Sign in to follow this  
RIP CITY

My Thoughts on the Series, the Magic

quote:
Originally posted by RIP CITY:

quote:
i read your series analysis paragraph...

i would say you are about 50% correct...in the sense that you were able to control dwight and that no team can live by the 3 without dying by it.

however, you are incorrect also. first, the two series are night and day comparisons. you only played better than the magic twice in this series, period. in the first series, you played better than the magic in every game. also, detroit clearly does NOT play much better defense than the magic. in fact, detroit only averaged 1.4 more ppg during the series despite the uneven foul calls(magic were +9 and had more fouls in every game but game 2)

and the fact that the magic were +40 on turnovers. what that means is that the magic beat themselves, and got screwed, twice. despite all that crap you only outscored us by one point per game. so, my thinking is that the magic actually played as good D as the pistons, considering how many mental mistakes they made, they still played the series tight. anyone that watched all 5 games know that the series was WAY closer than the final tally. the only reason why detroit won this series is because they took good care of the ball. you did nothing well aside from that, the stats prove it. we played poorly, but the pistons didnt exactly play well either, but atleast they took care of the ball...

I'm sorry, but the Magic's defense is not good. And I'm not going to comment much on the officiating because to be honest that was WAY overblown by many on this board.

The Pistons got whatever shots they wanted in this Series, and the Magic simply don't play very good defense. That's my opinion, and I am sticking to what I saw.

You got whatever shot you wanted because of the refs. We could not be physical on Tayshaun or Rip and if you dared touch either away from the ball, we are reminded that they don't have balls and they flopped. If they took it off the dribble, they got the call. Heck, when Rip ran into his own teammate he got the call! The refs called it WAY to touchy and gave adequate players Kobe calls and we couldn't play any defense. On the other side of the spectrum, I defy you to find THREE EXAMPLES of Dwight touching the ball in the paint where he was not obviously fouled, seriously provide screen shots if you don't believe me. Every time he touched the ball, he was touched innapropritely by Piston defenders.

Basically, there was a size bias. Your best players in this series, guards, got any call they asked for on almost every occasion. The best player on the court, however, got essentially none.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by DwightHoward1880:

im so sick of these detroit idiots coming on here and saying the officaiting didnt matter.

shut the hell up. lose your extra chromosome, get a job, get rid of your gun, and kiss my ***

I'm so sick of delusioned Magic fans coming on here and saying the officiating determined this series.

Shut up, and don't you dare try to kiss any part of me.

RipCity, your post is accurate in every way, shape and form.

Feel free to jump on the Blue bandwagon, cuz it's gearing up to blow through the East for years to come.

Two games are decided on last second shots and officiating has nothing to do with the games? Ridiculous and absurd statement

quote:

im so sick of these detroit idiots coming on here and saying the officaiting didnt matter. listen morons take away6 the 3 by billups and hte foul by maxiel that wasnt called and we are very well up 3-1 with game 5 up for debate. when u have the bigger market and yopur the veteran team its easy to come on a board and be all righteous and noble and say the officiating didnt matter but u can kiss my skinny white behind with that, sure we turned the ball over, sure we shot poorly fdorm the line. but ina series tha6t was this close you are an idiot if u dont acknowdlge the poor officiating played into the result. facts are facts critical calls that werent made, wrogn calls might i mention, turned the tide. basketball is about momentum and contenutity. we didnt have a level playing field. so shut up about what the magic have to do. worry abvout yourselves. we will handle our own. as the series advances and detroit faces cleveland or detroit and youre on the sh'tty end of offiactign and it ends your series and season then we'll see how noble and righteous you are, and if u detroit scumbags open your message board ill be sure to come on there and lament your lack of chances because of the f'cked level of competition. but pelase shut the hell up. fairweather detroit fans, im sick of it i really am. youre not as great as u think you are. it took the officials handing u games 3 aND 4 to beat us. evemn game 5 was debatble, there was 5 straight posseisionw ith obvious fouls against the magic, no call. hedo goes tot he line twice? jameer none? dwight once in the second half? shut the hell up. lose your extra chromosome, get a job, get rid of your gun, and kiss my ***

Well, I won't respond to most of that, because honestly, you should be banned for that post.

