Sign in to follow this  
Jameera Nelshon

The Magic need Arroyo to play more

What I don't understand in the way Stan gives playing time is. What did Carlos do to deserve being put at the end of the bench? What did Keyon do to take his minutes? There is no evidence to support Stan's decisions. He arbitrarily puts one in the game and leaves the other to rot on the bench. Then he changes his mind and reverses it.

All this creates is problems. You have unhappy players with no idea of why the coach makes his decisions. Jameer and Carlos may have similar games but atleast they are closer to being point guards than Dooling will ever be.

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

You have unhappy players with no idea of why the coach makes his decisions.

That's newsbreaking information.

I've not read or heard anywhere that Arroyo, Nelson or Dooling are unhappy. But maybe you have inside info.

The only player I know of complaining about playing time has been JJ, but that's a subject for a different "passion thread".

quote:

What I don't understand in the way Stan gives playing time is. What did Carlos do to deserve being put at the end of the bench? What did Keyon do to take his minutes? There is no evidence to support Stan's decisions. He arbitrarily puts one in the game and leaves the other to rot on the bench. Then he changes his mind and reverses it.

All this creates is problems. You have unhappy players with no idea of why the coach makes his decisions. Jameer and Carlos may have similar games but atleast they are closer to being point guards than Dooling will ever be.

this is my worry also coming playoff time is our coach going to do the same?I agree with the team chemistry this can affect us big time.

Mr. Charisma, suppose you are playing for Stan and you are getting consistent minutes and playing well. Then for no reason other than the in the coaches mind you are benched and NEVER see the floor unless its garbage time for ten or so games. Then you are put in as the starter for a few games and play well again. Then you are put back on the end of the bench again.

Do you think that this will mess your mind and the other players on the team because they see what the coach is doing also? I think it does have an affect on team chemistry, It has to.

quote:

Do you think that this will mess your mind and the other players on the team because they see what the coach is doing also?

It depends upon what level of communication has taken place. Do you know the answer to that? If the coaching staff has explained to the team the reasons for their moves, then maybe there is no problem on the team.

Just because they haven't said anything to us doesn't mean that they haven't talked to the team. Let's not pretend we are fully aware of what has been said among the "family".

Relevant to the "other players on the team", did you ever think that maybe there is the possibility that the other players on the team prefer Dooling being the backup PG? Why do you assume that the other players are upset with the move, just because you are? Maybe they don't agree with your postion that Arroyo is better than Dooling.

I don't know if you are correct or not, but I don't think we have enough knowledge of the opinions of their Magic teammates to make an assumption that this is upsetting them.

fan for too long:

quote:
Mr. Charisma, suppose you are playing for Stan and you are getting consistent minutes and playing well. Then for no reason other than the in the coaches mind you are benched and NEVER see the floor unless its garbage time for ten or so games. Then you are put in as the starter for a few games and play well again. Then you are put back on the end of the bench again.

Do you think that this will mess your mind and the other players on the team because they see what the coach is doing also? I think it does have an affect on team chemistry, It has to.

Very good point! I think that a lot of people here underestimate the "chemistry" factor. Probably we need to talk about what "Chemistry" means. It looks to me that with "Chemistry" happens the same as with the concept of "Love", everybody has his/her own definition!

Mr.Charisma:

quote:
So, in other words, Arroyo is getting time in games where the team is already flowing well, while Dooling is brought in with the hopes of "fixing" something. That would somewhat explain the difference in those records.

Well, I think that it is , or should be the other way around. Sometimes what the team needs to fix is exactly the flow and tempo of the game. Who is better to that, depends of many factors.

I have to say I agree with you: the team plays better when 'Meer starts and Arroyo comes in behind him, as opposed to Dooling.

Dooling's a bit bigger, and maybe a better scorer and defender than the other two, but the offense is just a lot smoother with 'Meer and 'Los as a one-two punch.

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Sometimes what the team needs to fix is exactly the flow and tempo of the game. Who is better to that, depends of many factors.

The "chemistry" issue I addressed in a post that hit right before yours so I'll leave that alone to only address your statement above.

My point is that bringing in Arroyo behind Nelson is not a move that is going to "fix" the flow and tempo of a game because he and Nelson both play at pretty much the same flow and tempo.

Why would I bring in Arroyo after Nelson if I wanted to change the tempo?

Now, in the situation where the flow and tempo is not the problem, but Jameer is just struggling horribly with turnovers and/or shot selection, that is where you would bring in Arroyo instead of Dooling.

Depending by whatever is said behind the scenes. Do you think a player should be put on the end of the bench after he plays well in extended minutes in multiple games. And not being replaced by a star player but by a marginally better or worse player. Also your team has a better record when you play.

It is a chemistry destroying way of playing your players. Good play should equal playing time. And whatever the coaches reasons are, in the players mind he feels he deserves to play and other players on the team will feel this way also. It is only logical.

I think you guys should check this link out on team chemistry

Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

anyone remember this???

Mr. Charisma:

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Sometimes what the team needs to fix is exactly the flow and tempo of the game. Who is better to that, depends of many factors.

The "chemistry" issue I addressed in a post that hit right before yours so I'll leave that alone to only address your statement above.

My point is that bringing in Arroyo behind Nelson is not a move that is going to "fix" the flow and tempo of a game because he and Nelson both play at pretty much the same flow and tempo.

Why would I bring in Arroyo after Nelson if I wanted to change the tempo?

Now, in the situation where the flow and tempo is not the problem, but Jameer is just struggling horribly with turnovers and/or shot selection, that is where you would bring in Arroyo instead of Dooling.

I think that before we can go on with this discussion, we have to define some concepts better.

1-Chemistry

2-Tempo

3- Flow

Another thing, I think that the flow and tempo of the game is not the sole responsibility of the PG, hey...the team needs 5 players to "flow"!

quote:

Depending by whatever is said behind the scenes. Do you think a player should be put on the end of the bench after he plays well in extended minutes in multiple games. And not being replaced by a star player but by a marginally better or worse player. Also your team has a better record when you play.

It is a chemistry destroying way of playing your players. Good play should equal playing time. And whatever the coaches reasons are, in the players mind he feels he deserves to play and other players on the team will feel this way also. It is only logical.

Logical?

Most of the players on this team are more offensively-minded, so the part of the harping they get from SVG is about defense, not offense.

Dooling is a significantly better defender than Arroyo or Jameer, so the defense improves, getting SVG from screaming at the rest of the team, and making life a little less miserable for them.

Look, I have no opinion of who is better between Nelson, Arroyo and Dooling. I can be happy with any one of them on my team. But I don't want my entire PG position to be based on 2 guys that have proven to be primarily backup PGs in this league, and 1 guy that has been handed a starter role on a silver platter without doing anything that truly entitles him to it.

My single point is that you insist that the team is upset about SVGs handling of it, yet you have absolutely zero knowledge as to whether it is true or not.

Maybe their more upset because Cook is playing over Garrity.

Maybe their more upset because Bogans is playing over JJ.

Maybe their more upset because Dwight is playing over Foyle.

Or, maybe their not upset about anything at all, and are more than happy to follow the lead of the coach who has taken them farther in the regular season than any coach this team has done in a long, long time.

Somehow, I doubt that the single issue of which backup PG is going to be used is dividing the locker room.

It is only dividing the message board.