Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

The official UCF thread...

I came across an email I sent to the Sentinel columnists last season after the ugly loss to Florida. It's long, but I thought you guys might like to read it. Much of it is still relevent a year later.

David, Mike, and Jemele,

Please take a moment to read my email. Although I don't expect a response, I would like you to at least consider what I have to say.

I was born and grew up in Orlando. I received a Bachelor's degree from UCF and a Master's degree from Rollins College. I have since continued to live and work here in Orlando. In fact, I work on the top floor of the Wachovia Building and can see the Orlando Sentinel offices across Colonial. I'd like to think that I have much invested in the two great local institutions of higher learning. I have been a UCF football season ticket holder since 1997 and have recently increased my donation level so that I can assure myself of tickets in the new on-campus stadium. So, the point is that I am a very huge (and currently dejected) Golden Knights fan.

I personally think that we have a long climb to get to the national prominence of other State schools. What I do like is the progress we have made in a short period of time. However, it is disconcerting to me that the three main feature columnists for the Orlando Sentinel sports page have taken up the cause of cutting UCF down to size - which is apparently very small. Granted, when we lay down for USF (last year) and throw a goose egg against UF, we have very little leeway for stating a case about anything. However, I do feel that there is a happy medium between the columnists writing "painful truths" and just piling on.

As an example, I'd like to point to a portion of Mr. Whitley's column from Sunday in which he refers to Chris Leak's post-game quotes:

"We've got to enjoy this win against a great team," he said. "But we've got to go to work tomorrow."

Zzzzzz.

UCF may have made a few impressions at Florida Field, but "great team" was not one of them. This was just another case of Leak being Leak. Saying the right thing, striking the proper pose, avoiding potential mousetraps at all cost.

Why couldn't he have said, "We toyed with that commuter college from Mouse-ville, and I had a lot to do with it."

Such talk certainly would have been justified."

Surely, UCF has no argument for how it performed. But it was almost cruel for you to say that Leak could have referred to us as a "commuter college from Mouse-ville." This insults not only UCF but Orlando. Certainly, as the 7th largest University in the country, we have outgrown the "commuter school" moniker, regardless of our on-the-field performance. But I almost want to give you some slack Mr. Whitley, considering you are a UF alumnus.

Mike, I have always enjoyed your columns, primarily because you are purposely outlandish. It was refreshing when you joined the Sentinel staff. Of course, there are plenty of times when I disagree with you, but you are always entertaining. However, your entire column (link here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-bi...coll=orl-sports-col) on Sunday dropped me into such a funk at a time when I didn't think I could get any lower than "42 to 0." Your column offers very little hope. It is as if UCF might as well give up now! You mention what it takes to build a program, and the points you make have merit. But this is when I feel my point should be heard: I feel that the primary media outlet for a school owes at least some allegiance to that school. This does not mean that all press or columns must be "clear skies of blue" but it at least should not be so slanted against the school. The Sentinel does a decent job in balancing the coverage (Kyle Hightower is great), but perhaps there should be a UCF grad hired as a columnist as well.

The one disadvantage that UCF will always have when compared to Florida (or even Florida State) is that, in Orlando, we will always play "second fiddle" to schools that reside over 100 miles away. Truly, had we actually won that game on Saturday, the Sentinel headline would likely have been "Gators Blow It" instead of "Knights Win." In the smaller town of Gainesville, the Gators have no competition. All media outlets are fully dedicated to them. They have never had to win anyone over. Even if the Gator columnists are critical, the Gators at least know that they are on their side. But, unfortunately, UCF has to try to win over its own local paper. While I have to agree with you Mike that Jerry Greene's recent prediction for a UCF victory was very surprising, I don't think he deserved to be called a "homer." In fact, it would seem that we could use a little more "homerism" around here! And let's be realistic here, aren't most, if not all Gator fans "homers?" All your years covering the Gators, surely you have been guilty of that!

As for Jemele, I can't say enough about how much I have enjoyed your unique viewpoint on sports and race. Many times I agree completely with your insight; while other times I don't. But it is always worth reading. I was a little caught off guard by your column today (link here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-hi...coll=orl-sports-col) regarding why USF shouldn't have to play UCF. Why is it important for readers in Orlando to have to hear this about a team in Tampa? I could understand a writer for the Tampa Tribune saying this, but come on, how bout some home field advantage here? And I must disagree with your feeling that USF has more to lose. This is a crucial game for UCF as it could mean the difference between gaining a local perception victory against USF or sinking back into the pack. USF, even if it loses, has its BCS pedigree to fall back on. Your comment: "no offense to UCF fans, but it is the Bulls who are sitting at the adults' table, not the Golden Knights," is in fact, rather offensive to UCF fans because it implies that membership in a BCS conference is a requirement to being a successful program. Also, you say that we are "arrogant and ignorant" to think that they won't play us out of fear? Yes, it is fear! As you later state, their local perception could take a hit if they continuously lose to us. That is something to fear! But UCF fans do not have to take USF feelings into consideration when trying to determine the best schedule for our program and the local economy. I don't read the Tampa Tribune of the St. Pete Times but I cannot imagine a columnist from those papers getting away with writing an article that tries to persuade USF fans to see things from UCF's point of view. Surely Mike, you have a rebuttal planned for Jemele, considering your past articles on this series.

