Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

New Denton Article Re: Redick

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

It's amusing that so many people on this board refuse to be objective and continue to find excuses why JJ shouldn't play.

First it was "he can't play defense." That stopped after it became apparent our team as a whole sucks on that end of the floor.

Then it was "well, he most get dominated in practice, or he doesn't work hard." Over the last couple of weeks we've come to find out that's a bunch of bs.

Now that those two excuses aren't that valid anymore, we've come to "JJ is unprofessional!" Spare me, if this guy was anymore of a professional I might throw up. Some examples..

-great with the fans and the community

-always cheers the team on from the bench

-works hard in practice every day

etc etc

Some of you guys need to just stop bashing the guy and just admit he deserves a chance to play on this team NOW. I want to see what he gives us when he's on the court every game, not 5 mins every 10.

If this was a response to my post, which was itself a response to a comparison I didn't feel was accurate, that's sad.

I've said from the get go that JJ should be the first SG off the bench, and should get 15 minutes a game.

That doesn't change the fact that throwing an ultimatum at your boss in the media IS very unprofessional.

quote:
I don't think anyone would suggest that Jameer is going to make a run at Stockton's all-time steals record.

True, but don't you think Dwight's career blocks are going to be a bit higher than Karl's? We aren't exactly like the Jazz, obviously, but we could get away with doing some things like them. And I think JJ could survive in a system like that.

I just have this gut feeling if he goes somewhere else, he's going to be a 20/5/5 guy.

Let's assume for the moment that Otis is actually telling the truth when he says he is not going to trade JJ.

Yeah, I know that establishing an assumption that Otis is telling the truth pretty much ruins the credibility of anything else in this post, but you are welcome to play along in Fantasy Land, if you wish.

Maybe the Magic are going with the concept that they want to offer at least 1 of their other SGs in a trade before the trading deadline, and that giving them playing time keeps their value up. Hints and reasons that this may be true:

1) They don't seem to be able to give JJ a definitive answer as to why he is not getting any playing time at all.

2) They (well, at least SVG) are now even admitting that they have a significant need at the PF and PG positions.

3) With the exception of Garrity, those with the most attractive short term or expiring contracts seem to be getting quite a bit of playing time (Arroyo, Dooling, Evans, Bogans).

I'm not suggesting that this is the sole reason some of these players are getting their run, as many of them have taken advantage of their opportunity at playing time to showcase their skills.

Which might just work out perfectly for the Magic, unless Otis decides to sleep through February 21st.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Let's assume for the moment that Otis is actually telling the truth when he says he is not going to trade JJ.

Yeah, I know that establishing an assumption that Otis is telling the truth pretty much ruins the credibility of anything else in this post, but you are welcome to play along in Fantasy Land, if you wish.

Maybe the Magic are going with the concept that they want to offer at least 1 of their other SGs in a trade before the trading deadline, and that giving them playing time keeps their value up. Hints and reasons that this may be true:

1) They don't seem to be able to give JJ a definitive answer as to why he is not getting any playing time at all.

2) They (well, at least SVG) are now even admitting that they have a significant need at the PF and PG positions.

3) With the exception of Garrity, those with the most attractive short term or expiring contracts seem to be getting quite a bit of playing time (Arroyo, Dooling, Evans, Bogans).

I'm not suggesting that this is the sole reason some of these players are getting their run, as many of them have taken advantage of their opportunity at playing time to showcase their skills.

Which might just work out perfectly for the Magic, unless Otis decides to sleep through February 21st.

No I don't think it's any of that. Actually, to me it's quite simple. Stan looks at his roster and he says "we have plenty of scoring, so instead of putting another offensive weapon at sg, i'll put in someone there to rebound and defend."

It's fine to have the way of thinking, but it's pretty clear that our d is terrible. It's also clear that outside of Dwight no one really likes to rebound.

To me it comes down to would you rather see slogans on the floor or Redick. To me it's obvious, Pat Garrity.

Guy,the bottom line is JJ wants to play basketball. He is paid to play basketball. Two million dollars a year is a lot of money to pay someone to polish the bench for 2 years. From all the recent comments from SVG there appears to be no valid reason not to play him. Otis won't trade him now because he is his insurance policy for next year when it comes to contract negotiations. He was a first round pick which, IMO, should give him the right to EARN his position on the team. If he fails, so be it. But at least he tried. I applaud his work ethic. Nice to see these days. I don't think he can be any more professional in how this is being handled. We can speculate all we want about what he can or can't do, but I believe if he is not given the chance to prove himself for us, he will for another team and we will have let another excellent basketball player get away.

Well smack there for awhile i thought you were actually being nice and intellegent when it came to JJ, I belive when you assume, and when you take it out of content you show that you are a hater. Unprofessionism cant be associated with you because you have sone first. If you cant say anything good about someone dont say anything at all. Your not a magic fan, your a smack fan.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill:

Guy,the bottom line is JJ wants to play basketball. He is paid to play basketball. Two million dollars a year is a lot of money to pay someone to polish the bench for 2 years.

Why just mention this just about JJ? Across the NBA, there are multiple players on every team that can sing this same song.

Two mill is a lot of money for someone to sit on the bench? A mere pittance compared to guys like Pat Garrity, Steve Francis and many others that get paid a lot more, yet get no more playing time.

He has a "right"? No, he has a contract. That contract gives him that 2 mil a year that you are referring to, and gives the TEAM the "right" to decide his role.

I'm not disagreeing that he should see some floor time, but he has no more of a "right" to get playing time than any other player in this league that works their tails off just to stay on an NBA roster, and to be ready for whenever their number is finally called.

Save the tissues for the next time Duke loses a game.

quote:
Originally posted by magic07:

Well smack there for awhile i thought you were actually being nice and intellegent when it came to JJ, I belive when you assume, and when you take it out of content you show that you are a hater. Unprofessionism cant be associated with you because you have sone first. If you cant say anything good about someone dont say anything at all. Your not a magic fan, your a smack fan.

Smack's a big boy and can defend himself, but let me ask you this.

If Ron Artest would make the same kind of comments that JJ made about some of his teammates, how big of a story would that be in the media? You and I both know that it would be a circus.

Do I think they should give JJ more playing time than they do? Yes.

But that has nothing to do with him calling out his teammates publicly and throwing them under the bus like that. Being frustrated does not give you a right to rip your teammates. Your coach and ownership? Fine. But your teammates? Very low class. Very.

I just went back and reread that interview. There is nothing that JJ said that possibly can be construed as "throwing his teammates under the bus". It appears that some people may be reading too much into this.

Also-Arn Tellum did not demand a trade, only a request.

Finally, Smack does not hate JJ. In fact, he has said many times that he would like to see him play 10-15 minutes a game. He just likes to pull our chains.