But what I will say is that the officiating is not what won the Pistons the Series. You act like the refs were out to get you, or cheated to make the Pistons win. That's just ridiculous. The only real gripe you have with the officials is the 3 pointer at the end of the 3rd qtr that SHOULDN'T have counted. The problem is that the Magic came out RIGHT AFTER that 3 ball, and went on a 8-2 run, and took a 4 point lead in the next qtr., the Magic simply didn't close out the game, and that's just the hard truth. I could write up a nice long post about all the calls the refs missed on our side too, other than the 3 pointer, you have no real case for saying this Series would have been different. Look at the boxscores, the Pistons shot a whopping 2 more free-throws per game in the Series, and the Magic won 1 game. We played two games without one of our best players, I'm sorry but this Series wouldn't have been different because of 1 or even a few bad calls, considering there were bad/missed calls on BOTH ends.

As for me being "righteous".... if you feel that way, fine, it's really no skin off of my back. I haven't been on this board bragging about how great the Pistons are...because frankly they have their flaws too.

I have always liked the Magic Francise, and alot of the players thru the years, and I have even posted on this board during times when the Pistons were not playing the Magic. I just thought I would post a thread giving my thoughts on the Series, and on the Magic. Because all though they are not my favorite team, my hometown team, I technically am a Magic fan. I like more than a few teams in the NBA, there are certain teams I would like to see win more than others. Really the only time a root against the Magic is when they play the Pistons because the Pistons are my hometown team, the team I have rooted for for almost 20 years now.

Sorry you took my posts the wrong way, but I just wanted to talk some basketball. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not just a Pistons fan, I am a NBA fan too.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Heck, when Rip ran into his own teammate he got the call!

I really don't want to argue about the refs anymore, but I just had to point out that this particular part made me laugh. Because it was a Pistons player that got called for a foul when one the Magic players ran into Gortat, and fell down. I forget who the player was, but they were dribbling into the lane, ran into Gortat, fell down, and the refs called a foul on a Pistons player.

There were many bad/missed calls on both ends. But the refs didn't give the Pistons this Series, the Pistons only shot 2 more FT per game in the Series. There were many times where Pistons players were fouled and didn't get the call. There was no fix in on the Magic, the last thing the NBA wants is the Pistons to win, we ruin the TV ratings, and are considered one of, if not THE most boring team in the League. If the NBA were to rig a Series, the Pistons wouldn't be the team to benefit from it, it would be about ratings, money, two things the Pistons don't generate. The Pistons won the Series because they were the better team, not to sound "righteous" but you couldn't even beat us without one of our best players for the last 2 games. Come on man, just give credit where credit is due.

Anyway, I'm willing to talk basketball with anyone, but I'm done arguing about the refs.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Very true indeed. This team relies on the mere presence of Dwight too much. To have Shard and Hedo in the frontcourt already gives us a soft frontcourt. Coz both are wingmen, and not used, and may never be used, to defending big men.

I think next year we'll be having a different game plan but only a bit different to what we ran this season.

With Battie back, we finally have a servicable big. Then possibility of Fran coming over, his mere length alone is a good presence already. I was watching the LA game earlier, and Gasol's length is doing a great job altering shots.

This is not harsh at all. But a reality this team has to face. Our starting backcourt players are easily backups for contenders. Jameer will never get us anywhere. The be schooled by a rookie alone is just too much. Jameer was abused by a rookie.

Yes, its just a series, but this series spelled the difference of this season. Not to mention Jameer was schooled most of the time by the opposing players during the regular season.

Quite frankly, I'll be surprised, not shocked, if he ever developed a solid post game like KG or TD. Dwight was never known to be a scorer. Even coming out from HS he only averaged like 25ppg. As a matter of fact, I remember his HS coach posting in RGM that Dwight at max, can only be a 25 ppg player. Which obviously is a big plus already.

I'd want Dwight to develop a game like Shaq and not TD or KG. Because Dwight can simply muscle his way through, like what Shaq did. Second, he relies on his athleticism too much that he could be a one big fall away from having his style of play changed dramatically.

Great post FENDI, and thanks for bringing back this thread.

I feel like Dwight will become a much better post scorer in the future, he just needs to work on some things. Right now he doesn't do a very good job handling double-teams. That's the only real flaw that will hold him back. He can score points without having a amazing post game, he already does score without it. But he will need to work on handling double-teams because like I said, he will see double-teams his entire career. This is something that Tim Duncan did a good job of improving at, and I feel like eventually Dwight will also.

