Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Evil

'Sheed enjoys facing Magic's Howard

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/01/sheed_en...cing_magics_how.html

by A. Sherrod Blakely

Thursday January 24, 2008, 11:35 PM

AUBURN HILLS -- There's an old playground adage that goes something like, "game recognizes game."

That might help explain why the Detroit Pistons' Rasheed Wallace will be in the ear of Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard at some point tonight offering him a tip or two on how to become a better player.

But don't think for a minute Wallace is giving up any information that will come back and bite him.

"The tips I do give him, I know the counters," Wallace said. "It's like a karate match. I'll teach the student one technique, but I know how to (counter)."

edit: read marc's post

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/01/sheed_en...cing_magics_how.html

by A. Sherrod Blakely

Thursday January 24, 2008, 11:35 PM

AUBURN HILLS -- There's an old playground adage that goes something like, "game recognizes game."

That might help explain why the Detroit Pistons' Rasheed Wallace will be in the ear of Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard at some point tonight offering him a tip or two on how to become a better player.

But don't think for a minute Wallace is giving up any information that will come back and bite him.

"The tips I do give him, I know the counters," Wallace said. "It's like a karate match. I'll teach the student one technique, but I know how to (counter)."

edit: read marc's post

Dr. Evil, can you chop that down to 4 paragraphs with the link for me? With articles we want people clicking the links so the original party gets credit.

It's strange but all of the articles I read about Sheed are about how good of a guy he is on the court and how good of a teammate he is. If the guy hadn't been so stupid off the court and hadn't gone overboard with the tech's, I think people would mention him with some of the best ever at the 4.

quote:
If the guy hadn't been so stupid off the court and hadn't gone overboard with the tech's, I think people would mention him with some of the best ever at the 4.

Marc, you know I love your work, but I have to disagree with you here. With career averages of 15 and 7, I would hardly mention him in the same regards as the best 4s of all time. He won a ring, and has hit a few clutch shots along the way. He has had a nice little career, but all time best? I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

quote:
If the guy hadn't been so stupid off the court and hadn't gone overboard with the tech's, I think people would mention him with some of the best ever at the 4.

Marc, you know I love your work, but I have to disagree with you here. With career averages of 15 and 7, I would hardly mention him in the same regards as the best 4s of all time. He won a ring, and has hit a few clutch shots along the way. He has had a nice little career, but all time best? I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.

His numbers aren't anything special, it's his game that makes him special. How many 4's can you think of that could defend the post, hit 3's at a decent percentage, rebound, score in the post, and block shots?

They ran a stat in the game against the Pistons that there are only 2 guys that have blocked x number of shots and hit x number of 3's in league history, Sheed being 1 and Cliff Robinson being the other. Cliff Robinson's number's are inflated because he played from 1960 to 2006 so Sheed's numbers become that much more impressive to me. That was were I was coming from.

Hmmmm Sheed and Cliff, maybe you have to train with Cheech and Chong in order to hit 3's and block shot's.

sheed as the best ever PF, i dont think so. Thats saying he is better than Duncan, Malone, Barkley, McHale, Pettit, Garnett, Rodman, etc...

great. not best ever though

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

sheed as the best ever PF, i dont think so. Thats saying he is better than Duncan, Malone, Barkley, McHale, Pettit, Garnett, Rodman, etc...

great. not best ever though

"mention him with some of the best ever at the 4."

I wouldn't go that far either.

'Sheed does some things very well that most tall, big 4's can't do. Probably the most telling part of his game is his turnover rate and his assist rate - it's hard to believe, but in many seasons he has almost (or better) than a 2:1 ast/to ratio. That's very impressive for a PF that can play big in the paint AND be effective from the perimeter.

He's a flat-out winner - there's a reason that, even with his zany antics, he has only been moved once (not counting his single game in ATL) since his rookie season.

I always thought he could have been as good as Duncan and Garnett if he had his head screwed on a little better. I do agree he is one player who stats don't do him justice. He is the main reason the Pistons have that tittle. Larry Brown was lucky to get Rasheed that year.