Sign in to follow this  
Rojogrande

Courtney Lee

Greeting Magic Fans. I have actually been a long time fan of the Magic. I have family that lives near Orlando. I was a student of WKU and have enjoyed watching Courtney play his college career there.

I wanted to point a few things out for some of you on this board. 1st and foremost. For those of you that say WKU is a small school. It is the fastest growing school in the state of KY and will soon surpass UK as the 2nd biggest school in the state. Also WKU is one of the 10 winningest college basketball programs of all times and have had our share of all-americans and pro players. We may play in a weak conference but we are not a weak school or basketball program. So don't think that is what you are getting from CLEE.

Now to talk about Courtney. After his outting against UCLA in the sweet 16 this season. He tied former All-American Jim Mcdaniels for the most career points at WKU with 2,238.

Since his freshman season he repeatedly had the best defender on every team we played guarding him. And just because he played weak conference competition, does not mean our out of conference competition was always the same. He had his GREAT games against the Tennessee's, SIU's, and Florida's of the world.

He is a stellar defender and could put the clamps down on ANYONE that he played against. I read on another thread where someone said he played the point at WKU for a season. That is a exaggeration. He partly played the point. That was the season his teamate (who was to be our PG) passed away. We had more of a PG by committee approach and he routinely brought the ball up the court. But because of his value at the wing he only did so when needed. He could improve his ball-handling ability. But that does not mean he has poor ball handling. He can drive the lane against anyone. Just ask Lebron James. He took it right at Lebron last summer.

Courtney has great athletic ability and is always a threat shooting the ball. He has a deadly mid-range pull up jumper and can drive the lane and finish very well. He is the most smooth player a lot of you have or will ever see in a magic uniform. And one thing he will do that will win you all over. He will bust his arse day in and day out. He has no quit in him whatsoever.

Also he is no Keith Bogans by any comparison. I watched Bogans play alot in college as well being as I grew up in KY. And trust me when I say this...Lee is 100x better then Bogans.

So fellow magic fans. Some of you may be uneasy about this pick right now and think that CDR shoud have been taken instead of Lee. But you will definately not be saying the same thing this time next season. Nelson, Lee, Turk, and Howard will be a good combination. Now hopefully another good big man can be picked up in the off-season and I am sure someone will pop open in a trade or FA which is why Arthur wasn't taken. However Lee was the right pick and right fit to help the organization.

I am glad to see CLEE in a Magic uniform.

--Rojogrande

Greeting Magic Fans. I have actually been a long time fan of the Magic. I have family that lives near Orlando. I was a student of WKU and have enjoyed watching Courtney play his college career there.

I wanted to point a few things out for some of you on this board. 1st and foremost. For those of you that say WKU is a small school. It is the fastest growing school in the state of KY and will soon surpass UK as the 2nd biggest school in the state. Also WKU is one of the 10 winningest college basketball programs of all times and have had our share of all-americans and pro players. We may play in a weak conference but we are not a weak school or basketball program. So don't think that is what you are getting from CLEE.

Now to talk about Courtney. After his outting against UCLA in the sweet 16 this season. He tied former All-American Jim Mcdaniels for the most career points at WKU with 2,238.

Since his freshman season he repeatedly had the best defender on every team we played guarding him. And just because he played weak conference competition, does not mean our out of conference competition was always the same. He had his GREAT games against the Tennessee's, SIU's, and Florida's of the world.

He is a stellar defender and could put the clamps down on ANYONE that he played against. I read on another thread where someone said he played the point at WKU for a season. That is a exaggeration. He partly played the point. That was the season his teamate (who was to be our PG) passed away. We had more of a PG by committee approach and he routinely brought the ball up the court. But because of his value at the wing he only did so when needed. He could improve his ball-handling ability. But that does not mean he has poor ball handling. He can drive the lane against anyone. Just ask Lebron James. He took it right at Lebron last summer.

