Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

To download, or not to download. That is the question! Time to discuss....

quote:
Originally posted by bballbabe:

quote:
a lot of artists will do it for the music, not so much the money. Some just do it for the money. If you are good, you will make the money, if you suck you won't

Not exactly. There a plenty of great bands and solo artists who don't make the money because they cannot get the exposure. The internet helps, but the money is made at shows, and if no one knows who you are, the less likely they are to come and see you.

The artists are not as ticked as the record company execs. Did you guys hear about Prince (artist formerly known as) and his last album. He found a way to totally get around those bozos. He did not use a distribution company. Instead, he gave his cd away. To everyone that came to see him on the promo tour, he gave them the album. Ha! He has been successful enough that he can foot the bill for pressing cd's, which is really not that expensive. THe fans were happy, and he got paid. Who got the shaft....another greedy distribution company and record label.....ha ha take that. I just wish other artists had the means to be so resourceful.

that's true, some do not get the exposure and some markets or genres are just too competitive....some won't make it to the big time, and become super famous, but if you are good, and play good music, you will at least get noticed locally....

Prince also gave away copies of his CD in a Sunday newspaper, that's a great way to stick it to the man and give it to the fans....But that's also after he made a ton of money first...

quote:

quote:
a lot of artists will do it for the music, not so much the money. Some just do it for the money. If you are good, you will make the money, if you suck you won't

Not exactly. There a plenty of great bands and solo artists who don't make the money because they cannot get the exposure. The internet helps, but the money is made at shows, and if no one knows who you are, the less likely they are to come and see you.

The artists are not as ticked as the record company execs. Did you guys hear about Prince (artist formerly known as) and his last album. He found a way to totally get around those bozos. He did not use a distribution company. Instead, he gave his cd away. To everyone that came to see him on the promo tour, he gave them the album. Ha! He has been successful enough that he can foot the bill for pressing cd's, which is really not that expensive. THe fans were happy, and he got paid. Who got the shaft....another greedy distribution company and record label.....ha ha take that. I just wish other artists had the means to be so resourceful.

Considering it cost you around 10-12 bucks for a 100 pack of CD-R's, how much can it really cost for the record companies to manufacture a CD? I mean, most of them don't even bother to put artwork on the CD itself anymore.

It's all about money and it makes me sick to my stomach. I mean, I wouldn't give anything away for free at my place of business, but I certainly wouldn't jack up the price for a product I know isn't worth that much.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

quote:

that's true, some do not get the exposure and some markets or genres are just too competitive....some won't make it to the big time, and become super famous, but if you are good, and play good music, you will at least get noticed locally....

Prince also gave away copies of his CD in a Sunday newspaper, that's a great way to stick it to the man and give it to the fans....But that's also after he made a ton of money first...

Do it the hard way. I listen to a bunch of bands who were nobodies with nothing more than maybe 400 friends on myspace. They tour every night and work hard, and now they are well known throughout the music industry. Give me a break.

The sad part is, the bands that do complain or the ones selling records non stop.

I think a lot of the younger bands, lets say people in their 30's or younger, understand the whole digital era and computers....and they get it...

the older bands just want to keep making money...

I don't know what the solution will be, if there's even any...

Tamia (grant hill's wife) also went independent for her latest cd...so many other established artists are going that direction, because the big record companies are not really interested in artists. I learned this stuff first hand, years ago. They could give a flying fart about you as an artist, they just want to exploit you. So i don't feel sorry for any of them. Not the artists who played the game and now have money and are crying about it, or the record companies who cheat people everyday.

quote:

I learned this stuff first hand, years ago. They could give a flying fart about you as an artist, they just want to exploit you. So i don't feel sorry for any of them. Not the artists who played the game and now have money and are crying about it, or the record companies who cheat people everyday.

I knew you were Willa Ford!

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

I learned this stuff first hand, years ago. They could give a flying fart about you as an artist, they just want to exploit you. So i don't feel sorry for any of them. Not the artists who played the game and now have money and are crying about it, or the record companies who cheat people everyday.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I cannot reveal my identity but i don't wanna be bad!!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thats ok, I already found you on myspace and have seen all your bathroom mirror pictures.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thats ok, I already found you on myspace and have seen all your bathroom mirror pictures.

and now you have to share with all of us, well maybe just some of us..lol..we can use it to blackmail her.....oh crap, I should have sent you a pm about this instead of posting here...

