Sign in to follow this  
JayHolla

Thinking of Selling My Car.. Need Input

Hi all, I've posted in a few different forums just looking for feedback. I own a 97' Civic EX Coup 1.6 that has 118K miles on it. It's currently in the shop with a cylinder two misfire symptom. Upon further inspection the dealership found that I had a slight crack in my cylinder head and another in my engine block, they feel this is the cause of the check engine light not responding correctly.

Under the Extended Emissions Warranty suite with Honda in the 90's, they are covering my cars repairs and are currently putting in a new short block, cylinder head, spark plugs, fuel filter, distributor cap, ignition wires, water pump and a new oil filter along with a oil change at no cost to me and also will be coming with a 3 year 36,000 transferable warranty.

I'm having them change out the timing belt since they have it all apart anyway and it should be done since I haven't done it yet. My question is this. Now that all this work is being done to my car I figure now it the best time to sell it to maximize a return on it so I was seeing what you guys thought it might be worth at this stage of its life.

I looked on Ebay and my local papers and the same car as my own with about 130K were being sold around $5,500 to $6. A friend of mine doesn't think I can get anything close to $6 but I disagree. What do you guys think?

Hi all, I've posted in a few different forums just looking for feedback. I own a 97' Civic EX Coup 1.6 that has 118K miles on it. It's currently in the shop with a cylinder two misfire symptom. Upon further inspection the dealership found that I had a slight crack in my cylinder head and another in my engine block, they feel this is the cause of the check engine light not responding correctly.

Under the Extended Emissions Warranty suite with Honda in the 90's, they are covering my cars repairs and are currently putting in a new short block, cylinder head, spark plugs, fuel filter, distributor cap, ignition wires, water pump and a new oil filter along with a oil change at no cost to me and also will be coming with a 3 year 36,000 transferable warranty.

I'm having them change out the timing belt since they have it all apart anyway and it should be done since I haven't done it yet. My question is this. Now that all this work is being done to my car I figure now it the best time to sell it to maximize a return on it so I was seeing what you guys thought it might be worth at this stage of its life.

I looked on Ebay and my local papers and the same car as my own with about 130K were being sold around $5,500 to $6. A friend of mine doesn't think I can get anything close to $6 but I disagree. What do you guys think?

This is what will make it or break it...

is it automatic or manual?

If its manual you have to look at the import tuner business. With a brand new SOHC Vtec engine, 5 speed, and decent body you might be able to get that. But it has to be in mint condition.

If its auto, you have to look into selling it as a first car for a college student. but I don't think you can get as much this way, because it is a 10 year old car.

I had one of those in college, 5 speed, I messed with it and abused it and its a decent car.

Now I have seen those cars for as little as 1,000, I payed 12k for mine in 2000, when the car was 3 years old...a decent normal price would be around 4k.

check kbb.com for value.

check orlandoforums.com or tamparacing.com for the car tuner scene....

Forget maximizing return lol... You are getting all this work done, make the most of it. Keep the car until it dies, litereally on its last leg falls apart and won't run anymore without major money coming out of your pocket. In the mean time, take what you think would be your car payment if you bought a new car and bank it in an account you don't normally use on a weekly basis. When your car dies, buy yourself something pretty.

The nice thing is I have since I paid off my car in '05. I've got about 4.5k saved up and if I can get about 6 for my car then that gives me 10k for whatever I want.

I just got married so I was looking at a nice crossover SUV type deal with decent gas mileage but something the wifey would think is safe. I like the new Envoys and I hate to say it, those town and county minivans are starting to look real nice for our kids.

quote:
Originally posted by JayHolla:

The nice thing is I have since I paid off my car in '05. I've got about 4.5k saved up and if I can get about 6 for my car then that gives me 10k for whatever I want.

I just got married so I was looking at a nice crossover SUV type deal with decent gas mileage but something the wifey would think is safe. I like the new Envoys and I hate to say it, those town and county minivans are starting to look real nice for our kids.

Noooo.... stay away from the minivans lol... nothing says 'I gave up on life' like a minivan. How many kids? 3 or less, look at the Nissan Murano. I have always been a big fan of Nissan.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Noooo.... stay away from the minivans lol... nothing says 'I gave up on life' like a minivan. How many kids? 3 or less, look at the Nissan Murano. I have always been a big fan of Nissan.

Yeah my buddy has a Murano and absolutely loves it. That thing is soo roomy and just a great ride. Hes had it for now almost 2.5 years and no work except oil changes and just put new tires on it. As far as Chrysler, i dont have one friend or person i know that even has liked a Dodge product. Always something wrong with em and they are the first car in the buy here pay here lot. I wouldnt own a Dodge product

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Yeah my buddy has a Murano and absolutely loves it. That thing is soo roomy and just a great ride. Hes had it for now almost 2.5 years and no work except oil changes and just put new tires on it. As far as Chrysler, i dont have one friend or person i know that even has liked a Dodge product. Always something wrong with em and they are the first car in the buy here pay here lot. I wouldnt own a Dodge product

I'm on my second dodge ram 1500 now. Just bought it in December. Loved the first, love the second even more. Never had a problem with them or any nissans I have owned.

Nice, we have one child and one on the way. I'm looking at leasing either a ford edge or Honda Ridgeline or buying a new 07/08 Civic loaded since payments would be real low. I've always wanted a truck, just could never afford one until now.