Courtney has great athletic ability and is always a threat shooting the ball. He has a deadly mid-range pull up jumper and can drive the lane and finish very well. He is the most smooth player a lot of you have or will ever see in a magic uniform. And one thing he will do that will win you all over. He will bust his arse day in and day out. He has no quit in him whatsoever.

Also he is no Keith Bogans by any comparison. I watched Bogans play alot in college as well being as I grew up in KY. And trust me when I say this...Lee is 100x better then Bogans.

So fellow magic fans. Some of you may be uneasy about this pick right now and think that CDR shoud have been taken instead of Lee. But you will definately not be saying the same thing this time next season. Nelson, Lee, Turk, and Howard will be a good combination. Now hopefully another good big man can be picked up in the off-season and I am sure someone will pop open in a trade or FA which is why Arthur wasn't taken. However Lee was the right pick and right fit to help the organization.

I am glad to see CLEE in a Magic uniform.

--Rojogrande

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure about 75% of us are okay with picking Lee at 22...it was a need that was filled...

BUT, the thing that has ticked us off the most is the fact that our front office went to bed after #22...party was over...they were apparently satisfied with our team...

I am always an optimist, and there is still a great possiblity that when we wake up tomorrow that a big man is on our squad, but as the hours go on, the more and more concerned I am...

WKU ROTFLMAO!! My in laws are from Kentucky so I know more than a little about Western. Sorry but I think this whole draft night has been travesty for the Magic. Otis needs to find another job.

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

WKU ROTFLMAO!! My in laws are from Kentucky so I know more than a little about Western. Sorry but I think this whole draft night has been travesty for the Magic. Otis needs to find another job.

meaning what? enlighten me to what is so funny. Let me guess...your in-laws are UK hillbillies? Send them a message from me. Let them know how bad they sucked last season. And how last time we played them we spanked their butt on thier home court.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure about 75% of us are okay with picking Lee at 22...it was a need that was filled...

BUT, the thing that has ticked us off the most is the fact that our front office went to bed after #22...party was over...they were apparently satisfied with our team...

I am always an optimist, and there is still a great possiblity that when we wake up tomorrow that a big man is on our squad, but as the hours go on, the more and more concerned I am...

Yea I picked up on that. That is why I also said hopefully they go out and get another big man in the offseason. Trade JJ now before any NBA stock he might have drops like a rock.

--Rojogrande

Great post! I'm excited to see Courtney in the summer league.

I like the fact that he is a true slasher who crashes the hoop.

Maybe he can do what Ariza did and dunk on some fools.

quote:
Originally posted by Rojogrande:

quote:

You are right. UK does suck but WKU is not exactly a basketball dynasty.

meaning what? enlighten me to what is so funny. Let me guess...your in-laws are UK hillbillies? Send them a message from me. Let them know how bad they sucked last season. And how last time we played them we spanked their butt on thier home court.

quote:

quote:

quote:

your soooo right...20 NCAA tournament appearences, 13 NIT, 4 final fours, 28 all-americans, 40 conference titles, and 9th all time winningest program is nothing. What was I thinking trying to say Lee came from a good school.

--Rojogrande

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

your soooo right...20 NCAA tournament appearences, 13 NIT, 4 final fours, 28 all-americans, 40 conference titles, and 9th all time winningest program is nothing. What was I thinking trying to say Lee came from a good school.

--Rojogrande

I don't care what team is on the front of the jersey that resume is impressive.

Sorry to most of you magic fans on here. Didn't mean for this to turn into a college argument. I am just not gonna put up with someones incompetence about my school. So I had to set the record straight.

--Rojogrande

Dan Wetzel analysis:

quote:
Orlando is terrific at making terrible selections, but I like the pick of Courtney Lee of Western Kentucky. He gives the Magic a guard with a lot of NBA skills and size -- unlike their last backcourt picks of Jameer Nelson and J.J. Redick