LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

If we get a top 3 pick and don't end up with Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, or MAYBE Exum (he would need to blow people away in pre-draft) I am going to be severely disappointed.

I think it is more because of the lack of low post bigs.

We've seen the problems that a generational big man presents to the league. Dwight was consistently treated differently by refs. They only call highly physical fouls and anytime he would return the physicality on offense he would get called for an offensive foul.

We've seen the issues in building an offense around a big man. It requires players who can pass the ball into the post. When plays break down in late game situations, the improvisation comes from a wing player, not a center.

When confronted with a hypothetical elite center vs a hypothetical elite wing, what do you choose?

Point to Duncan or Hakeem (Garnett?) as examples of building around a bigman for long term success.

Point to Jordan, Lebron, post Shaq Kobe (Dirk?) as examples of building around wings.

We've seen the problems that a generational big man presents to the league. Dwight was consistently treated differently by refs. They only call highly physical fouls and anytime he would return the physicality on offense he would get called for an offensive foul.

We've seen the issues in building an offense around a big man. It requires players who can pass the ball into the post. When plays break down in late game situations, the improvisation comes from a wing player, not a center.

When confronted with a hypothetical elite center vs a hypothetical elite wing, what do you choose?

Point to Duncan or Hakeem (Garnett?) as examples of building around a bigman for long term success.

Point to Jordan, Lebron, post Shaq Kobe (Dirk?) as examples of building around wings.

I like to be particular to each prospect. What's appealing to me about Embiid is that he is so young and has a defensive presence that Vooch does not. Would I (wearing my imaginary gm hat) build a team around him? Probably not at this point. Still if he were to become a Hibbert type of presence, that'd be a home run.

I also agree with your hope of a top 3 or 4 pick with those particular prospects.

Instead of comparing Embiid to Hakeem (which is way too early, and simply not fair) I think a far more fair comparison at this point is Anthony Davis. I get that wing players rule the NBA, but come draft time every GM salivates over the big man, and Embiid's athleticism, footwork, and ability to learn the game seem to be off the charts. Keep in mind that drafting Embiid gives us the flexibility to trade Vuc if we so choose to try and pick up that star wing player we will need. I just think Wiggins has an extremely high bust potential and I don't have that same fear with Embiid. I trust Henny though, so as long as its Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Randle (what's wrong with Z. Randolph 2.0?) or Exum I think we'll be pleased

I like to be particular to each prospect. What's appealing to me about Embiid is that he is so young and has a defensive presence that Vooch does not. Would I (wearing my imaginary gm hat) build a team around him? Probably not at this point. Still if he were to become a Hibbert type of presence, that'd be a home run.

I also agree with your hope of a top 3 or 4 pick with those particular prospects.

Also, if you think about it, the hypothetical window for contention for us is going to be between 3-8 years from now. Lebron is going to be 32 three years from now. Paul George is going to be 26. Hibbert will be 30. Dwight will be 31.

We need to build a team to defeat the top teams in 2017-2022. That's likely going to consist of past his prime lebron (though still highly productive, not the athletic terror he is now), prime Paul George and Hibbert on the decline. Anthony Davis, the stars in the 2014 class, and Jahlil Okafor.

Maybe we would be better off grabbing Embiid.

Also, if you think about it, the hypothetical window for contention for us is going to be between 3-8 years from now. Lebron is going to be 32 three years from now. Paul George is going to be 26. Hibbert will be 30. Dwight will be 31.

We need to build a team to defeat the top teams in 2017-2022. That's likely going to consist of past his prime lebron (though still highly productive, not the athletic terror he is now), prime Paul George and Hibbert on the decline. Anthony Davis, the stars in the 2014 class, and Jahlil Okafor.

Maybe we would be better off grabbing Embiid.

Or we can all pray that Henny pulls off some wizardry with his second pick and assets and parlays it into another Top 6 pick and we can get Embiid AND a stud wing.

Yeah I know it will never happen. But we can all hope. Till then cheer for the Nuggets and Knicks to loose everything!!! Then we get the #1 and #3. Imagine waking away with 2 out of Parker, Wiggins, and Embiid. That would be... just bananas. And again will never happen.

Or we can all pray that Henny pulls off some wizardry with his second pick and assets and parlays it into another Top 6 pick and we can get Embiid AND a stud wing.

Yeah I know it will never happen. But we can all hope. Till then cheer for the Nuggets and Knicks to loose everything!!! Then we get the #1 and #3. Imagine waking away with 2 out of Parker, Wiggins, and Embiid. That would be... just bananas. And again will never happen.

A hypothetical Bledsoe-oladipo-Wiggins-Vucevic-Embiid lineup would be terrifying for opposing offenses.

A hypothetical Bledsoe-oladipo-Wiggins-Vucevic-Embiid lineup would be terrifying for opposing offenses.

That would be terrifying for the entire league. That much young talent on one team? Every one of those players if they hit their ceiling have a chance to be all-stars.

I was thinking more this though. Henny manages to parlay our second first round pick into a 6-10 pick. We get the number 1 or 2 pick in the draft and take either Parker or Wiggins. Then it would be

PG: Smart

SG: Oladipo

SF: Parker/Wiggins

PF: Harris

C: Vucevic

Wouldn't be nearly as good on d as the team you listed above. But an absolutely incredible amount of stud young talent. Plus I think more realistic. I honestly would not doubt Henny at all in being able to land another pick in the 6 or 7 range and snag Smart. Getting Embiid along with both Parker or Wiggins? Yeah... That aint happening, but we can all dream.

I'm just not a fan of Smart. A PG that can't dribble or shoot the long ball scares the mess out of me. If we're going PG, Exum sounds like the man.

I'm just not a fan of Smart. A PG that can't dribble or shoot the long ball scares the mess out of me. If we're going PG, Exum sounds like the man.

I'm a fan of smart with the 6 or 7 pick. Not in top 5.

I'm a fan of smart with the 6 or 7 pick. Not in top 5.

Thats what I'm thinking Drafting Smart over Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle or Exum? Fire Henny.

PAIRING Smart with one of those listed players? Give the man an extension for life.