Sign in to follow this  
Luke_FfS

Dooling not returning to O. Magic (O. Sen)

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

We keep on talking about Hedo and next year and how much money he is worth. But who has cap space next year? What is next years FA class like? Wouldn't we benefit with a large class then a small class like this year? Or perhaps the more important thing is the amount of teams under the cap...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

quote:

quote:
It's really not that diificult, until you factor in the possible Hedo contract extension nightmare that Otis will be faced with. How much exactly is Hedo worth if Shard is making 22 million? LOL

I think you hit it right on the head there. Otis is thinking about next year.

Which is great, but he better not sacrifice this season to save our billionaire owner 1-2 million.

I've said it before, for an operation of this magnitude, that takes in a reported 89 million in revenue (claimed on tax records - wink, wink), has an operating budget in the 100's of millions, and has a new arena on the way...it just doesn't seem that important to sell 2nd round picks, not puchase 2nd round picks because the price tag was too steep, and get stingy with player contracts to the tune of 1 million when that player fills a very important roles on a team that is one step away from the Finals (especially when you have a track record of overpaying players).

Put more simply...Why nickel and dime Dooling over 1 million, when that 1 million likely represents less than 1% of your operating budget, and could realistically represent the difference between a 2nd round appearance and a Finals appearance?

Put even more simply...Just put a friggin team on the court capable of winning a championship and forget about the pinch-a-penny antics.

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

Bad news here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...1008,0,4319742.story

I hope they're wrong.

I like the fact that Pietrus contract seems to be cheaper than predicted.

I hope he gets a good contract and a good home. I liked him from day 1 - many didn't like him, but I always thought he was a good backup.

I wish him the best.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

quote:
It's really not that diificult, until you factor in the possible Hedo contract extension nightmare that Otis will be faced with. How much exactly is Hedo worth if Shard is making 22 million? LOL

I think you hit it right on the head there. Otis is thinking about next year.

Put even more simply...Just put a friggin team on the court capable of winning a championship and forget about the pinch-a-penny antics.

Most excellent points amde her gentlemen! I can remember during the public hearings for the confounded arena, that not only did they antie up $25 additional million, but they also agreed to build basketball courts all around the darn city, to get the deal done.

The point is that, this is not the time for the nickel and dime friggin routine that, by the way "Ran Shaq" striaght to L.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Point...counterpoint!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

I do not think it is this year, but the following years.....

They are not willing to go over just to sign someone like Dooling, to a multi-year contract...

I can see that. The reason is, contracts typically increase 8% annualy while the salary cap has only been increasing 6-7% annualy. Therefore, simple math tells us that in 1-2 years, the Magic would be over the luxury tax if they were close to it this year. But...

A new Arena and true championship contention, should generate enough revenue to alleviate any anxiety over the luxury tax.

And if they're really, really worried about the luxury tax, then they should structure contracts accordingly.

Example: Pay Dooling 5 million this year, 4.5 million next year, and 4 million the following year. The contract would average 4.5 million, which would be a 1 million per year pay increase, but front-loading it would help them avoid the luxury tax.

I think the going rate for 6'10" Small forwards in Orlando is $1 million a year per point scored. So, with Hedo coming off the bench they hope to keep his point total to under 16 points per game thus getting a bargain on him with a contract starting at $16m a year. If he averages say 16.4 points a game then they'll round it up to $17 m a year, because they won't be able to extend him a 6th year. That seems only fair.

Just offering another piece of wisdom here.

Someone has to do it now that Warriorsfan05 is gone.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Hey guys you still have Carlos the Redeemer Arroyo under the slevee. Knappy beware.LOL

I saw an article where the Magic could possibly sign Arroyo for the minimum.

We'll, the good thing about that is .... at least we can have some more Carlos / Jameer threads - they never get old. And, regardless of how Jameer or Carlos plays - Carlos should be the starter - there is always a stat to find to prove it. I mean Carlos is easily a 1/2" taller than Jameer. And, it is not proven that Jameer has more of a vertical leap.

I poke fun at Carlos, but I don't think he does much for this team - I'd like to see him find a spot on another team where he brings something different and gets to be a backup (that is a nice way of saying - I am as excited about him as I am Keith Bogans - except I think Bogans brings a little more to the table - sad to say).

I think Carlos should go to NJ with Brian Hill. LOL.

I too hope Dooling gets a good home...I just hope he doesnt go to Detroit or Boston...please.

and as much as I wouldn't prefer it, I wouldn't mind it too much if he went to Miami.

of course, I'd rather him go to...say...New Orleans, or Utah...two of my favorite teams in basketball who are on the rise, but also have a great chance to contend now.

actually, check that...I'd rather him go to Orlando.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

I saw an article where the Magic could possibly sign Arroyo for the minimum.

I wouldn't want Carlos back for a reggeaton mix tape.

Nothing against Carlos or J-Will, but we need a backup point who plays D, not a different version of matador D.