Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

An Argument for Rashard

quote:
But the truth remains that, if it's just about winning basketball games, that star system, and an obsession with points, can be a burden. (A lot of "stat geek" work is really the quest to isolate what, beyond obvious stuff like points, really matters to winning.) Childress made clear that in his conversations with Olympiakos, and with other people knowledgeable about European basketball, he learned that the system was different in Europe. "I assumed that I'd have to go average 20, 22 points a game here," he explains. "But the Euroleague MVP most years averages like 12 points, five rebounds, and five assists. It's an award that the guy who actually helps his team win the most wins. ... My coaches here just want me to be versatile, and to play four positions, and to help the team win as many ways as I can." Some of that mentality wouldn't hurt the NBA any.

As Josh Childress makes his way across the pond, it occurs to me how much this mirrors Rashard's contribution to our team.

On the flipside, Rashard is being paid very, very lucratively to be flexible for his team.

Is this any kind of justification for Rashard's seemingly low production last season?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-84/Say-Goodbye...-Soul-Searching.html

quote:
But the truth remains that, if it's just about winning basketball games, that star system, and an obsession with points, can be a burden. (A lot of "stat geek" work is really the quest to isolate what, beyond obvious stuff like points, really matters to winning.) Childress made clear that in his conversations with Olympiakos, and with other people knowledgeable about European basketball, he learned that the system was different in Europe. "I assumed that I'd have to go average 20, 22 points a game here," he explains. "But the Euroleague MVP most years averages like 12 points, five rebounds, and five assists. It's an award that the guy who actually helps his team win the most wins. ... My coaches here just want me to be versatile, and to play four positions, and to help the team win as many ways as I can." Some of that mentality wouldn't hurt the NBA any.

As Josh Childress makes his way across the pond, it occurs to me how much this mirrors Rashard's contribution to our team.

On the flipside, Rashard is being paid very, very lucratively to be flexible for his team.

Is this any kind of justification for Rashard's seemingly low production last season?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-84/Say-Goodbye...-Soul-Searching.html

I'm not too sure Rashard is or was ever being paid to be flexible for us. We brought him in before we knew Battie would be out for the season and we made the adjustment, he stepped up and took one for the team, and with his help it netted us 52 wins and a second round playoff berth.

all josh childress just said in that entire paragraph is...in Greece, I only half to work half as hard and i'll make twice as much!...blahhh to overpaid athletes, while i sit in super debt about to start med school...

Sportsfanatic, you're in debt before med school? Man, I'm in super debt just from med school and then getting paid peanuts through residency. I feel your pain!!! And people think Doctors are Rich!?! Hah!!

The OP brings up a great point. Rashard averaged over 20 ppg before he came here, and took on a tough move to the PF so they could keep their best players (Hedo) in the game, and spread the floor for Dwight. And oh, by the way, he stayed healthy the entire year, which he hadn't done before.

If we traded for a defensive PF and started him next year, like some of the people who are oeverreacting to the Detroit loss want us to do, when we lose in the playoffs next year (and lets face it, there's a 95% chance of that happening), the same people would be in here next summer yelling and screaming that we needed more scoring.

Hey No Doc's are Rich until they have atleast 10-15 yrs under their belt! LOL

that's enough to take care of the edumecation lol

it's crazy thou

Lewis is a stud thou, his numbers went down a lil bit, but he dang did them playing much stronger competition at the 4

I think that with his ability to score people feel reluctant to give him credit because his numbers were down. Its not the big issue though and I believe that when healthy our team as it stands can compete with the best.

Lewis does what he is asked and he is trying not cause ripples because of his paycheck. He wants to be on a team and its not his fault he had to play out of position but he did it and never complained.

Team player and it will make him much better when he moves back to the SF position.

Here is a argument for Rashard. We all understand that he is over paid. However he is only over paid by 3 million or so. If Rashard signed a 5 year 85 million dollar deal, starting at 13 million, what most people believed that he should have signed for. His contract would be similar to Dwight's and he would be in the 2nd year of that deal that would pay him about 14.5 million. This year Rashard is going to make 17.2 million. Thats a difference or around 3 million. Now 3 million or so would help quite a bit right now with us trying to sign role players and stay under the tax and it could come in handy trying to resign Turk next year but its only around 3 million and its a done deal. So lets move on.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Sure, if he were playing in the Euroleague. But here, in the NBA, teams pay big dollars to fill up the stat sheets, leading to SportsCenter features, leading to more team exposure, leading to more fans, leading to more revenue.

As for Smoothhands claim that Shard is only being overpaid by 3 million. That's only in his 2nd season playing under that ridiculous contract. Do the calculations in 4 more years at a 10.5% pay raise annualy.

YOu think we're having problems now filling out our roster and maintaining cap flexibility. In 4 years there will be no hope for that whatsoever.

I hope Devos has been investing responsibly in Google and Apple shares of stock, because that's the only way he doesn't pay 10-15 million in LT penalties come 2010-2012.