In general, I think that all three of you shouldn't fault UCF or its fans for wanting more for our program. Look at all the efforts that the city of Orlando and Orange County are making to turn this area into as great a city as it can be. Why fault the local university for trying to be bigger and better? No one should tell us to be content with where we are. And whether it is rational or not it is OK for us to be impatient to get there! After all, we are constantly surrounded by all the hoopla from the other State teams! I can't imagine any non-BCS school being content to stay where it is. Can you imagine a school from the MAC turning down a chance to join the Big Ten? Or one of the Conf. USA schools from Texas joining the Big 12? And isn't Fresno State just waiting and waiting for that Pac 10 invite? And surely Vanderbilt hopes to one day compete in the SEC.

Despite the horrendous loss to UF, and regardless of Saturday's outcome against USF, we have all the resources and potential to as good a program as any in the country, all we need is a lot more time, but just a little more support!!! Thanks for hearing me out.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

What kind of response did you get?

I am sure you will not be at all surprised to hear that I did not receive a response back from Jemele Hill.

However, I did receive responses back from both David Whitley and Mike Bianchi.

Here is Mike's:

Bill: Thanks for the e-mail. I believe we have supported UCF when the situation has merited it. I've written numerous supporting the rivarly with USF. We jumped on the bandwagon last year when UCF hosted the Conference USA championship game. We have supported the building of the on-campus stadium. However, after a 42-0 loss, the situation did not merit a positive UCF column. If Florida loses 42-0 to Tennessee this week, you better believe the Gators will not be treated kindly by newspaper columnists. If Florida State had lost to Troy last week, they would not have been treated kindly either. Anyway, hope you will keep reading and keep writing. -Mike

And here is the surprisingly long response from David Whitley:

Bill,

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't respond, somewhat belatedly, to a reader who put in the time and thought you did. Most e-mailers expend much less of both.

I won't speak for my colleagues, but I'm certainly happy to address your gripe with me. The column I did was on Chris Leak and how his low-keyed approach is under-appreciated by Florida fans, many of whom are caught up in a premature love affair with Tim Tebow.

I was trying to make the point that, for better and worse, people identify more with outlandish talk and behavior - something the robotic, clich

Bianchi from the other day:

quote:
It was last year about this time that I wrote a column in which the University of South Florida was referred to as a "renegade program" because it had recruited nine players who were booted out of school for being academic non-qualifers and had four players either arrested or serving suspensions for drug violations.

Not even 365 days later, USF is playing the biggest game in its history tonight against No. 5 West Virginia. A capacity crowd of 65,000 is expected, and victory would propel USF into the national championship conversation.

Translation: Those academic and disciplinary problems the Bulls have faced in recent years now mean diddlypoo.

Boosters and fans don't really care if their school is recruiting questionable characters and taking academic risks. Not as long as those risks result in victories. Do you think USF fans -- or any fans for that matter -- ever say: "The coach has to be fired. Who cares if we're a national championship contender? Our composite GPA is last in the league!"

Look at UCF last year: The Knights had the second-highest grade-point average in school history with 41 players boasting a GPA of 3.00 or higher. But guess what? The Knights were 4-8 on the field, and the fans were miserable.

Contrast that feeling to what's going on at UCF now. The Knights are 2-1 and could have been 3-0 if they'd pulled off a near-upset of sixth-ranked Texas. The fans are understandably ecstatic. Raise your hand if you think the mass euphoria would be diminished one iota if the fan base found out the GPA had dropped from 3.1 to 1.3

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi2807se...coll=orl_sports_util

I think that a happy medium can be reached. I like the fact that O'Leary is only recruiting quality guys; but I would be disappointed if that led to a mediocre record year after year.

If a coach has put together a good academic staff, then even an athlete who barely qualified can be tutored and helped to acheive a decent GPA. The overall GPA doesn't have to be 3.0 each semester.

And this doesn't mean that O'Leary can't occasionally go after that one blue chip difference maker that has a sketchy past.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

I just ran across this:

478916844_d8887795fc.jpg

YES!!! Best pic ever. Someone on the UCF rivals site uses it as their sig.

Great news with Rice beating Southern Miss, and your right this ECU game just got bigger.

And I am in a bad situation right now when it comes to the USF game. A couple of my friends are trying to get me to go. But my girlfriend goes to FL Gulf Coast and tells me that she took off the whole weekend from her job so I could go over there and visit her. Why oh why couldnt it be this weekend. So I can either go to the game and piss my girlfriend off, or I can take the high road and watch the game in a dorm room the size of a closet. S**T

quote:
And I am in a bad situation right now when it comes to the USF game. A couple of my friends are trying to get me to go. But my girlfriend goes to FL Gulf Coast and tells me that she took off the whole weekend from her job so I could go over there and visit her. Why oh why couldnt it be this weekend. So I can either go to the game and piss my girlfriend off, or I can take the high road and watch the game in a dorm room the size of a closet. S**T

Hmm... Thats a tough one. It looks like the game is sold out so I might be watching it on ESPN... Ohh well.