LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

decision by the rockets has to be done by june 30th to pick up parsons' option for next season making him unrestricted if they don't.

edit: here's a good article talking about their decision http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/03/report-rockets-to-decline-team-option-on-chandler-parsons-in-pursuit-of-bigger-star/

I've said this a few times, but we are forgetting about Fournier here.

This guy reminds me a lot of Manu. A lot. He can initiate offense and is a fantastic shooter. What that means is our lineups are going to be really flexible. We can put him and Victor out there and let them initiate.His shooting gives us the flexibility to move Gordon to SF sometimes and have Vuc and KOQ out there for a very very big lineup that has speed.

I would not be surprised if Rob expects Fournier to be the 6th man and Harris is trade bait down the line.

The Magic really just need to move some guys like Nicholson, decide on Harkless and Harris. Add some reserve bigs and for a star SF in 2015 via trade or FA.

Originally I wanted Bledsoe or Parsons, but Phoenix has a ton of cap room...I imagine they'll match pretty much any offer. Parsons seems much more attainable if Rob wants to go that direction.

Maybe he can get creative though, attempt a sign and trade with Phoenix for some combination of Harkless/Harris/Nicholson/Jameer, picks too if needed. Then we can grab both Bledsoe and Parsons. Hell I'd be more than happy to trade Payton as well. Let's say they accepted Payton/Harris in return.

Bledsoe/Jameer

Oladipo/Fournier

Parsons/Harkless

Gordon/O'Quinn

Vuc/Dedmon

Not a bad team at all. Yes I know it won't happen.

I think we get it.. you have a man boy crush on parsons.. but the fact that you want to trade our PG away already is hilarious. With that lineup we will be a 6th 7th seed in the playoffs for the next 4 years.. Why be so quick to jump on FA wagon, with us drafting Elfrid I would bet that a FA PG is the last thing on henny's mind.

Look at the team we are building, its full of scrappy defensive beasts who can play both ways.. Yes we lack a shooter until 16' I have a great feeling henny is lining us up to get KD. We will have a fast run and gun, Defensively tough team and then add a great shooter like KD and baam we become relevant. Keep this current roster and add KD to this team and we will be golden for years to come.

decision by the rockets has to be done by june 30th to pick up parsons' option for next season making him unrestricted if they don't.

edit: here's a good article talking about their decision http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/03/report-rockets-to-decline-team-option-on-chandler-parsons-in-pursuit-of-bigger-star/

Thanks. I was talking about this last night. There is no reason the Magic don't have a crack at this guy.

There is a chance that Victor blossoms at the 2 now.

If that is the case, I believe the Magic may have a team with a couple stars - Gordon and Dipo - possibly Payton as well one day.

Personally I believe Gordon will be an all-star at PF. I think he will be that good.

I'd rather have luol deng than parsons.

really? I like deng, but he's 29 now, been injured, how much would you pay deng? I just feel like parsons makes a lot of sense age/fit/value wise. We've seen the rob draft style and d-league scrub, and vet min free agent techniques. I'm really curious to see how a "bigger" free agent type of signing goes with rob, and I feel like parsons is in his wheelhouse and fits the way this team looks to be shaping up. I'm sure there's other options that they're looking at but parsons makes a ton of sense to me

I'm done pouting. Somebody talk me into this, please.

Ok I think these picks will be great, Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton already have some good chemistry IE Fiba u-19, there are tons of highlight showing payton feeding gordon for the lob or for the quick shot. I think Aaron Gordon is a complete player, yes his shooting might not be the best but he understand and is good at a lot more things than many kids at his age/position. He can dish the rock, he can dunk it, his shooting will improve for sure. But the biggest thing is his defensive ability and how many times did we see our interior defense get shredded in the paint. Night in Night out we gave up too many baskets in the paint and it killed us.

Wait till Summer League, take a deep breath and watch these highlight. he is the second player shown in this #11 and payton is #10

It's not just Ford, Soul...I haven't seen any writer say they like the fit...Am waiting for the ESPN draft grades tommorrow...Got a feeling the Magic won't make the Honor Roll.

ORLANDO MAGIC | GRADE: A-

Round 1: Aaron Gordon (4), Elfrid Payton (10)

Round 2: Roy Devyn Marble (56)

Analysis: Well, I guess we know that GM Rob Hennigan likes -- for the second year in a row he drafted super-athletic, defensive-minded players. Adding Gordon and Payton with Oladipo gives the Magic three versatile defenders who can lock up anyone. I love the potential of both players. If Gordon ever develops a jump shot he could be a superstar. Ditto for Payton. They do just about everything else well (though they both could get stronger). But where is the offense coming from? With Arron Afflalo gone and Jameer Nelson likely to be bought out they're left with Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic. But the Magic don't have to have everything figured out now. They are being patient. I personally think that Dante Exum was a better choice at 4. But getting Payton at 10 lessens my objection. I understand why the Magic felt they needed to add a forward first and Payton was my sleeper in the draft. Marble is a no-nonsense forward who does everything well and nothing great. Sort of like their second rounder last year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11139035/2014-nba-draft-grades-every-team

I'm done pouting. Somebody talk me into this, please.

dude just have fun. Gordon pick is a reach but let's wait and see. The payton pick we gave up too much to move just 2 spots. but w/e let's see what happens.

Rob almost landed Bledsoe last year, he clearly likes his game. I'm not calling for us to trade Payton just to trade him, I'm saying if it meant acquiring Bledsoe I'd be all for it, as should every single person on this forum. That team, once players start to develop, and in a very weak East, is much better than a 6 or 7 seed. Though that's subjective so I won't argue that point any further.

I don't think trading Payton is something we'd consider doing especially considering we gave a up two future picks (including a protected first) just to get him.

Rob almost landed Bledsoe last year, he clearly likes his game. I'm not calling for us to trade Payton just to trade him, I'm saying if it meant acquiring Bledsoe I'd be all for it, as should every single person on this forum. That team, once players start to develop, and in a very weak East, is much better than a 6 or 7 seed. Though that's subjective so I won't argue that point any further.

fair enough, i see your points. I'm not going to lie but I do enjoy bledsoe and would love to see him here. With rumors that Jameer could be out, do we try to go after him? I could see that however we would need to come up with a decent S&T for the suns to accept it. I think these players could be gone/on the block : Nicholson, Jameer (would be tough to see him go), Harris (for the right price/deal) and even good old Harkless.