Sign in to follow this  
Jameera Nelshon

Saturday, March 1st: Latin Night without Arroyo?

FENDI:

quote:
I don't see anything wrong at all celebrating Latin Night without a Latin player playing.

I think that we all agree on what you say, Latin Night could be celebrated without a Latin player in the Magic team. However, since Arroyo's arrival to the team the center of the advertisement and propaganda for that night has been Arroyo, as it is shown now in the first page of the 2008 announcement for the March 1st Latin Night.

The NBA is a business and Arroyo is being used my the Magic organization to more effectively convert more Hispanics into hard core Magic fans and the constantly growing puertorican population in Orlando should be the main target. If you guys want or not to recognize this facts, thats another matter! After having Arroyo as the main attraction for celebrating Latin Night the last couple of years it would be a very bad business decision to trade him now or not to resign him at the end of his last year contract (although I think that not resigning him would be easier than trading him now) because of what he represents for the organization at this moment $$$$$$.

This happens all the time. Who cares. Teams always market events and themed nights, and use specific players to do so, only to have those players off the roster by the time the night actually (rick)rolls around.

Heck, the last cleveland game was supposed to have a giveaway of Ariza autographed pictures or something.

The Magic would be foolish to not include Arroyo's picture on their Latin night marketing materials. They would be even more foolish to not make a trade that includes Arroyo because of Latin night.

Latin night existed before Arroyo was here, and will continue on after he leaves. Whenever that may be... It is a celebration of community, not of a player.

As far as being a bad business decision to trade Arroyo because of the money he brings in... I would argue that winning in and of itself will bring in more people. Not to mention the new arena. Build a playoff calibur team that is an honest contender for the title year in and year out, and combine that with the new arena, I don't think the Magic are too concerned about having to boost their numbers and keep someone on the squad as a marketing ploy.

quote:
I think that we all agree on what you say, Latin Night could be celebrated without a Latin player in the Magic team. However, since Arroyo's arrival to the team the center of the advertisement and propaganda for that night has been Arroyo, as it is shown now in the first page of the 2008 announcement for the March 1st Latin Night.

The NBA is a business and Arroyo is being used my the Magic organization to more effectively convert more Hispanics into hard core Magic fans and the constantly growing puertorican population in Orlando should be the main target. If you guys want or not to recognize this facts, thats another matter! After having Arroyo as the main attraction for celebrating Latin Night the last couple of years it would be a very bad business decision to trade him now or not to resign him at the end of his last year contract (although I think that not resigning him would be easier than trading him now) because of what he represents for the organization at this moment $$$$$$.

well, true. But you have to consider that a single event is not a basis on how a team transaction is going to be done.

FENDI stated:

quote:
quote:From CarlosDarwin:

FENDI:

well, true. But you have to consider that a single event is not a basis on how a team transaction is going to be done.

I Agree! But it will be a real disappointment for the Latin (mainly puertorican) community that after announcing "Latin Night" with Carlos Arroyo as the main attraction in the adds he gets traded just before that date. Great promotion for getting the support of the Hispanic fans!!!Right?

I forgot to add; it is not only a single event we are talking about, as I see it, the expectations of the Magic organization for organizing "Latin Night" is to convert Latinos to become hard core fans that come and buy tickets for the games and other stuff and s..t every time as genuine fans always do! All business organizations want to increase their revenues all the time and, in Orlando, with its always increasing Latin population attracting their "favor" is a most!!That is another reason to keep Carlos (a huge one, I would say) besides the fact that he is a real good player and a hard competitor that wants to remain in Orlando! Business is Business, I now they (The Magic oranization) will make the best decision for their money interests!

quote:
FENDI stated:

quote:

quote:From CarlosDarwin:

FENDI:

I Agree! But it will be a real disappointment for the Latin (mainly puertorican) community that after announcing "Latin Night" with Carlos Arroyo as the main attraction in the adds he gets traded just before that date. Great promotion for getting the support of the Hispanic fans!!!Right?

I remember reading that when Arroyo was traded from Utah, thousands of promotional items (I think it was some kind of lunch box thing, but don't quote me on that!) for an upcoming "night" or activity became useless; however, that did not prevent the trade....

