Sign in to follow this  
gporter

Penny Hardaway Appreciation Thread

I personally think Penny had the most underrated career out of any player in NBA history. Granted, it was cut short by injury, but we all know it was a hall of fame career before then...

If you need help jocking your memory, here is a video of what he did through years 1993-1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxUUa2KBIg&NR=1

He helped lead us to the NBA Finals, and if you ever saw him play in person, you could at the time, compare him to Jordan. I am not kidding, he was that good.

This is just to get all of you Magic fans who are probably post Shaq era to recognize this teams roots, and Penny was a huge part of them.

I love you Penny, and thanks for all the great times back in the day!

I personally think Penny had the most underrated career out of any player in NBA history. Granted, it was cut short by injury, but we all know it was a hall of fame career before then...

If you need help jocking your memory, here is a video of what he did through years 1993-1997.

He helped lead us to the NBA Finals, and if you ever saw him play in person, you could at the time, compare him to Jordan. I am not kidding, he was that good.

This is just to get all of you Magic fans who are probably post Shaq era to recognize this teams roots, and Penny was a huge part of them.

He was the reason I became a Magic fan back in 94.

I grew up in Miami, a fan of the Heat and the Knicks because of Pat Riley. (When he left the Knicks, I left too in a sense)

A friend of mine in HS bought me a Penny Hardaway jersey and said that I had to see this guy play.

I watched him play and was a Magic fan after that. I stayed a HEAT fan as well. The first Magic game I ever attended was Game 3 of the 97 Playoffs.

I went in my Tim Hardaway jersey but wore my Air Penny shoes. Penny dropped 40 plus on the Heat. I have the game on DVD.

I know that many Magic fans are apathetic to Penny now but the guy was All NBA First Team when he was with the Magic.

Twice.

Shaq can't say that about his Magic days.

That is because Shaq was 2nd best on the team when Penny was here. Penny was better than T-Mac even... because he was more than just a scorer.

That and he made it past the first round, something T-Mac can't dream of doing.

No kidding - early in his career, I was sure he was going to be the next Magic Johnson. He had vision like Jason Kidd and the athletics of Jordan.

Unfortunately not the durability or the mindset. Really too bad - Penny could have been one of the best.

alex30,

I went to that game in the 99 lockout season. It was an NBA on NBC game. Ah, how I miss those...

Sunday, Noon start. People were still booing Shaq. But there were plenty of Laker fans since they were loaded with Shaq, Worm, G-Money and KB8.

The Magic led HANDILY at Halftime. Then Kobe put on a SHOW in the second half. A Jordan like show.

I remember reading the next day Shaq saying that Kobe went off because Penny was Kobe's favorite player in High School. Shaq said that Kobe approached Penny after a Magic game once for an autograph and Penny turned him down.

Maybe one of those cases of Shaq embellishing a story, but who knows?

quote:
Originally posted by jrc407:

alex30,

I went to that game in the 99 lockout season. It was an NBA on NBC game. Ah, how I miss those...

Sunday, Noon start. People were still booing Shaq. But there were plenty of Laker fans since they were loaded with Shaq, Worm, G-Money and KB8.

The Magic led HANDILY at Halftime. Then Kobe put on a SHOW in the second half. A Jordan like show.

I remember reading the next day Shaq saying that Kobe went off because Penny was Kobe's favorite player in High School. Shaq said that Kobe approached Penny after a Magic game once for an autograph and Penny turned him down.

Maybe one of those cases of Shaq embellishing a story, but who knows?

lol

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

And the comparisons to Ervin "Magic" Johnson because of his passing. I believe he played 3 healthy seasons (the first 3), and at that time there was no doubt the NBA had the next Michael Jordan.

You didn't have to live in Orlando or be a Magic fan to be a fan of his. I thought he was more entertaining to watch than Jordan himself. Penny could be equally effective scoring/passing/or playing defense.

Just like there's only one Michal Jordan, there's only one Penny Hardaway. Penny was amazing to watch even from his rookie year. Too bad his career was essentially thrashed by those bad knees.

In the link alex 30 posted it's obvious Penny is much slower and is wearing those knee braces, still with great skills left. Can't help looking at that and thinking with Shaq the Magic could have gone all the way..

I never saw the game but heard Penny was booed earlier this season there in Orlando, why?? I don't think the Magic ever booed him before, certainly not when he used to come to town with Phoenix.

Thanks Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway for making the '90s NBA so much fun to watch. I don't have a "favorite player" but if I had to pick my top 3 he'd be there.

quote:
Originally posted by Rico:

Shack I hate you now even more,what could have been,this team had dynasty written all over.

lol shack?

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

quote:
Originally posted by Rico:

Shack I hate you now even more,what could have been,this team had dynasty written all over.

lol shack?

My bad.