Sign in to follow this  
ReeceGaines

Why we can't ever trade Hedo, even for equal worth

one thing I like about Rashard in the playoffs was he was doing all the little things like going after loose balls and hustling every chance he had an oportunity, hopefully that will continue.

as for the Hedo situation..it is bad any way you look at it. No you don't want to trade a player that was huge for us last year but, I can see him jetting off to another team next summer able to offer him more money. The magic have already said they will not be going over the luxury tax. Otis needs to stop being best friends with the players and understand the he needs to make the decisions that will make this a better franshise. Dwight clearly needs someone to get his back in the paint and I don't think Battie is up for that.

Thank you, Reece! I've been saying this forever. Not to mention if you put a natural PF on the floor the whole game, Dwight is going to get double teamed every single time he touches the ball. And he's not near ready for that next.

Oh, and check out this list of who could be free agents next summer, and tell me if you think Hedo's going to be in the top 10 of anybody with cap space's list. Someone might try and sign him with their mid-level, and that's about it.

Kobe Bryant, Carlos Boozer, Allen Iverson, Ron Artest, Richard Hamilton, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, Andre Miller, Lamar Odom and Rasheed Wallace can become unrestricted free agents next year. Restricted free agents include Marvin Williams, Raymond Felton, Jason Maxiell, Danny Granger, Andrew Bogut, David Lee, Channing Frye, Jamario Moon, Paul Milsap, and Deron Williams.

Oh, and let's actually look at the economics of the situation.

Hedo makes 6.86 mil/year, and will be coming off the books. $2.55 from Bogans, $3.5 from Cook, $2.1 from JJ, and $700k from Gortat will be coming off the books. Heck, you tack the 3.5 mil from Cook onto Hedo's salary, and you're talking about the same 5 year $50 mil Maggette just got. And there's no way any team is going to use their cap room to give him that deal. The only thing that screws that up is if you package those players for a guy making that salary with a longer contract. Which is why I highly doubt you'll see a big package for a guy with like Wilcox/Collison. We need those deals to come off the books in the summer for Hedo money.

You've got to fill out the back of the roster with either cheap signings or good draft picks, but you can still stay under the tax.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

Oh, and let's actually look at the economics of the situation.

Hedo makes 6.86 mil/year, and will be coming off the books. $2.55 from Bogans, $3.5 from Cook, $2.1 from JJ, and $700k from Gortat will be coming off the books. Heck, you tack the 3.5 mil from Cook onto Hedo's salary, and you're talking about the same 5 year $50 mil Maggette just got. And there's no way any team is going to use their cap room to give him that deal. The only thing that screws that up is if you package those players for a guy making that salary with a longer contract. Which is why I highly doubt you'll see a big package for a guy with like Wilcox/Collison. We need those deals to come off the books in the summer for Hedo money.

You've got to fill out the back of the roster with either cheap signings or good draft picks, but you can still stay under the tax.

Cook's contract doesn't expire this year, and even if it did, your plan is still to have 2 players with similar games who play the same position making more than 25 million dollars next year, which is around 40% of the CAP, and neither is remotely close to being our best player. That is why this notion that we HAVE to keep Hedo for a *reasonable* salary is ridiculous. Whether you think he's better than Rashard or not is irrelevant; what matters is we can't move forward keeping both, and one of them is completely unmovable. The choice here is pretty clear.