Sign in to follow this  
vic110

Players feel free to play THEIR game under Van Gundy.

According to team sources, the players felt that they were constantly being held down and watched during games under Hill's coaching last year. They all feel free now to play their games under Van Gundy. He encourages them to shoot when they are open. Under Hill, he wanted his offensive sets run no matter what.

Van Gundy has been the best addition to the team this year and their record is a direct indication of it.

According to team sources, the players felt that they were constantly being held down and watched during games under Hill's coaching last year. They all feel free now to play their games under Van Gundy. He encourages them to shoot when they are open. Under Hill, he wanted his offensive sets run no matter what.

Van Gundy has been the best addition to the team this year and their record is a direct indication of it.

I agree and I like the overall design of the offense. Simple with wrinkles & better movement. I love the way SVG has gotten D12 involved, no more camp on the block, & wait for incompetent post feeders to get you the ball. I love the ways he gotten Jameer & Carlos to embrace their position & push the ball up the court (still working on Carlos).

My one complaint of this team under SVG are the high frequency of bad 3 pt. shots. I know they all have the green light and SVG has said he'll live with bad shots, and I even understand the philosophies behind that. But, they're misplaced a bit with this team. There's a difference between instilling confidence in your players and green lighting poor team basketball. 3 pointers should come in the rythem of the offense, not as a 1st option for a player who gets the ball in his hands. Special note to the newly acquired chucker Mo Evans who especially has absused the freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

I agree and I like the overall design of the offense. Simple with wrinkles & better movement. I love the way SVG has gotten D12 involved, no more camp on the block, & wait for incompetent post feeders to get you the ball. I love the ways he gotten Jameer & Carlos to embrace their position & push the ball up the court (still working on Carlos).

My one complaint of this team under SVG are the high frequency of bad 3 pt. shots. I know they all have the green light and SVG has said he'll live with bad shots, and I even understand the philosophies behind that. But, they're misplaced a bit with this team. There's a difference between instilling confidence in your players and green lighting poor team basketball. 3 pointers should come in the rythem of the offense, not as a 1st option for a player who gets the ball in his hands. Special note to the newly acquired chucker Mo Evans who especially has absused the freedom.

I think SVG green lighted them early to get them into the flow of the offense and break the deer in the headlights look that Brian Hill's scheme had created.

The schedule lightens up considerably after mid Jan., I expect SVG to fine tune the offense then once he has more practice time and game film to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

I think SVG green lighted them early to get them into the flow of the offense and break the deer in the headlights look that Brian Hill's scheme had created.

The schedule lightens up considerably after mid Jan., I expect SVG to fine tune the offense then once he has more practice time and game film to work with.

You might be proven right, but I've yet to see a coach go from green light to yellow light or red light after allowing the players to cross. This is a philosophical principle of SVG's system, not a designed plan to break the players free of the shackles place on them by Napolean.

This is a philosophical approach to basketball we see far more frequently in basketball today and there are three primary reasons coaches instill it. We fit the criteria of each to a degree, but not nearly to the overall extent other teams do.

Like I said, I have no problem with it, but there's a big difference between bad shots, and BAD shot selection. SVG isn't going to restrict his players, his only recourse is to reduce the minutes of the players who aren't effective in his system.

quote:
Originally posted by vic110:

Yup, i heard nick anderson on 740 the other day and he specifically said how jameer came up to him last year and complained how he always felt brian hill was looking over his shoulder and was scared to make a mistake...thank the lord for SVG

Ghost, don't think of it as going green light to red or yellow. Think, SVG has the team driving on the auotbaun in Germany. When the season slows down for us, he'll bring them back to the US and have them driving on one of our roads.

I'm sure, as good as coach he is, he's not showing his full hand yet. Once we past All-Star break, he'll start tweaking for the playoffs.