Sign in to follow this  
JUNY

good news,corey maggette!

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

My guess is it would have to be a sign and trade ... and cost us Hedo.

I was thinking the same thing Soul Bro... and I don't think that's a bad thing. Assuming we aquire a secodn draft pick and get a PF and a SG (CDR or Rush) in the draft.

We could move Lewis back to SF where he belongs, start Battie at PF until the rookie was up to speed, use Bogans (and Mo if he stays with the team) to back up the SF and SG positions until the other rookie is ready, then keep them in the SF back up roll.

No need to resign Dooling in that scenario (Not crazy about him in the backup PG position), and we would still have the MLE to try to get a decent back up PG wouldn't we?

Jameer/MLE Acquistion

Maggette/Draft Pick/Mogans

Lewis/Mogans

Battie/Draft Pick/Lewis

Dwight/Gortat/Battie

Echo, nice post. Totally agree.

BTW, Since Otis is so high on Hedo, and Maggette is basically free to leave the Clippers, I think we definitely have the upper hand here, and should be getting a little something extra in the deal to entice Otis to pull the trigger. Not sure what though, just something so consider.

ALso, I'm not claiming this is what the Magic will or should do, just a possible idea if they were intent on landing Maggette.

we all want to see this team succeed and if a NBA championship comes out of getting rid of hedo i would do it. since he opted out, he becomes an unrestricted free-agent and i dont think LA will want hedo because they have al thorton quinton ross and marcus williams...they can get another youngster outta the draft

I was just looking over their roster and the pickings are slim. Not much there of any value other than Josh Powell who looked like a decent backup big/energy guy, Quinton Ross is a decent defensive 2, Brevin Knight who is a decent (but SMALL) PG, and the very over priced Cuttino Mobley. It would have to be for the pick as well.

Anyone else find it interesting that Corey and TJ Ford's salaries match up perfect, the need for both teams matches up perfect and yet nothing happened here? I would have thought that Tor and LA would have worked something out with Corey and made it happen, only thing I can think of is he had no desire to go to Tor.

Soldja... Don't discount the amount of fans Hedo puts into the stands in LA when he is playing AGAINST the home team... imagine if he played for them!

Merc... If I was a GM, i'm not so sure I would trade my lunch for Ford after his injuries, let alone solid talent. That's just scary.

quote:
Soldja... Don't discount the amount of fans Hedo puts into the stands in LA when he is playing AGAINST the home team... imagine if he played for them!

kinda like carlos does when we play miami huh?

quote:

Merc... If I was a GM, i'm not so sure I would trade my lunch for Ford after his injuries, let alone solid talent. That's just scary.

I agree but if you are going to lose Corey anyhow (I'm guessing he told them he wanted to opt out) wouldn't you try to work out something to get something in return? I know TJ has other years on his contract but from what I understood there was a clause in it about spinal injury.

Even if they don't go that route, why (and this will sound odd coming from a Magic fan) would you not try to get something for one of your best trade asset's?

quote:
quote:

I agree but if you are going to lose Corey anyhow (I'm guessing he told them he wanted to opt out) wouldn't you try to work out something to get something in return? I know TJ has other years on his contract but from what I understood there was a clause in it about spinal injury.

Even if they don't go that route, why (and this will sound odd coming from a Magic fan) would you not try to get something for one of your best trade asset's?

i still think it goes back to the fact that maggette doesnt want to play for toronto(like u said earlier marc) plus toronto would be SLAUGHTERED at PG and be over run with SG/SF...well mayb they should do this...haha

I don't know if this is good news for us, but it is for somebody. Maggette didn't opt out to re-sign with LA & I doubt he did so with unrealistic expectations either. The only way he returns to the Clips is if they break the bank & that ain't gonna happen.

SnT for Hedo, u guys have to be high. He's a UFA, Clips have zero leverage here. That would be so far beyond dumb, Otis should be drawn and quartered on the spot if he did it. Name me the last SnT that was intentionally an even deal?

Like I said... we have the upperhand in this scenario, and we would definitely have to get something else in the deal.

Including dumping a contract or two like Cook for instance.

Of course, all of this is based on Otis actually wanting Maggette, and not being able to get him for the MLE.

not to mention that Maggettee can play the 3 as well so we could still use Lewis at the 4 and "surround Dwight with shooters" if the situation warrents it. It essentially allows us to be more flexible with our starting lineup and keep our best players on the floor at the same time. Essentially we could keep the same starting 5 (with Maggette playing Hedo's spot and a potential upgrade at SG with our #22 pick) when we play teams with weak big men. When we play the detroits and utahs we move lewis back to the 3 maggettee to the 2 and battie/new PF at the 4.

In short, our roster would become more versatile