LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Alright, this is a good question (since it seems to be up for debate), assuming we do get the 5th pick and Exum, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are off the board... do we pick Smart or Randle?

I take Smart.

Take Smart. Tank another year. Get Okafor.

I dont understand some of your post.... (around biggest)

I dont see randle as a two way player. I dont think he has bad defense but I dont see him making a different on that side. His impact will be small. The best thing he provides for a defensive is rebounding. This helps close out a defensive stop. I dont see randle blocking shots, stealing the ball, or being a defensive stopper. I see more of a david west impact. He will not be a liability, but again, he will not make a major impact.

I also like smart but I dont think he has the ceiling of exum, wiggins, or embiid. They are much more athletic.

Randle may not be all-nba defense, I don't think anyone is saying he will be elite in that way. But lets look at it like this: he has lateral quickness/foot speed that appears to equal and even surpass some pretty good players in this draft like Parker, Embiid, and perhaps Vonleh, for example. He also has size that allows him to play a more difficult position defensively (PF) while maintaining that athleticism; he provides a unique ability to combine quickness and athleticism with a sizeable frame in the mold of LJ or even Glen Davis...although Davis was 50 pounds heavier, an inch shorter, and truly trex armed in comparison coming out of LSU. I don't know what he will do, but he is unique, and worth consideration.

I am still iffy on Exum, although I have always been tough (perhaps unfairly) on pg's. I like the idea of Exum, but that's all he is at this point.

I'm fine with Smart, but the idea of tanking another year provides no benefit to anyone in the process.

I'm fine with Smart, but the idea of tanking another year provides no benefit to anyone in the process.

It's not really tanking another year as much as it would be that we would just still suck.

I can't see this team dealing with another year of tanking. I think we attempt to make a playoff push as best we can. If the team isn't ready, it isn't ready, but my assumption is that it will be - or at least close to it. To say a core of Smart, Oladipo, Harris, and Vuc can't make a playoff push I think is selling those players short. Perhaps we are another year away in the East, but I won't be destroyed if we get Smart or Randle.

With that being said, I want a top 4 pick badly.

Alright, this is a good question (since it seems to be up for debate), assuming we do get the 5th pick and Exum, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are off the board... do we pick Smart or Randle?

I take Smart.

I'd take Randle without thinking twice

Everyone does with the back issue. If he's medically cleared he's got to be given consideration though.

Not just the back issue but I don't know if he'll be able to dominate in the NBA.

As I said some days ago, though, everyone has question marks. They're teenagers after all

Randle may not be all-nba defense, I don't think anyone is saying he will be elite in that way. But lets look at it like this: he has lateral quickness/foot speed that appears to equal and even surpass some pretty good players in this draft like Parker, Embiid, and perhaps Vonleh, for example. He also has size that allows him to play a more difficult position defensively (PF) while maintaining that athleticism; he provides a unique ability to combine quickness and athleticism with a sizeable frame in the mold of LJ or even Glen Davis...although Davis was 50 pounds heavier, an inch shorter, and truly trex armed in comparison coming out of LSU. I don't know what he will do, but he is unique, and worth consideration.

I am still iffy on Exum, although I have always been tough (perhaps unfairly) on pg's. I like the idea of Exum, but that's all he is at this point.

a two way player normally impact both sides. I dont see that in randle. His antiapation is low and he does not have the length to get his hands on balls. This is shown in his low steal rate and limited blocks. Again, at best, he can become anthony mason / karl malone. Very good defense players. Very quick big man that can move there feet. This is a stretch though. Malone got steals and had great antiapation and quick hands. randle better pray he becomes this good of a player.

I take Smart.

big men have a higher value. I think randle will get double doubles. I would go randle but I like smart alot. I see alot of karl malone in randle. I see smart as lance stevenson or a less offensive but better defensive daron williams.

I can also see us drafting randle and trading for smart or exum.

one of only 32 rookies ever to average at least 13 points, four rebounds, and four assists per game (and of those players, he did it in the fewest minutes per game)

from grantland regarding Victor Oladipo

victor is a keeper

Easily. I'm seeing him as a guy who is a fringe all-star in two years. I just keep believing we have a bright future, and it will only get brighter if we get a top 4 pick this year.