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

and now you have to share with all of us, well maybe just some of us..lol..we can use it to blackmail her.....oh crap, I should have sent you a pm about this instead of posting here...

homer_doh.gif

The biggest problem I've seen was that the record industry took too long to adjust. Itunes was, at it's core, a good idea, and a great way to solve two problems. Unfortunately, it solved neither, while exacerbating several others.

The two focal problems that napster showed was that a) new technology existed for the sharing of music on a far greater level than anyone had even considered, and B) music had become so institutionalized in radio that a typical album would have 2 singles, a third questionable song, and a lot of crap. Meanwhile, CD prices not only didn't start to drop as the technology became common place like cassettes did, they actually rose slightly. This caused people to jump on the napster bandwagon in droves, and the record industry took a huge hit as a result. Itunes could've solved both those problems. By allowing people to pay to utilize the sharing services, the record industry could still feasibly get theirs. Likewise, the consumer could still tell them to screw themselves for making bad albums by simply paying the dollar for the single rather than 20 for an album.

But rather than take the signs and reading the writing on the walls that people were tired of rap rock, nu-metal, and were waning on hip-hop, and realizing that people wanted fully realized albums, the industry continued to sign like bands, acting under the assumption that this was just a lull, and that people would quickly buy cds again. Not only was that assumption proven to be absurd, but the blatant showing of the record industry being in bed with the radio industry turned off consumers and musicians alike. Thus you end up with Radiohead selling albums for whatever you want to pay them, and Trent Reznor telling people to steal all music, not just his. Heck, System of a Down, at the peak of their popularity, realized a b-sides set called "Steal this Album".

Don't get me started on clear channel. I'll get ulcers.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

The biggest problem I've seen was that the record industry took too long to adjust. Itunes was, at it's core, a good idea, and a great way to solve two problems. Unfortunately, it solved neither, while exacerbating several others.

The two focal problems that napster showed was that a) new technology existed for the sharing of music on a far greater level than anyone had even considered, and B) music had become so institutionalized in radio that a typical album would have 2 singles, a third questionable song, and a lot of crap. Meanwhile, CD prices not only didn't start to drop as the technology became common place like cassettes did, they actually rose slightly. This caused people to jump on the napster bandwagon in droves, and the record industry took a huge hit as a result. Itunes could've solved both those problems. By allowing people to pay to utilize the sharing services, the record industry could still feasibly get theirs. Likewise, the consumer could still tell them to screw themselves for making bad albums by simply paying the dollar for the single rather than 20 for an album.

But rather than take the signs and reading the writing on the walls that people were tired of rap rock, nu-metal, and were waning on hip-hop, and realizing that people wanted fully realized albums, the industry continued to sign like bands, acting under the assumption that this was just a lull, and that people would quickly buy cds again. Not only was that assumption proven to be absurd, but the blatant showing of the record industry being in bed with the radio industry turned off consumers and musicians alike. Thus you end up with Radiohead selling albums for whatever you want to pay them, and Trent Reznor telling people to steal all music, not just his. Heck, System of a Down, at the peak of their popularity, realized a b-sides set called "Steal this Album".

Don't get me started on clear channel. I'll get ulcers.

Amen DOM! We think alike.

It still goes on till this day also. With all the pop rock, -insert 8 word band here-, or another generic blonde guy with a guitar. Atleast with the bands I mostly listen too, you can still get their CD at a corporate giant such as Best Buy for about 7.99 - 9.99.

I still stand by saying iTunes is a horrible service.

Here's a solution.

Get all the labels together. Create one, easy, generic program called "We're greedy".

Then for $9.99 a month, you can download up to 200 songs.

Do something like that, and watch the masses flock to it. It's fair and reasonable for the pirates looking to go straight, and makes complete sense for the Johnny Pocket Rocket who doesn't know whats going on to begin with.

They key is to get EVERY major label, including all indie labels, in on it. Too many of these "services" only offer certain labels thus exluding music some people really prefer.