All though Dwight has struggled against the Pistons during his career, I feel like that will only last for so long. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be the best big man in the NBA eventually. He has good instincts on the defensive end, and might be the most athletic big man to ever play in the NBA. He just needs to refine his skills, mostly on the offensive end.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

im so sick of these detroit idiots coming on here and saying the officaiting didnt matter.

shut the hell up. lose your extra chromosome, get a job, get rid of your gun, and kiss my ***

I'm so sick of delusioned Magic fans coming on here and saying the officiating determined this series.

Shut up, and don't you dare try to kiss any part of me.

RipCity, your post is accurate in every way, shape and form.

Feel free to jump on the Blue bandwagon, cuz it's gearing up to blow through the East for years to come.

Two games are decided on last second shots and officiating has nothing to do with the games? Ridiculous and absurd statement

Do you specialize in mis-quoting people? I never said it "had nothing to do with the games". I said that the officiating didn't determine the series.

If you are going to twist peoples statements, at least be clever enough not to include the statements you are twisting in your post.

quote:
Originally posted by RIP CITY:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Very true indeed. This team relies on the mere presence of Dwight too much. To have Shard and Hedo in the frontcourt already gives us a soft frontcourt. Coz both are wingmen, and not used, and may never be used, to defending big men.

I think next year we'll be having a different game plan but only a bit different to what we ran this season.

With Battie back, we finally have a servicable big. Then possibility of Fran coming over, his mere length alone is a good presence already. I was watching the LA game earlier, and Gasol's length is doing a great job altering shots.

This is not harsh at all. But a reality this team has to face. Our starting backcourt players are easily backups for contenders. Jameer will never get us anywhere. The be schooled by a rookie alone is just too much. Jameer was abused by a rookie.

Yes, its just a series, but this series spelled the difference of this season. Not to mention Jameer was schooled most of the time by the opposing players during the regular season.

Quite frankly, I'll be surprised, not shocked, if he ever developed a solid post game like KG or TD. Dwight was never known to be a scorer. Even coming out from HS he only averaged like 25ppg. As a matter of fact, I remember his HS coach posting in RGM that Dwight at max, can only be a 25 ppg player. Which obviously is a big plus already.

I'd want Dwight to develop a game like Shaq and not TD or KG. Because Dwight can simply muscle his way through, like what Shaq did. Second, he relies on his athleticism too much that he could be a one big fall away from having his style of play changed dramatically.

Great post FENDI, and thanks for bringing back this thread.

I feel like Dwight will become a much better post scorer in the future, he just needs to work on some things. Right now he doesn't do a very good job handling double-teams. That's the only real flaw that will hold him back. He can score points without having a amazing post game, he already does score without it. But he will need to work on handling double-teams because like I said, he will see double-teams his entire career. This is something that Tim Duncan did a good job of improving at, and I feel like eventually Dwight will also.

All though Dwight has struggled against the Pistons during his career, I feel like that will only last for so long. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be the best big man in the NBA eventually. He has good instincts on the defensive end, and might be the most athletic big man to ever play in the NBA. He just needs to refine his skills, mostly on the offensive end.

He really needs to work on his passing out of the double team, its a great oportunity to get an open teammate but most from what i saw from this series were turnovers. I don't know if it is because he panics or something of sorts but he needs to make better decisions when the double team comes.

I'm not sure if you folks realize this, but Dwight has a pretty good jumpshot, using NO backboard.

I went to game 4 in Orlando against the Pistons and during pre-game shoot around, all Dwight was shooting was jumpshots. His very first three he shot, he hit nothing but net and looked great! He shot several jumpshots from all different angles and I would say he hit about 75% of them. It was unbelievable to see that, me and my 9 friends at the game were going nuts!

So he is capable of having an effective jumpshot. The one negative that I noticed about his jumpshot is that he has a slow release, so he could easily have the ball stripped or stolen as he is rising up. So I think Dwight needs to work on shooting that jumpshot with a quick release like Tim Duncan. However, I don't like Tim's line-drive shots, so if he could do that while keeping his arc, WOW JUST WOW! Dwight could be one of the best centers to ever play the game if not THE BEST.

There are a couple of reasons we deserved to loose the series to the Pistons..here are my thoughts..

1- Dwight could not handle the preasure of the moment

2- Stan was totally afraid to be creative and use his bench and find a loophole

3- No ball handling at all , no play making ever during the series...to much depending on the 3 pt shot.

4- Refs didnt help at all ....

5- Game 5...no intensity what so ever from any player of the Orlando Magic , totally out of control during the last 3 minutes

6- Lack of coaching ....no fire in Stan or his assistants. Kudos to Flip Saunders he was not afraid to look in his bench and get creative.