Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Now you know why Battie is back starting

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I do get tired of seeing Tony get beat up on these forums.

Please find a post where anyone says anything bad about Tony (other than his consistancy). I have no idea where you got this from.

quote:

There is more to a game than filling up the stat sheet.

Tony does a great job of executing his defensive assignments.

NO arguments there.

quote:

When we got down tonight and it looked like we were gonna lose Battie took the bull by the horns and made a "HUGE" basket. Did you see him pump his fist and tell the guys, "let's get the job done"!

He could of said that from the bench. I mean Pat is on the bench every game and he still finds little ways to contribute for the win, like getting water and towels.

quote:

That's why he's starting and I trust it will continue.

You trust that it will continue?? Let me refresh your memory... Brian Hill is our coach, which means the rotation does NOT change.

quote:

This is not a bash Darko thread.

It's a give Battie some credit thread.

Again, LEADERSHIP! There's more

to the game then piling up stats.

If this is true you could of just posted this in the game thread. Like "good job Battie" or "thanks Tony". But you had to make it into a thread and mention the starting lineup. And Darko doesn't pile up stats but he does provide great energy. He's great at defense and all he's missing is some leadership. Which can only be aquired by playing the game, not by sitting on the bench.

Magic31, I see Tony take a lot of criticism because I think a lot of people think he doesn't have great stats so he shouldn't be starting.

I know he's your boy(Darko) and I'm sorry your offended but at the same time I feel the need to express myself about Tony.

Or defend him so to speak.

He really does a lot of the dirty work for the team that doesn't get any recognition in the boxscore.

As I spoke of earlier his leadership was noticeable tonight and I hear the coaches reference it frequently in the paper.

In the pre-game show tonight Matt Goukas was talking about the Magics record when Dooling, Ariza and Battie are all healthy and playing.

Our record was something like 6 games over .500 when those guys are playing.

Again, not bashing Darko but giving credit to Tony.

Tony is a good role player that does all the little things that don't show up on that stat sheet. He just needs to learn how to catch...

Battie played well tonight and with grit. But this is hardly the point....strategically, i.e. aiming for the real goal of an nba championship and not just a perennial contender, the need is to develop Darko who has had much stronger games than Tony ....bring Tony off the bench. Give Darko substantial minutes and face-the basket- play. Then we are serious about aiming for the title.

I'm with Magic31 on this one. Battie had a good game today, we need Battie on this team, but Darko should start -- just ask Battie. Magic31's comments were very apropriate (sp?). I agreed 100%.

Darko -- 16 min.

Battie 29 min.

I think Darko could have had a few more of them.

Does he provide that leadership every single game though? Your basing this whole thread on one game. And every player steped it up in this game because it was such a big game for us. I could write a thread for each player. JJ hit those free throws. Jameer hit those three pointers. Dwight, well he was Dwight. Turk was playing like his old self again. Ariza provided a lot of energy, he wanted to win that game more than anyone on the team. Given he had limited minutes and only took two shots, Darko didn't miss a layup and actually dunked the ball. Dooling played great defense and added some points. And of coarse, Battie showed leadership. But that doesn't happen every game. And the title of this thread is "now you know why Battie is back starting". Actually all I know about this is that B. Hill is the coach and he doesn't wanna hurt Battie's feelings by starting Darko over him (although it seems like Battie could care less). Bad choice for a title...

Personally, I would start Tony every game of the year for one simple reason.

He plays hard, executes and brings his hard hat to work every game.

I honestly don't think Darko does that and I am praying that the Magic brass don't give him a lot of money. I think it would be a big mistake.

quote:

I honestly don't think Darko does that and I am praying that the Magic brass don't give him a lot of money. I think it would be a big mistake.

Almost every night Darko puts up better stats with less minutes. Darko also sets some of the best screens in the NBA period. Even the Knicks commentators were praising Darko's D tonight.

Your title really gets people upset. Darko is the better player. He's also the developing player i.e. Darko will get better with playing time, Battie won't.

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

"LEADERSHIP" begins with the coach.

But yes Battie is a nice player, not a star but always solid. Probably the most underrated center in the league.

Fan, nice post. I told you I would respond to you when you used a little more tact.

I'm sure the Darko fans don't think I used any tact but I honestly meant the thread title as a support for Battie and not a cutdown to Darko.

quote:

I completely agree. I am happy that we have Tony Battie here for many reasons. He gives his all no matter what.

I also like Darko so no jab at him but, He seemed to play much better when he was starting. Is that a mental thing? Battie and even Turk are the type of players that don't care if they get one minute off the bench or 35 minutes starting. That is just the way it is.

I could be wrong about Darko, if I am, I apologize, I am not trying to get a whole new set of people pissed at me.