Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

No Big man in he draft???

with all the talk about the magic trading with portland in the second round i thought that when portland drafted joey dorsey he was going to be on the magic. boy i was wrong.

otis you suck.

If we trade Hedo, we need a playmaker to help Jameer so now instead of just trading Hedo in an attempt to obtain a playmaker we are also going to need to request a big as well. How many other teams are going to be willing (or able) to part with a big and a play maker for Hedo and filler?

This is going to be extremely tough.

I am new to this mb, but I have been a magic fan since their first year. There wasn't one dominant big man in last nights draft. Jason Thompson from Rider a lottery pick? There was no greg oden, or superman in this draft. I am glad we didn't reach for a big with "potential." we took a solid, polished player that can come in a contibute unlike a 6-8 PF that ways 220? You call that a tweener in this league that will end up over seas. Arthur is not a better prospect than Julian Wright was last year and he is a SF now.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I was, up until I gave it some thought. I'm sure Najera won't be the best big available when it's all said and done. There will be teams who decide to part ways with valuable guys whether it's a salary cap move, or they're just moving forward with their younger players.

I just can't imagine Otis not getting a PF before it's all said and done. I just can't.

Jareth - Do you seriously think teams are going to simply waive players that could be of substantial value around the league? Maybe after the trade deadline, but I doubt very much that it happens any time before that.

All we had to do was pick up a 2nd round pick. A need could have been very easily filled, and we did squat.

You saw the guys in the Magic war room on the live cast. They were all sitting around with their arms folded. Nobody working the phones. Nobody dashing in and out of the office. Once again, they were completely content to land the prize they had their eyes on all along.

Otis is so narrow-minded, and near-sighted.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

If we trade Hedo, we need a playmaker to help Jameer so now instead of just trading Hedo in an attempt to obtain a playmaker we are also going to need to request a big as well. How many other teams are going to be willing (or able) to part with a big and a play maker for Hedo and filler?

Unless we were to maybe go after a very good passing big who plays great defense and wants out of his current location because he hates his coach, and whose team wants to get rid of him because they overpaid him so badly, and now they have to try to resign two other players to max extensions. If only there were some player like that we could potentially trade for. Man, if a player like that existed, it'd almost be like he wanted to break you....

And if anyone posts something directed to me, and I don't respond, it's only because I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!

Last night was the fianl straw for me on Otis. Arthur fell right in our laps and Otis didn't act. Instead he went with the guy he fell in love with. The pick was cleary predetermined. I hope Lee turns out to be a great player, but the excuses for Otis need to end.

CDR, Hendrix, Chalmers, Dorsey, etc were all there for the taking in the 2nd round. Otis didn't even have to do much to get another pick, but as usual, he was content with himself.

I was upset about the Magic passing on Arthur, but I think everybody would agree that Lee is a complete player that can contribute. So my issue isn't with the pick at #22.

A draft of Lee & Dorsey would be great. A draft of Lee, Chalmers & Hendrix would be outstanding. There would be nothing wrong with getting both CDR and Lee IMO since CDR dropped to #40.

My problem is with the Magic front office not making a move to acquire a 2nd round pick as they had identified they would prior to the draft. This draft was tailor made for the Magic to fill a few roster spots to add depth to our bench.

IMO, this will go down as one of the best 2nd rounds ever. And we didn't get anything out of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Unless we were to maybe go after a very good passing big who plays great defense and wants out of his current location because he hates his coach, and whose team wants to get rid of him because they overpaid him so badly, and now they have to try to resign two other players to max extensions. If only there were some player like that we could potentially trade for. Man, if a player like that existed, it'd almost be like he wanted to break you....

And if anyone posts something directed to me, and I don't respond, it's only because I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!

A+ material, thanks for cheering me up!

He would be perfect and I would be extremely happy to get him. Unfortunatley the 1 way telephones at RDV don't make outgoing calls.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I was upset about the Magic passing on Arthur, but I think everybody would agree that Lee is a complete player that can contribute. So my issue isn't with the pick at #22.

A draft of Lee & Dorsey would be great. A draft of Lee, Chalmers & Hendrix would be outstanding. There would be nothing wrong with getting both CDR and Lee IMO since CDR dropped to #40.

My problem is with the Magic front office not making a move to acquire a 2nd round pick as they had identified they would prior to the draft. This draft was tailor made for the Magic to fill a few roster spots to add depth to our bench.

IMO, this will go down as one of the best 2nd rounds ever. And we didn't get anything out of it.

I agree. I said the same thing last night. I was fine with Lee, it was the fact we did nothing else afterwards to fill our holes. I just can't understand how Otis thinks. Is he just in over his head as a GM or what? I'd say definitely.

First off you IMO over value Hedo's playmaking ability. I call it turnoverability.

He will never be THE playmaker on a championship team. The 6th man, yes I can see that. With Batie back he is our 6th man.

* Howard

* Batie

* Rashard

* Bogans/ Maybe, Maybe Lee later on in season

* Nelson

To me it would have been perfect to put a young banger behind Batie, (from the Draft) to learn, and get some min,

and then go after the playmaker in the form of a PG or SG, Who, IDK

It's not that I think Hedo is Nash or something like that, it's more a comment on our situation. Jameer can't handle playmaking duties all on his own, right now Hedo is the only person that shoulders some of that load.

What I'm getting at is instead of calling up a team and saying hey how about Hedo for your rebounding defending PF, we are going to have to call up and say hey how about Hedo for your rebounding defending PF and your defending solid backup PG, at which point that team will laugh in our faces.