Sign in to follow this  
Greg Kite for Three!

Bad Officiating? Do the numbers back that up?

Orlando has shot 93 three-pointers this series compared to Detroit's 43 attempts. The free throw difference is minimal at best. Orlando has shot 83 free throws to Detroit's 89 free throws. Plus, in game 1, 5 of Detroit's free throws were at the end of the game and intentional Orlando fouls to stop the clock in the final 11 seconds. It's virtually the same amount of free throws even though Orlando is shooting nearly 13 more three pointers a game.

There has definitely been a lot of physicality, especially on Dwight Howard down low that hasn't been called. But all things considered, Orlando has been getting their share of foul calls and free throws for a team whose style is to jack up a lot of three pointers in transition and early on in the shot clock.

bad officiating or not... at the end of the day, our team had their chance to be up 3-1 but failed to close out the game...

i am sick and tired of Howard saying that he is a "little frustrated". he is just as worse as rasheed being a cry baby. look, if they are not passing the ball to you then work at the offensive boards for put backs. i hope, game 4 will teach dwight that he cant just stop and complain at the refs. the the effen floor and help your team. until dwight show maturity during games, the magic will not surpass the pistons. experience does count and it shows.

quote:
Originally posted by Need4Sheed:

There has definitely been a lot of physicality, especially on Dwight Howard down low that hasn't been called.

Sheed, you come across as a knowledgable, and reasonably unbiased fan, so I say this with more respect than I address most. This sentiment that you've consistently repeated in this forumn is an opinion you could only have if you watch the game by following the ball. Keep a closer eye on Dwight during a game in this series and you'll laugh at yourself.

What you want the kid to do, allow himself to get shoved out of the paint, and take jump shots? If Dwight wants to get a shot up in this series, he basically has to bully his way to the rim. Any time the refs want to clean that action up, you'll find a lot more posters being created.

did anyone else notice rip grabbing dooling's jersey and holding him on that possession right before dooling picked up the T?? i'm hoping i am not the only one who noticed.

if that's such a "veteran move" and is so visible as "basketball iq", why can't orlando do it? are we inferior somehow? less intelligent? of course our players know if they grab the jersey of our opponents and hold them in place it gives us a great advantage.....but they also know it's against the rules....

I think both teams could complain about calls in this series. Remember, we have the advantage of replay, refs. don't. I cut them some slack.

Concerning the Hedo/Man charge/block, I'd bet that it was going to be called a charge, but the ref didn't want to decide the game. When I watched it in real-time I thought it was a charge. Replays may prove that Max had his foot on the line, but can you expect the ref. to see it.

Rip's grab on Dooling isn't right, but there are 10 guys on the floor and only 3 refs. Rip did not have the ball at the time. I'm sure that it was just missed.

We cannot expect the refs to be perfect. I've seen calls or non-calls go against both teams. Playing through those bad calls is part of playing the game. Rasheed, Van Gundy, and everyone else needs to realize this.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

There has definitely been a lot of physicality, especially on Dwight Howard down low that hasn't been called.

Sheed, you come across as a knowledgable, and reasonably unbiased fan, so I say this with more respect than I address most. This sentiment that you've consistently repeated in this forumn is an opinion you could only have if you watch the game by following the ball. Keep a closer eye on Dwight during a game in this series and you'll laugh at yourself.

What you want the kid to do, allow himself to get shoved out of the paint, and take jump shots? If Dwight wants to get a shot up in this series, he basically has to bully his way to the rim. Any time the refs want to clean that action up, you'll find a lot more posters being created.

Agreed for the most part.

But, Dwight has to figure it out. He has to know how a game is being called and what he can get away with and what defenders on him are getting away with. That's all part of playing the game. Shaq had to deal with that just the same. LeBron has to deal with it to a certain extent. When you're bigger and stronger than everyone else, some contact that would be called for anyone else might not get called for you.

