LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Nick Johnson or Marcus Smart will better PG. The plus side of Nick Johnson is that he can be either a PG or SG.

Oladipo is an ok PG, but not great.

http://www.orlandopi...pn-jeff-goodman

ESPN insider projects Orlando to pick Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart in the Draft.

PG: Smart

SG: Oladipo

SF: Harris

PF: Embiid

C: Vucevic

Any chance Smart falls to 12? The league is filled with good-to-great PGs so he might fall to us... or?

ESPN insider projects Orlando to pick Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart in the Draft.

Any chance Smart falls to 12? The league is filled with good-to-great PGs so he might fall to us... or?

Can't imagine a scenario where Smart slides all the way to #12 so I don't really see this scenario as realistic. Of course we could always dangle AA/Jameer/#12 and try to move up I suppose.

Can't imagine a scenario where Smart slides all the way to #12 so I don't really see this scenario as realistic. Of course we could always dangle AA/Jameer/#12 and try to move up I suppose.

I seriously doubt he falls to #12 so yeah, we'd need a trade for us to land him as our second pick.

Embiid and Smart....well hell lets not even have a draft then. If we get both these guys at 3/12 then we are in great shape. Maybe we could ask the other teams if they would mind if everyone followed the ESPN guide.

I personally think Vuch will be moved to go after Embiid and not with our first pick. I see Vuch and 12 moving us up for a shot at Embiid/Wiggins/Parker and our own pick being used on Exum. I think the prospect of Henny having to overpay a finesse guy like Vuch will force his hand on draft day. Embiid AND wiggins, Parker or Exum with Henny moving back in the mid first with Affalo plus Nelson for a flyer on someone. After the roster is cleansed of all Otis Smith players and set up with maximum flexibility for next years free agent push. All cheap young contracts with no significant players coming due in the near term. One more year of growth for the young guys and we are back in the mix. Don't say I didn't tell you.

Embiid and Smart....well hell lets not even have a draft then. If we get both these guys at 3/12 then we are in great shape. Maybe we could ask the other teams if they would mind if everyone followed the ESPN guide.

I personally think Vuch will be moved to go after Embiid and not with our first pick. I see Vuch and 12 moving us up for a shot at Embiid/Wiggins/Parker and our own pick being used on Exum. I think the prospect of Henny having to overpay a finesse guy like Vuch will force his hand on draft day. Embiid AND wiggins, Parker or Exum with Henny moving back in the mid first with Affalo plus Nelson for a flyer on someone. After the roster is cleansed of all Otis Smith players and set up with maximum flexibility for next years free agent push. All cheap young contracts with no significant players coming due in the near term. One more year of growth for the young guys and we are back in the mix. Don't say I didn't tell you.

I dont think we move nick. He is a top 5 rebounder/double double big and has good scoring ability. We would surely NOT give up nick and the 12th. Nick is a proven nba big. Even nick straight for embiid; would be a hard choice. I would try to pair both nick and embiid together or add noah at the 7th or 8th slots.

Interesting theory indeed

Interesting theory indeed

it matters what people feeling over paying is for nick. He is worth 10-12 million per year.

I would try 50mil over 5 years or 60 over 5 with team option in 3rd year.

it matters what people feeling over paying is for nick. He is worth 10-12 million per year.

I would try 50mil over 5 years or 60 over 5 with team option in 3rd year.

I agree he'll likely command $10-12 (easily) over the course of his next deal. Depends on if Henny feels he wants that money tied up in him or in other FA options next summer with Embiid being our long-term center. I could see a team picking in the 5-7 range considering a trade for Vuc. Think Embiid with our first pick, Exum/Smart with a pick in range 5-7 and then maybe Payne/Young/McDermott at 12? Seems plausible if not likely.

I dont think we move nick. He is a top 5 rebounder/double double big and has good scoring ability. We would surely NOT give up nick and the 12th. Nick is a proven nba big. Even nick straight for embiid; would be a hard choice. I would try to pair both nick and embiid together or add noah at the 7th or 8th slots.

It isn't about fair value...it is about being able to sign an extra $12 million free agent AND getting a talent like Embiid or Wiggins for a 4 year rookie deal in ADDITION. essentially you get a comparable but high upside guy and have all options open for the free agent period. I made a similar argument nearing the end of Dwight's rookie deal with different and names and wasn't understood. Now a similar scenario is in front of us. Imagine getting an extra $12 million dollar free agent and a guy like Embiid for Vuch. That is bullet proofing our future with a massive amount of talent. Essentially you turn Vuch into two great players inked for at least four years. What if Vuch got an overpaying offer and we chose not to match? We try and move him but the value is likely low. Henny isn't a dunce like Otis hopefully he wheels and deals into this years draft.

Imagine Embiid, wiggins, Oladipo and whoever he steals with a 14 pick he could get for AA/Jameer. Throw in a core of nice young CHEAP talent to grow and cultivate and he has changed the team for the better... You still have picks from D12, two top tier free agents to fill the spots not occupied by our YOUNG three and next season you have a nasty set of 5 starters....very nasty. On top of that you have guys like Harris and Harkless to come off the bench. Is Vuch expendable? Yes!

It isn't about fair value...it is about being able to sign an extra $12 million free agent AND getting a talent like Embiid or Wiggins for a 4 year rookie deal in ADDITION. essentially you get a comparable but high upside guy and have all options open for the free agent period. I made a similar argument nearing the end of Dwight's rookie deal with different and names and wasn't understood. Now a similar scenario is in front of us. Imagine getting an extra $12 million dollar free agent and a guy like Embiid for Vuch. That is bullet proofing our future with a massive amount of talent. Essentially you turn Vuch into two great players inked for at least four years. What if Vuch got an overpaying offer and we chose not to match? We try and move him but the value is likely low. Henny isn't a dunce like Otis hopefully he wheels and deals into this years draft.

Imagine Embiid, wiggins, Oladipo and whoever he steals with a 14 pick he could get for AA/Jameer. Throw in a core of nice young CHEAP talent to grow and cultivate and he has changed the team for the better... You still have picks from D12, two top tier free agents to fill the spots not occupied by our YOUNG three and next season you have a nasty set of 5 starters....very nasty. On top of that you have guys like Harris and Harkless to come off the bench. Is Vuch expendable? Yes!

Embiid has alot of upside. I have him number one on my board and I have for a long time, but he is unproven. nick is proven to be an impact player and shows up big against top teams like the heat. We have the ability to match and trade later, because of the rookie contract. I think nick is a keeper. we will win faster by keeping nick as a core piece.

I do see us trading harris if we land parker and want to keep him. I personally would go exum before parker. Like hennie, I like two way players and I think exum has the ability to be a two way player.