Sign in to follow this  
Jameera Nelshon

Need a PG?; Arroyo is one of the top restricted agents this summer

Everybody that watched the playoffs knows that Jameer wasn't the reason for all those turnovers, it was Hedo/Shard.

Jameer actually did a great job, throughout the playoffs at handling the ball.

Regular season assist/turnover ratio doesn't mean anything, since a lot of CA's assists came during garbage minutes anyway.

dude the only respect that meer deserves was the playoffs agaisnt raptors and if you want my honest opinion,that wasnt his job he is a point not a shooting guard,but then again im glad he took control over the situation if not raptors couldve came on ,on top.

other than than non of you can say meer is a true point guard,alley-oops to d12,.i can even do that please give me a break.

quote:
Originally posted by alex30:

other than than non of you can say meer is a true point guard,alley-oops to d12,.i can even do that please give me a break.

Do I need to go back to the game threads and quote you every time you got excited to see Arroyo throw an alley-oop pass to Dwight?

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by alex30:

Do I need to go back to the game threads and quote you every time you got excited to see Arroyo throw an alley-oop pass to Dwight?

That was nice..LoL

Has anyone actually taken a look at the free agent list that was provided? All 3 of our free agents are listed ahead of Artest. Diop is listed ahead of Allen Iverson and Corey Maggette. Kurt Thomas is the second best free agent listed. Its definitely good for a laugh...I just can't imagine the "expert" that would throw out this list without second guessing his formula.

quote:
emory889 posted:

Has anyone actually taken a look at the free agent list that was provided? All 3 of our free agents are listed ahead of Artest. Diop is listed ahead of Allen Iverson and Corey Maggette. Kurt Thomas is the second best free agent listed. Its definitely good for a laugh...I just can't imagine the "expert" that would throw out this list without second guessing his formula.

You are right, who wrote the list (David Berri) just second guessed the usual stats and developed another way of analyzing the individual players performances. It is just another "look", and I think that it can be helpful in determining who are the best players available. Take a look to the new "look" yourself:

quote:
For several years now, baseball professionals (and rotisserie-league wannabes) have used so-called sabermetrics to judge a player's objective value based on his individual statistics. Of course, because one bats or pitches in baseball without the help of teammates, it is easy to separate a player from his team. Plus, the numbers in baseball are easy to understand: a home run clearly creates more wins than a single.

Basketball, however, is a true team sport, and thus the numbers are not as obvious. Which is more valuable, a basket scored or the assist that made it possible? Is a rebound more valuable than a blocked shot?

This is not such a mystery if we are judging the individual impact of, say, Michael Jordan, a player who excelled at every facet of the game. Most N.B.A. players, though, are not "Like Mike." Rather, they contribute in only one or two aspects of basketball, and ascertaining the relative value of such diverse talents is difficult.

To make it possible to compare the apples and oranges, it helps to look at each statistic in terms of how it contributes to wins. So, along with two other economists, Martin Schmidt of the College of William and Mary and Stacey Brook of the University of Sioux Falls, I developed an algorithm that measures a player's "wins produced" for his team.

The algorithm begins with the factors tracked for individual players: points, field goal attempts, free throw attempts, turnovers and so on. Then, through a fairly standard statistical analysis, it links these factors to team victories. What we find is that each point, rebound and steal has relatively the same positive impact on wins. Each field goal attempt and turnover has an equal negative effect. The other statistics

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Means Otis + Jameerr's stupid contract + Jameer's best friend with franchise player + need to cover up stupid contract = Otis's Job

Alright that "could" be debatable. But how do you explain that he wasn't even able to get the backup minutes of Dooling?

note: Dooling has a lesser contract than Arroyo

Because Carlos rol with the Magic was Starting Part-time point guard.Lol,

How can you explain that when Jameer was down Carlos took the starting position and Dooling didn't.

SImple, Dooling is an energy guy off the bench is more of a combo guard than a PG, regardless, he still played more minutes when Arroyo started for the team. Also, Dooling plays more defense than Arroyo.

Well, the fact you say Arroyo is a part-time starting PG of this team, then shouldn't he have been the backup PG coz any team would be better of having 2 starting pG in their rotation?

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:

Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:CarlosDarwin wrote:

Means Otis + Jameerr's stupid contract + Jameer's best friend with franchise player + need to cover up stupid contract = Otis's Job

FENDI wrote:

Alright that "could" be debatable. But how do you explain that he wasn't even able to get the backup minutes of Dooling?

note: Dooling has a lesser contract than Arroyo

RDZ wrote:

Because Carlos rol with the Magic was Starting Part-time point guard.Lol,

How can you explain that when Jameer was down Carlos took the starting position and Dooling didn't.

FENDI wrote:

SImple, Dooling is an energy guy off the bench is more of a combo guard than a PG, regardless, he still played more minutes when Arroyo started for the team. Also, Dooling plays more defense than Arroyo.

Well, the fact you say Arroyo is a part-time starting PG of this team, then shouldn't he have been the backup PG coz any team would be better of having 2 starting pG in their rotation?

Why your persistence in trying to minus value Arroyo, every one knows he is a better PG than both Dooling and Nelson. Why Arroyo played 20.5 minutes per game during the season and Dooling 18.5? Why Arroyo started all the games when Nelson was "injured" and not Dooling? FENDI, this is a very old discussion, the point is that according to David Berri's stats Arroyo is one of the top unrestricted PG agents that is available right now! That it is! OK!

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Why your persistence in trying to minus value Arroyo, every one knows he is a better PG than both Dooling and Nelson. Why Arroyo played 20.5 minutes per game during the season and Dooling 18.5? Why Arroyo started all the games when Nelson was "injured" and not Dooling? FENDI, this is a very old discussion, the point is that according to David Berri's stats Arroyo is one of the top unrestricted PG agents that is available right now! That it is! OK!

You're right, this is an old argument.

For the same reason Guokus used Morlon Wiley as the backup, but used Scott Skiles or Sam Vincent as the starter.

quote:

I know this is an old discussion but I certainly think Arroyo is overrated. Is he a good point guard? yes. But he will never be the Carlos Arroyo that plays superb in international competitions.

Do I agree that Carlos is one of the top UFA available? Yes. But I am answering to the fact that this discussion title actually suggests Arroyo as the answer to our PG woes.