Again, in the same vein, Dwight Howard is not innocent in dishing out his own physical contact. He has lowered his shoulder and thrown his elbows into stomachs and chests and even on plays where defenders are not being that physical on him. I remember clearly one play earlier in the series where Maxiell just stood completely still, hands straight up in the air, Dwight lowering his shoulder and just jack hammering Maxiell multiple times before attempting a shot. No foul was called either way.

Hey, officiating ain't fair. It ain't fair to anyone who doesn't get the favorable whistle. Life ain't fair.

I feel your pain. I understand your frustration with the way the games have been called. I sympathize to a certain extent. At the same time, I'm more concerned about the Pistons winning the next game than sympathizing with Magic fans and what they perceive as unjust officiating. I'm not saying any of your gripes or problems with officiating are wrong or have been inaccurate. But, you gotta move on, get passed it, especially for the Magic players. If that's what's on their minds, then they'll lose focus for the next game.

Great players, great teams win despite officiating, despite bad luck, despite missed shots, despite turnovers. Great teams find ways to win. Teams that don't will try to find excuses.

quote:
Originally posted by DarkoHero:

I think both teams could complain about calls in this series. Remember, we have the advantage of replay, refs. don't. I cut them some slack.

Concerning the Hedo/Man charge/block, I'd bet that it was going to be called a charge, but the ref didn't want to decide the game. When I watched it in real-time I thought it was a charge. Replays may prove that Max had his foot on the line, but can you expect the ref. to see it. It' their job, why can't you expect them to see it?

Rip's grab on Dooling isn't right, but there are 10 guys on the floor and only 3 refs. Rip did not have the ball at the time. I'm sure that it was just missed. Dooling literally stared at the ref and slapped Rip's hand off his uniform, with the ref watching, and gave the ref the W.T.F. look.

We cannot expect the refs to be perfect. I've seen calls or non-calls go against both teams. Playing through those bad calls is part of playing the game. Rasheed, Van Gundy, and everyone else needs to realize this.

The rest I agree with... lol

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Agreed for the most part.

But, Dwight has to figure it out. He has to know how a game is being called and what he can get away with and what defenders on him are getting away with. That's all part of playing the game. Shaq had to deal with that just the same. LeBron has to deal with it to a certain extent. When you're bigger and stronger than everyone else, some contact that would be called for anyone else might not get called for you.

Again, in the same vein, Dwight Howard is not innocent in dishing out his own physical contact. He has lowered his shoulder and thrown his elbows into stomachs and chests and even on plays where defenders are not being that physical on him. I remember clearly one play earlier in the series where Maxiell just stood completely still, hands straight up in the air, Dwight lowering his shoulder and just jack hammering Maxiell multiple times before attempting a shot. No foul was called either way.

Hey, officiating ain't fair. It ain't fair to anyone who doesn't get the favorable whistle. Life ain't fair.

I feel your pain. I understand your frustration with the way the games have been called. I sympathize to a certain extent. At the same time, I'm more concerned about the Pistons winning the next game than sympathizing with Magic fans and what they perceive as unjust officiating. I'm not saying any of your gripes or problems with officiating are wrong or have been inaccurate. But, you gotta move on, get passed it, especially for the Magic players. If that's what's on their minds, then they'll lose focus for the next game.

Great players, great teams win despite officiating, despite bad luck, despite missed shots, despite turnovers. Great teams find ways to win. Teams that don't will try to find excuses.

gotta give sheed some love... he nailed it on the spot.

bad officiating or not, the magic was in a position to be up 3-1 but failed to close out games. and experience does come a long way in the playoffs as well as championships.

quote:

This is just an analysis of facts, so take it for what it's worth. It doesn't take into account the fact the Magic have been whistled for 2 more Technicals than the Detorit Bad Boys, or the 4-5 questionable goal tending calls on Dwight, and certainly doesn't take into account no-calls.

But what i did, was look back at the game recaps for each game during the series, wondering if the PF count would show us anything. Here is what I found. The score for each quarter is listed first (Magic first). The number of PF's for each team, in each quarter, after that. The quarters framed in red are the quarters the Magic had fewer PF's called on them than the Pistons.