But on that same line of thought, a newly signed contract did not save Devin Harris from being traded from Dallas to NJ (if the deal finally happens).

Anywho, CarlosD, if you live here on the island, you may know that newspapers weekly offer promotional travel packages which feature tickets for Magic home games, in order to watch Arroyo play. I personally know, many coworkers and friends who have formed school, work, or friends' groups and purchased such travel packages. I must assume that the Magic organization know the effect on earnings from all the aforementioned promotion, as well as from all other promotions based on Carlos being a Magic player.

Then, their decision is: do we keep Arroyo in order to continue generating such $ although Carlos' PT will be limited or do we trade Carlos and lose a huge chunk of $ because of the Latin community (300,000 in the Orlando area plus the Puerto Ricans who travel to Orlando weekly) that sponsors the Magic because they have a "compueblano" playing for the team?

Nevertheless, those questions pose one, in a list of various other factors and variables that will determine if a trade is necessary and plausible, such as Arroyo's expiring contract,

commitment to Jameer as the PG of the future, Dooling's "defensive" skills, need for a big body to help Dwight, etc.

Anyways, I think that a week will give all of us an answer....

We are making a big deal about nothing, I think.

If the issue is the use of Arroyo's image in the actual Latino night marketing piece, then I don't see a problem. It makes sense to have his image on there. Regardless of whether he plays that night, he will is still a Magic player.

As for any potential trade of Carlos, well, if that should happen, then the proper thing to do would be to remove his image from the marketing piece, if it is feasible to do so (RE: costs). But as of right now, he is on our roster, so the point is moot.

As for the need to keep Arroyo on the roster in order to continue to attract the PR fan base in town...it isn't a need at all! Echo made several valid points earlier about "winning" being the primary ingredient to attract fans. Orlando is a big town. The Magic will be just fine if there is a PR backlash from trading Arroyo.

But beyond that, it is a short-term marketing position in the first place. Arroyo won't play forever. Let's say the Magic resign Arroyo to a 5 year contract and at the end of that contract he retires. Or let's say we resign him, but in two seasons he has a career ending injury. Does that mean that suddenly all the PR fans go away because there is no longer a PR player on the team? Right now, there are only two or three PR players in the league. Do you really think that the Magic will be scratching their heads, saying "Man, we need to go out and get another PR player to replace Carlos!!"

Fans who follow a team because of a particular player will always give that team a boost in revenue. But the long-term strategy for any team is to market ALL their players to the ENTIRE community. And the most marketable attribute is a winning record.

I just got back from a tatto convention and I can't belive it! THe girl that was on the flyer was not even there.. what false advertesment.Great promotion for getting the support of the tatto fans!!! right?

lol

GO MAGIC!!!!!

These are the guys performing at the Magic Latin night.

NONE OTHER THAN!

alvin.jpg

They will singing to a reggaeton beat!

Police stop my car

Police stop my car

The police made me stop

Walk a straight line and blow a balloon up

Police stop my car

Police stop my car

The police made me stop

Walk a straight line and blow a balloon up

They wanna wish me a sober Christmas

That's why they always pull me over Christmas

They say they're just making sure

That there's no open bottles in my car

They say they're just making sure

That there's no open bottles in my car

Police roadblock

Police roadblock

Police roadblock

I can smell the donuts as they smell my breath

Police roadblock

Police roadblock

Police roadblock

I can smell the donuts as they smell my breath

They're gonna let me out on bail this Christmas

From the bottom of their hearts

Police lock me up

Police lock me up

The police lock me up

'Cause when I blew, I blew a 2.1

2 months ago

LAMO! I'll be for Latin Night!!!!!

QUE PAJO!

Well, I read some valid points in the threads ahead, but Arroyo is not only a marketing ploy, he is also a good player, therefore you have two good reasons to keep him!

Another thing, of course that the Magic are not going to run after another Puertorican player if for whatever reason Arroyo is gone, but the team should be careful as to the way they get rid of Arroyo because the Hispanics are the fasting growing population , not only in Orlando, but in all the USA. Wining may be just enough to bring fans to the seats of the new arena but it would be a lot better for a city that have so many puertoricans to have a puertorican player to attract even more fans for a wining team . It is $$$ business logic, isn'nt it?