Sign in to follow this  
Adam_Magic

Barry Bonds Indicted

Barry Bonds has played his last game, worn his last major league uniform, defied the truth for the last time. His baseball career came to a wrenching, unfulfilled, but fitting end the exact moment he was indicted on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice Thursday afternoon.

This is more damaging than an asterisk. This is potential jail time. This is substantial fines. This becomes Bonds' true legacy.

The government says Bonds lied during his federal grand jury testimony four years ago. Those alleged (and I use the word only to be polite) lies impeded the federal investigation. What, Bonds thought the feds would just forget about the laughable flaxseed oil defense?

An attorney with a long history of dealing with the feds once told me that you never, ever lie to their investigators or to their grand juries. If you do -- and they figure it out -- the feds will be as unrelenting as Bonds was in his chase of Henry Aaron's all-time home run record.

It's safe to say that the government wouldn't have waited this long to indict Bonds unless it was certain it had enough for a conviction or a plea bargain. That doesn't guarantee the feds will get either one, but generally speaking, you don't go after the game's home run leader and his considerable legal team without a certain degree of confidence.

The rest of the article is here

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=...3113075&sportCat=mlb

Barry Bonds has played his last game, worn his last major league uniform, defied the truth for the last time. His baseball career came to a wrenching, unfulfilled, but fitting end the exact moment he was indicted on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice Thursday afternoon.

This is more damaging than an asterisk. This is potential jail time. This is substantial fines. This becomes Bonds' true legacy.

The government says Bonds lied during his federal grand jury testimony four years ago. Those alleged (and I use the word only to be polite) lies impeded the federal investigation. What, Bonds thought the feds would just forget about the laughable flaxseed oil defense?

An attorney with a long history of dealing with the feds once told me that you never, ever lie to their investigators or to their grand juries. If you do -- and they figure it out -- the feds will be as unrelenting as Bonds was in his chase of Henry Aaron's all-time home run record.

It's safe to say that the government wouldn't have waited this long to indict Bonds unless it was certain it had enough for a conviction or a plea bargain. That doesn't guarantee the feds will get either one, but generally speaking, you don't go after the game's home run leader and his considerable legal team without a certain degree of confidence.

The rest of the article is here

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=...3113075&sportCat=mlb

Congratulations, Baroid. May you kindly rot in prison for the next 20 years.

If there is any justice in this world he won't make the HOF, and every single record will have an asterisk next to it.

Thanks for another black eye in my favorite sport.

I feel bad for you guys that enjoy baseball but to me this is just another reason that I don't bother with it. I don't watch but my impression of baseball from the outside is, the same teams win every year, the game is extremely slow paced and boring, and the management of the league seems to be a joke as well.

If the guy was going to be indicted and they had all the proof why on Earth do you allow him to continue to play and get the home run record? You have basically just taken a dump on what is considered to be a sacred record. Put an asteriks by it? Remove it? Why bother allowing it to happen in the first place unless you are just concerned about getting the press and TV time that it generated. It seems like every other day someone is in the news for getting busted for performance enhancing drugs, why keep up the charade? Why not just give every single one of them a syringe and a fat ridiculous contract then decide before the season which team would be the best marketing wise to win the title?

I will be glad when it is all over because i want to enjoy the sport again. It doesn't taint it, but it just gets on my nerves to hear about it continuously. I also do not understand why they don't go after other people who have be caught lying about it....or maybe i do and i just don't like it.

I gave up on baseball back in high school.

Still like playing it and going to minor league games, but to watch it on TV is painful.

I tune in for the playoffs most of the time, but the season is WAYYYYYYYYY too long and boring.

I remember watching Bonds break the record and all the news channels broke into coverage and all. And for what? For a lying druggie?

I applaud the NFL and NBA for atleast taking action immediately, and not using poster boys like this to get ratings.