Game 1

22-22 1Q: Orl-4PF Det-2PF

20-21 2Q: Orl-5PF Det-4PF

16-22 3Q: Orl-3PF Det-4PF

14-26 4Q: Orl-9PF Det-5PF

Game 2

29-29 1Q: Orl-4PF Det-4PF

11-21 2Q: Orl-4PF Det-5PF

36-28 3Q: Orl-4PF Det-4PF

17-22 4Q: Orl-11PF Det-6PF

Game 3

30-16 1Q: Orl-4PF Det-8PF

24-26 2Q: Orl-6PF Det-3PF

19-27 3Q: Orl-6PF Det-4PF

38-17 4Q: Orl-6PF Det-4PF

Game 4

27-21 1Q: Orl-3PF Det-3PF

28-23 2Q: Orl-4PF Det-4PF

15-26 3Q: Orl-2PF Det-5PF

19-20 4Q: Orl-9PF Det-9PF

What I find to be really interesting is the fact the Magic are only receiving fewer personal fouls called on them than the Pistons in one quarter per game, and that's against argueably the most physical team in the league. (Meaning, the Magic have had more PFs called on them during 3 quarters of every contest.) I also find it to be considerably intrigueing that the number of PF's escalate more than twice the average of the other three quarters during the fourth quarter (Aren't refs supposed to let the players determine the outcome?). One more interesting observation is that there have been 9 more personal fouls called on Magic players during the series than the Pistons, who again, are the most physical team in the league.

Anybody else observe any interesting trends based on these figures?

Part of being a championship team and having been to the conference finals the last few years, and the finals twice, is knowing how to cheat. Look at the Spurs.

You have to know how to flop, when to flop, when you can grab a jersey, and so on. Sad but true, and the Pistons are real good at it.

Takes other teams completely out of their game.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

What I find to be really interesting is the fact the Magic are only receiving fewer personal fouls called on them than the Pistons in one quarter per game, and that's against argueably the most physical team in the league. (Meaning, the Magic have had more PFs called on them during 3 quarters of every contest.) I also find it to be considerably intrigueing that the number of PF's escalate more than twice the average of the other three quarters during the fourth quarter (Aren't refs supposed to let the players determine the outcome?). One more interesting observation is that there have been 9 more personal fouls called on Magic players during the series than the Pistons, who again, are the most physical team in the league.

-Five of those remaining 12 quarters, the fouls were even between the teams. The Magic don't have more PF 3 quarters of each game.

-Players foul less in the first half and even in the third quarter. That's how it is with every team. In the fourth quarter, if the game is close, the game gets more physical because it's closer to the end. Players foul more. Players attack the rim more in the fourth quarter instead of settling for jumpers. Players are trying to draw fouls in the fourth quarter. And, teams foul on purpose to stop the clock late in the game when down. It's not very intriguing. It makes perfect sense that there are considerably more fouls in the fourth quarter of games.

-Take three fouls off of that 9 more fouls because those three were intentional at the end of game 2 when the Magic were trying to stop the clock. So that makes 6 more fouls on the Magic than the Pistons. About 1.5 more fouls per game. How considerable when you factor in how the Magic are shooting 40 more three pointers than the Pistons in this series?

quote:

-Five of those remaining 12 quarters, the fouls were even between the teams. The Magic don't have more PF 3 quarters of each game.

-Players foul less in the first half and even in the third quarter. That's how it is with every team. In the fourth quarter, if the game is close, the game gets more physical because it's closer to the end. Players foul more. Players attack the rim more in the fourth quarter instead of settling for jumpers. Players are trying to draw fouls in the fourth quarter. And, teams foul on purpose to stop the clock late in the game when down. It's not very intriguing. It makes perfect sense that there are considerably more fouls in the fourth quarter of games.

-Take three fouls off of that 9 more fouls because those three were intentional at the end of game 2 when the Magic were trying to stop the clock. So that makes 6 more fouls on the Magic than the Pistons. About 1.5 more fouls per game. How considerable when you factor in how the Magic are shooting 40 more three pointers than the Pistons in this series?

I was asking for a Magic fan perspective. I already knew precisely what your lame excuses would be.