Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Ryan Anderson(Cal) is coming to workout - Anybody got a take?(Sac. Bee)

quote:

He's not an NBA player yet, and Ryan Anderson is already acting like a rookie.

"So when I get on the plane," he asks trainer and friend Guss Armstead after their latest workout Friday, "do I wear the suit then or can I be casual?"

The formal process begins today for Anderson, the Oak Ridge High School graduate who has yet to decide whether to return to Cal for his junior season or enter the draft. He will work out with the "ORLANDO MAGIC" first, looking to impress and receive assurances he'll be selected in the first round if he doesn't withdraw his name from consideration by the June 16 deadline.

Another power forward. Sounds good to me!

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/981267.html

quote:

He's not an NBA player yet, and Ryan Anderson is already acting like a rookie.

"So when I get on the plane," he asks trainer and friend Guss Armstead after their latest workout Friday, "do I wear the suit then or can I be casual?"

The formal process begins today for Anderson, the Oak Ridge High School graduate who has yet to decide whether to return to Cal for his junior season or enter the draft. He will work out with the "ORLANDO MAGIC" first, looking to impress and receive assurances he'll be selected in the first round if he doesn't withdraw his name from consideration by the June 16 deadline.

Another power forward. Sounds good to me!

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/981267.html

Ryan Anderson is an impressive talent. He's young, but polished in many areas. He has the whole package, but he is inexperienced due to his age. His draft position will likely improve drastically if he returns to Cal for another year or two.

It's kinda scary that all these underclassmen have entered the draft looking for a 1st round guarantee, otherwise threatening to go back to school. That will make it tricky to determine if it's worth a pick or not.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Well, to me if he did play at the camp, then I see us strongly making a play for a 2nd round pick.

"He will work out with the "ORLANDO MAGIC" first, looking to impress and receive assurances he'll be selected in the first round if he doesn't withdraw his name from consideration by the June 16 deadline. "

He's skilled, but he's just not my type of player (power forward), & I really don't see him addressing our need if the goal is to add defense & toughness. If we want more of the same, if we're looking for an improved version of Brian Cook, I think he's a very good prospect. I will say that he's a better reb than your typical finesse, offensive minded, tweener PF. But, put him up against a team like Det, & he's not helping the cause.

I'd add, he's exactly the type of player this organization typically falls in love with during workouts, and I honestly expect us to draft Anderson, Thompson, or Speights.

He reminds me a lot of Troy Murphy. He has amazing touch ad range on his jump shot and rebounds very well due to his hustle, but no, he won't get into the trenches and bang.

He doesn't play physical.

It's a long shot, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Magic acquire 2 additional picks using one to pick Anderson, and the other to pick Dorsey. Together, they could compliment each other very well, and possibly learn from one another to address their weaknesses.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I'd add, he's exactly the type of player this organization typically falls in love with during workouts, and I honestly expect us to draft Anderson, Thompson, or Speights.

I'm really surprised we haven't heard more about Jason Thompson coming to Orlando. He's not a premier defender like Dorsey, but he has tremendous upside still, and is a very solid scorer and rebounder.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jasonthompson.html

I actually see Koafus as a similiar player, but a much better defender, & more natural front court player. No question Anderson is more skilled & polished offensively, but he's never going to be a strong defender imo.

quote:

I actually see Koafus as a similiar player, but a much better defender, & more natural front court player. No question Anderson is more skilled & polished offensively, but he's never going to be a strong defender imo.

That's where our opinions will difer. Thompson is a late bloomer. I still think he has plenty of potential, and the majority of his potential I see coming from the defensive end due to his athleticism.

He actually reminds me of Dwight a lot (just with a jump shot).

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

That's where our opinions will difer. Thompson is a late bloomer. I still think he has plenty of potential, and the majority of his potential I see coming from the defensive end due to his athleticism.

He actually reminds me of Dwight a lot (just with a jump shot).

I was actually comparing Koafus to Anderson. I've never seen Thompson play, but from the very little bit I've seen he appeared a little soft. But, again, that would be a very premature assessment.

When I saw film of he and McGhee, they both struck me as athletic, & soft.