Sign in to follow this  
Luke_FfS

Twardzik list (Orl. Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by Orlando Sentinel:

Looking for basketball IQ

Twardzik has seen some amazing athletes, but high on his scouting checklist is "basketball IQ. We look for guys who have a great feel for the game and make right decisions," he said. "We don't put a lot of emphasis on statistics. It's more what we see on the floor."

Twardzik says the Magic "draft as if no else is drafting."

They rank their top 30 players and cross them off as they are picked. They fit a need only if the talent is comparable. Twardzik cautions fans who study mock drafts. "My list is way different" he said.

My attention is on the quote:

"My list is way different"

I'm a little worried right now, but maybe it could be a positive factor.

Any thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by Orlando Sentinel:

Looking for basketball IQ

Twardzik has seen some amazing athletes, but high on his scouting checklist is "basketball IQ. We look for guys who have a great feel for the game and make right decisions," he said. "We don't put a lot of emphasis on statistics. It's more what we see on the floor."

Twardzik says the Magic "draft as if no else is drafting."

They rank their top 30 players and cross them off as they are picked. They fit a need only if the talent is comparable. Twardzik cautions fans who study mock drafts. "My list is way different" he said.

My attention is on the quote:

"My list is way different"

I'm a little worried right now, but maybe it could be a positive factor.

Any thoughts?

Which is exactly why he drafted Todd Fuller over Kobe in 1996....Twardzik scares me to a level I cannot even begin to describe. I really don't know how he still has a job after all the blunders he made in Golden State. With the 22nd pick in the 2008 NBA draft the Orlando Magic select Academic All American Drew Neitzel.

Thank god he doesn't have the final say.

Remember, when he says his list is way different, I think he is saying that his top 30 are in a different order than the mock drafts. That is because it sounds like his list is in order of players he likes the most, as opposed to the mock drafts order being that of what teams need and sound like they will pick.

Here's a quote from the article:

quote:

After some dismal outcomes in recent years with late picks, the Magic need to find a gem in this unpredictable draft. "There's always self-imposed pressure, but that's OK," Twardzik said. Their list of players who could be available at 22 is as long as 10. Who will they pick? Let's check the secretive Twardzik's itinerary for clues: He twice saw Rider forward Jason Thompson. He expects this draft to be deep. "You can get somebody in the 20s who can help you," Twardzik said.

Chad Ford has him going at Number 20 to the Nuggets. I'm going to provide a link for those that are interested. This dude has put up some monster numbers! Check it yourself:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/playe...19222&draftyear=2008

is he serious? kobe is a pretty smart basketball player.... i bet todd fuller was too, but kobe has that will to win, he maybe an ***, but he has a pretty good 'i'm not losing tonight' feel to him. is there a category for that in this guy's picking scheme? is this guy the reason players like danny schayes and jerel sasser got drafted? and players like bruce bowen and ben wallace didn't get drafted?... f word.

quote:
Originally posted by BigLebowski50:

Thompson does seem intriguing..... I've never seen him play, but i'm OK with a risk/reward pick at 22.

Check this link. It gives his stats for very game of his last season. Look how well he played against some top schools like Kansas State(Michael Beasley), N.C. State and Penn State:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=23138

Thanks for the link....The guy put up some pretty impressive stats....and apparently even could hit the college 3 on occasion.....20 points/12 boards/3 blocks per game/ 1 steal per game.....the only knock on him was the weaker schedule... but as you said, he held his own against Kansas State....an intriguing prospect for sure...

Here is his draft express profile.... Draft Express Profile - Jason Thompson

I know Dave has a terrible draft record, 12 other gms' did too. too lazy to check what number Kobe was picked.

Dave has been handling the draft for us since 2004. And he has a pretty nice record.

Proven players:

Dwight, Jameer, Zaza, Diener, Varejao

Jury still our:

JJ and Fran

Likely bust:

Augustine

I know only a few is still on our team but letting them go is basically not in his control as a scout.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Here's a quote from the article:

quote:

After some dismal outcomes in recent years with late picks, the Magic need to find a gem in this unpredictable draft. "There's always self-imposed pressure, but that's OK," Twardzik said. Their list of players who could be available at 22 is as long as 10. Who will they pick? Let's check the secretive Twardzik's itinerary for clues: He twice saw Rider forward Jason Thompson. He expects this draft to be deep. "You can get somebody in the 20s who can help you," Twardzik said.

Chad Ford has him going at Number 20 to the Nuggets. I'm going to provide a link for those that are interested. This dude has put up some monster numbers! Check it yourself:

Am I the only one thinking that if a GM/Scout gives a name to a journalist, this player isn't going to be selected?

They usually try to hide this type of choice...

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I know Dave has a terrible draft record, 12 other gms' did too. too lazy to check what number Kobe was picked.

Dave has been handling the draft for us since 2004. And he has a pretty nice record.

Proven players:

Dwight, Jameer, Zaza, Diener, Varejao

Jury still our:

JJ and Fran

Likely bust:

Augustine

I know only a few is still on our team but letting them go is basically not in his control as a scout.

We traded for Jameer, we didn't pick him.

We traded Varejao

And everyone has a say when you have the first pick.

I normally wouldn't be so hard on the scouting department because it's so hard to draft players in the NBA, but our track record is so terrible that you can't help but to say "what the hell?"