Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

Placing FSN on the extended basic cable lineup does not cost us the consumers anything. It means Brighthouse has to remove another chanel from the lineup. Their stand is... the cost of the basic lineup is spread across all subsribers, and not all of these customers are Magic fans, therefore these non fans would be 'paying' for a chanel/programming that they don't want...

But wait a minute... weren't these 'non fans' paying for this service last year when the games were broadcast on UPN?

Regardless of how Brighthouse tries to spin this, the fact remains that they want to try to leverage this situation to increase their digital subsciber numbers. Adding FSN to a sports teir requires additional charges for both the digital package, and the sports tier, for a total of approximately $12 per month (I think... someone correct me if my numbers are off).

Yes, most of us here are already on the digital package, so the increase would be $2 for the sports tier, but again, why should we pay extra for programming that the rest of the state already has included in their regular extended basic cable packages?

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Not picking on UCF, I think it is great they built their own stadium. Just making an example of Brighthouse spending money and then taking the high road about defending the little guy and his cable rates.

I took it the way you meant it BH...was just progressing your train of thought.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Placing FSN on the extended basic cable lineup does not cost us the consumers anything. It means Brighthouse has to remove another chanel from the lineup.

Not correct. FSN wants more $ then say HGTV is getting. So takeing HGTV off will not mean that you can just add FSN.

quote:
Originally posted by RockChalk Magic:

LGM,

We received more than 900 calls on Wednesday alone, so her response certainly wasn't a brush off. We understand that everyone is frustrated, and believe me, know one is more upset about this situation than us.

RC,

It's hard for me to believe that nobody is more upset about it then the Magic. If they were so concerned then how come they didnt get this brighthouse/fsn thing figured out before they announced the deal in June or July?

How come the magic reportedly didnt even get envolved with until the 11th hour?

I understand the Magic wanting to go for the big money and going to FSN, but what I dont understand is how they left the FANs out in the cold without making sure brighthouse/fsn had a deal together

I am so ticked at the Magic right now it's not even funny but i want to see the games so bad i think i'll have to break down and cancel BH and get direct tv.I mean seriously how do they expect to keep a fanbase with a genius move like this? If anything you're alienating the fans.I heard that this debacle is now being reported in the Detroit Free Press.Hope news of this mockery finally gets to one Mr David Stern .

Most of you guys are all up in arms at bright house, but when you assess the blame for this fiasco, ask yourself, who made the changes? Bright house didnt change anything. It was the magic that made the change. If the magic hadnt decided to go with fsn, we'd all be watching the game right now. And for those of you who are blaming bright house because they wont put it on extended basic, think about this. I have it on extended basic. The game is in progress, and fsn on extended basic is showing "the thrilla in manilla." strangely enough, that was on before game 1, then switched to poker.

Put the blame where it belongs. Sure cable companies are blood sucking leaches. Sure prices keep going up, and most people are stuck with 70 or 80 channels they wouldnt watch if they were paid. Sure they should go a la carte. But the cable companies did not cause this situation. The magic did.

Finally, i rememberd my password so i can get on here...i usually dont post i only read but this situation infuriates me to the point of upsetness i have never been.

I blame brighthouse for this situation. I dont know if people on here are ucf fans, which i am not, but i am from central florida and i do like all sports, but why arent the home games on tv? or at that any game on tv? unless its nationally televised we dont get it. Yet brighthouse spent MILLIONS to have their name on the stadium so they can "look as if they are apart of the community". They arent though, brighthouse looks out for themselves and not the consumer...I have called numerous times about the ucf and magic thing and nfl network, and never get a straight answer. Which is typical for a big company these days. I have every possiable package through brighthouse, and i cant get 3 channels to see two LOCAL teams? are you being serious? Brighthouse is a joke, i am now looking into VERIZON. I know they have it up north and i cant wait for it to be here or if i can get it. Also, i do blame the magic for some of this...UCF never had games televised so i cant blame them, but the magic made this descion knowing the biggest cable provider in the community doenst carry that channel...I will be attending many magic games this year and will have signs EVERY GAME to make my opnion heard...Thats the only way to make the magic listen...i think everyone should do the same...brighthouse doenst give a hoot if you leave them, they are so big it would take 10g people to leave them before it made a scratch in their budget..so signs at the magic games are the only way to get our point across...i dont know if someone alrady suggested that but if so right on. and sorry this was so long, but i have been holding this in for months now and decided to let it go...GO MAGIC!

Does anyone else live in tallahassee and have comcast cable? For the second time, despite FSN being part of the cable lineup, and despite the magic game being listed as part of the schedule on the actual guide on my tv, it has been preempted for something else. This time, there was some muhammed ali special instead of the magic/pistons game.

So, I have FSN and am supposed to see it, yet it's still not on. Besides satellite, who the hell is able to watch the game?

We noticed the preview channel had no mention of the game, and wondered even if we had the HD package would the game be shown? (Comcast Lake Cty)

Is the general opinion of the posters in metro area angry that FSN is not offered at all? Would they be happy if it was offered only on the highest tier package? I think Comcast's attempt to force people into premium HD package despicable. I blame the Magic for this fiasco.

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

RC,

It's hard for me to believe that nobody is more upset about it then the Magic. If they were so concerned then how come they didnt get this brighthouse/fsn thing figured out before they announced the deal in June or July?

How come the magic reportedly didnt even get envolved with until the 11th hour?

I understand the Magic wanting to go for the big money and going to FSN, but what I dont understand is how they left the FANs out in the cold without making sure brighthouse/fsn had a deal together

This puts the blame in EXACTLY the right place; the Magic organization. They are 99% to blame for this situation.

The funny thing is that it's not, despite what many have posted in this thread, good for business or the Magic organization, either. Oh, in the very short run they may get a few extra bucks. But who will want to carry their games after the current FSN contract ends, if FSN takes a financial beating? And when does a pro sports franchise ever benefit from getting into conflict with their own fans? Remember, everywhere else in the country NBA fans can watch their own team on locally without any premium.

This is BAD from a business perspective for the Magic. Pissing off your customers is NEVER good business.

What I have a problem understanding is; If FSN paid this large sum of money to the Magic to have broadcasting rights to the games, then why would they not give in and air the freakin games? By not airing the games at all, aren't they loosing big advertising dollars? Who is paying them commercial spots if no one is seeing the commercials????

Is this the reason why people dont like the magic front office? Becuase of making descions like this...remember the shaq and penny fiasco...the sentinel posted a poll about how we shouldnt pay shaq 110 mil but we can pay penny 100mil...but yet i havent seen anything in the sentinel about this not being able to watch games at home..BRING SIGNS TO THE GAME WITH YOUR FRUSTRATION!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!