Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Steve Kyler (hoopsworld) Trading Bogans?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I thought that entire thing was truth393's post, I didn't realize that was the article.

Kyler can say what he wants about fans being transaction fiend's, I can make the arguement that he is a little too relaxed in his opinion. We don't need to move Keith but he is an expiring contract and that is a trade chip. If they have no plans to resign him this offseason it would be smart to use the trade chip rather than watching yet another expiring deal walk away.

I dont understand why people dont get when a free agent walks, he doesnt leave us with nothing. In a time that we are looking to resign Turk, it could come down to pennies before going over the luxury tax. We basically have 2 options... Trade Bogans and get a player back of similar salary who may never even crack the rotation, or we can let Bogans walk and leave us with that much more room to sign Turk.

Sometimes the extra cap room is more valuable than trading for a scrub with a guarenteed contract.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

I thought that entire thing was truth393's post, I didn't realize that was the article.

Kyler can say what he wants about fans being transaction fiend's, I can make the arguement that he is a little too relaxed in his opinion. We don't need to move Keith but he is an expiring contract and that is a trade chip. If they have no plans to resign him this offseason it would be smart to use the trade chip rather than watching yet another expiring deal walk away.

I dont understand why people dont get when a free agent walks, he doesnt leave us with nothing. In a time that we are looking to resign Turk, it could come down to pennies before going over the luxury tax. We basically have 2 options... Trade Bogans and get a player back of similar salary who may never even crack the rotation, or we can let Bogans walk and leave us with that much more room to sign Turk.

Sometimes the extra cap room is more valuable than trading for a scrub with a guarenteed contract.

I do understand that, what you are missing is the value of an expiring contract. Just about every big trade that has put a team over the top in recent years has been made for a mix of players and expirings. In the little time we have leading up to the 2010 bonaza those expirings are going to be worth as much as picks to teams trying to clear space. No I don't think we get an impact player for a 3 mill slot but it is an asset that we have available. Letting it expire if you know you will be resigning Turk is fine, if you don't think you will be able to resign him then you **** well better use him as an asset along with any expirings.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

Guys like D.J. Strawberry and Sean Singletary will both have a hard time making their team roster, and I will gladly accept either one of them over Wilks.

I haven't seen enough of Strawberry to have an opinion of him, but Singletary has no business on an NBA roster, and if these players get cut, there is a reason for it.

I will rather have either one of them as a 3rd pg over Wilks.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do understand that, what you are missing is the value of an expiring contract. Just about every big trade that has put a team over the top in recent years has been made for a mix of players and expirings. In the little time we have leading up to the 2010 bonaza those expirings are going to be worth as much as picks to teams trying to clear space. No I don't think we get an impact player for a 3 mill slot but it is an asset that we have available. Letting it expire if you know you will be resigning Turk is fine, if you don't think you will be able to resign him then you **** well better use him as an asset along with any expirings.

I do understand the value of an expiring contract. It is valuable because it is useful in cap flexibility. I think our top priority is cap flexibility right now because it should be priority #1 to resign Turk over gambling on a player we get back for a backup player and an expiring contract. Now I agree as well that if there are no plans on resigning Turk then yea, we definitely should trade Bogans. I just think Otis is in the mindset that he needs to resign Turk, as he is a huge part of this team, and will be tough to replace.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do understand the value of an expiring contract. It is valuable because it is useful in cap flexibility. I think our top priority is cap flexibility right now because it should be priority #1 to resign Turk over gambling on a player we get back for a backup player and an expiring contract. Now I agree as well that if there are no plans on resigning Turk then yea, we definitely should trade Bogans. I just think Otis is in the mindset that he needs to resign Turk, as he is a huge part of this team, and will be tough to replace.

Cap flexibility is unnecessary for Turk, since we can go over the CAP to sign him. The issue isn't whether or not we can resign Turk, it will be an issue of whether or not we want to.

Kyler's comparision of this group to last years group is flawed. We have 2 PG's and that's a concern given the frailty of Jameer. After watching Chalmers get eaten alive yesterday by Eddie Gill, I'm even less optimistic Lee is an effective option there.

Pietrus is effectively our 3rd SF. We don't have to trade 1 one of the other SG's, but we need a 3rd PG, and could use another viable option at PF.

As Acres said, Bogans days here appear to be numbered, if he can help facilitate such a deal, it would be a waist not to.

The Magic are planning to keep 13 players for a reason. We need a 3rd PG & Otis wants to remain as flexible as possible to make that happen. A blind man could see that.

" Yes, it's obvious the Magic have some players they are not going to use in the regular season, but when you factor in injuries, and the pace at which the Magic play, giving away depth, and more importantly depth that knows and understands your system is bad basketball "

Of course it's bad basketball. But that's not something Gundy has figured out yet. Bogans was his starter last year, for crying out loud. A guy that would be a third stringer in every other NBA team. He'll continue to sit Gortat and give his minutes to injury-prone dinosours like Battie and Foyle.

Just because a person has been put in the position of running things doesn't mean his ideas make any sense.

Van Dumby is as good at coaching as Hugo Chavez is at running his country down in Venezuela.