Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Hard Thought: Trade Trevor?

Ive heard some guys mention trade Trevor in a packaged deal for Artest. Then some of you guys are saying that you want to keep Trevor cause you guys see star potential in him. Now as of now i could also see potential in him as well and i have compared him in several threads to a younger version of Shawn Marion just off the way he runs the floor, slashing ability, rebounding, and great defense. So i just think we need to really see how Ariza responds in this new offense with more minutes. I truly think he will do better than some of us think. Look at his preseason stats. With 25-30mpg he was putting up 10ppg 10rpg. And Redick stood our in preseason as well shooting 48% behind the arc averaging 16ppg. I just feel like both players(Redick and Ariza) needs to play more cause they cant do any worst than Garrity did. But i really like the Artest idea cause if we could get him in a trade then we could bring Turk off the bench and that will give us that 6th man help we need. Also ive heard somebody say put Artest back at the 4 just like he did in indiana. Thats not a bad idea but Lewis isnt playing bad at the 4 right now. He actually play better at the 4 than at the 3, but you can always switch them up at times so thats good. But i like the fact of what Redick and Ariza can bring, its just were waiting for players to come around and with Ariza, this is his 4th season and he still hasnt shown a consistent shot, i dont know if he ever will. He just might be exactly what he is and theres nothing wrong with that. You need great hustle players like him on your team. As for Redick, his defense might eventually get better but it will never shutdown opponents, hes known for his offensive game and that can be dangerous and sometimes you need players like that too. So its a gamble to keep both players to see how they turnout but we will never know if SVG isnt playing them and that is hurting us. So if he doesnt want to play them, then we should trade them for a player or 2 that can bring offense/defense and who else better than Ron Artest. Artest would be a nice addition but if we can get the same production from Ariza and Redick then maybe we should keep them and just play them more. But Artest and Abur Rahim does sound nice to have here. Rahim has the 15 foot shot and rebounds good. Only 30yrs old and we will have him for 3 seasons and Artest for 2 if we cant extend him after. Ariza might not resign so you have to also factor that in. Besides we really dont know how good Redick and Ariza can do during the season playing the role as key backups. Well we know about Ariza but not Redick that much. My point is Artest is a proven player, you already know what your gonna get out of him and with Ariza and Redick, were gonna have to wait and see what they develop to be. Redick has shown his shooting ability during the preseason and Ariza hasnt shown that much different in his shooting to make us think different about him. Also Ariza contract is expiring after this season and we might wanna think for the years to come if he doesnt resign. Look at this lineup if we trade for Artest. This is a 10man rotation:

Nelson

Bogans

Artest or Lewis

Lewis or Artest

Howard

Bench

Dooling

Redick

Turkoglu 6th man

Abdur Rahim

Foyle

Now we could use that 2.7mill we get for Battie injury to invlove in a trade for Artest and also Abdur Rahim to go in the package deal for Arroyo, Ariza, Garrity, and 2.7mill.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...3~23~19~19&te=&cash=

I used Redick cause hes making close to the cash(2.7mill) that we can spend due to Battie's injury.

Redick might not play good defense but he can score and thats what our bench needs to do. Hopefully he develops a defense good enough to get the job done. He will never be a shutdown defender but can turn out to be a hell of a off the screens/ spotup shooter. And besides Bogans who else do we really have that can do that. So thats my reason for keeping Redick but including Ariza in a trade to get Artest and Rahim. But you never know, Ariza could end up being Tmac like. You just never know, but with Artest and Rahim on our team, we dont lose on that deal.

I hope the original poster doesn't take it offensively but this is the dumbest idea ever. Kids, relax. The Magic will be better than this..

We already traded McGrady away remember? Our team hasn't been that exciting since. Howard is exciting but still has a ways to go in that department.

Trevor is probably our most exciting player, how about that Olajuwon move for a dunk the other day? Amazing.

Trade away an asset? Why not trade a guy like Jameer who's useless and isn't exciting at all?

Next time sauce break your points into paragraphs. It's hard to read when it's all bunched together.

I agree with a lot of things you said, but I don't think Artest should even be considered. He's a head case and a team killer. I think we need to see how things go before we go down the trade path. If we can survive with a small line up we should keep this team, butif we struggle going small we need to make a deal to give us some help in the front court.

quote:
Originally posted by LilPenny3000:

I hope the original poster doesn't take it offensively but this is the dumbest idea ever. Kids, relax. The Magic will be better than this..

We already traded McGrady away remember? Our team hasn't been that exciting since. Howard is exciting but still has a ways to go in that department.

Trevor is probably our most exciting player, how about that Olajuwon move for a dunk the other day? Amazing.

Trade away an asset? Why not trade a guy like Jameer who's useless and isn't exciting at all?

I think the idea of trading Trevor comes from the assumption you need to trade talent to get talent. Useless players don't bring much back. Trevor's fate was sealed when we signed Rashard. At the end of the day, they are both small fowards. Rashard can play some 4 and Trevor can play some 2. But their strenght is at small foward and that is where I think they will ultimately play.

Good bench players understand they are bench players. I agree with you that there is a good chance Trevor will develop into an everyday player in this league. I don't quite see a young Marion as much as I see a young plastic man in the making. I think Trevor will always be more of a defensive stoper and slasher like Stacey Augmon. So I don't think Trevor will be happy in a reduced role.

I'd love to get a young big from Atlanta and the only way to get one of them would be to give them a young stud in return.

McGrady, Darko, and now Ariza too for nothing?

seriously.. the average Magic fan is clueless. Otis has no credentials whatsoever to be a GM. Signing someone to 35 mil who can't even pass.. amazin.

Yeah trade Trevor, I rather see him become a star and be fun to watch somewhere else. Nice to see our team get smaller every day.. and ppl want to trade a defender like trevor .. / faints

quote:

Little Penny, thank goodness we have you to talk sense (or non-sense) into all of us.

To your post ... How can you compare Trevor to T-Mac??? At this same age, T-Mac was averaging 26.8 pts, 7.5 boards, 4.5 assists a game. While I like Trevor, he's not another T-Mac. He is still very raw. Plus, what is an asset that isn't gaining value or being utilized? Keep in mind that Trevor can opt out this year, too. Thus, if for some reason we aren't going to use him, let's trade him for a guy we will use. Dumb idea? Not if Trevor is gonna gather dust.... Now that's a dumb idea.

quote:

McGrady, Darko, and now Ariza too for nothing?

seriously.. the average Magic fan is clueless. Otis has no credentials whatsoever to be a GM. Signing someone to 35 mil who can't even pass.. amazin.

Yeah trade Trevor, I rather see him become a star and be fun to watch somewhere else. Nice to see our team get smaller every day.. and ppl want to trade a defender like trevor .. / faints

Wow. ??? Your argument itself is contradictory while being laden with immaturity.

quote:
I wouldn't want to get rid of Trevor. We NEED a good wing defender for all those premier SG's in this league.

Bogans ain't doing it; Dooling ain't doing it.

We need a big, but Garrity, Bogans, Dooling, and Redick (as much as I LOVE Redick) would be better for our team to trade than Trevor.

It's not everyday you get a good wing defender like a Bruce Bowen type of player, in this league. Not to mention his hustle and offensive rebounding capabilities are unmatched.

I just wanted to reiterate this since I believe I made a good point here... Cheers.