Sign in to follow this  
royce59

in defense of the coach

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Emory, if you look at my post right after Smack I adressed that question about Redick.

Grant Hill got 2 early fouls called on him. With his new rotation he could choose Redick or Dooling as a sub. I don't blame him one bit. A defensive backcourt of Nelson and Redick will not work. It's not that J.J. is that bad but when you pair him Jameer it's not very effective. I've been saying that since Redick was drafted.

When Dooling plays point it works. See the Jazz game.

Anyway, Hill's rotations got messed up because of that and he wasn't able to employ the line-up that was so effective against the Jazz. On top of that Turkoglu came up with his mysterious stomach flu again.

I noticed last night that if Redick just touched somebody they called a foul. You know the NBA. Rookies get no respect.

The Kings backcourt isn't big or especially fast. Bibby and Martin are good players but Jameer and JJ played them well in the first half so why wouldn't it work in the second half. JJ did make some defensive errors but it was silly ones like fouling a jump shooter. I didn't see anyone blow by JJ on defense last night and I even saw him play good post defense on 2 occasions.

I like what I saw from Dooling in the Jazz game. That's my point, with the previous rotation if Grant was to get in foul trouble then Dooling went in and if Jameer got into foul trouble then Arroyo would go in. I don't ever recall Brian Hill sending in Arroyo to spell Grant. So unless the coach wants Jameer to play major minutes he knows he is messing up the lineup by putting in his backup pg to play the sg. Especially when he has JJ and Bogans ready to go. That would have kept the Jazz rotations in tact.

After the great half that JJ had I still don't understand the logic behind starting both Grant and Ariza. Everytime I look at that lineup I see major offensive problems. That lineup has 1 shooter (Jameer), 2 slashers, Dwight, and a hustle guy in Battie. I don't see how anyone is going to score unless they manage to get fast break points.

Who else on their roster is a respected threat from the outside except Redick? Bogans has been slumping for the last 2 months. Arroyo is no 3-point threat. Turkoglu had the flu. Diener was in street clothes.

Let's be honest, our roster is full of holes. Everything is not the coaches fault as Marc said. Brian chooses to try and get offense from having an aggressive defense like the Jazz game.

Redick can shoot but as Denton spoke in his blog he has "flaws" in his game.

quote:
Again, our team has "major" personnel flaws.

See Denton blog.

Denton is one man not proof positive. At the end of last season and the beginning of this season we had a young team with a bright future. Now the argument goes that in a few months all potential has vanished and the team is fatally flawed. The coach is not a major problem. Its all the promising players we have? What?

Sorry but the facts are we are losing by riding old players that are not part of the future core Otis envisioned. Battie as core? Hill as core? Hedo? Isn't it obvious something is wrong with him? Hasn't it been obvious for months? For the sake of defending one coach that can't develop talent and instead loves veteran we are going to dump the whole team? Do you love the Magic or just the coach?

Incidentally anyone who states that offense will "Take care of itself" is day dreaming instead of coaching. In the NBA if you can't put the ball in the basket you are improving the other teams defense. The game is played at both ends. Chicago had great defensive players including one named Michael Jordan and they still worked on structured triangle offense even with the greatest offensive player in the world on the court.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
Again, our team has "major" personnel flaws.

See Denton blog.

Denton is one man not proof positive. At the end of last season and the beginning of this season we had a young team with a bright future. Now the argument goes that in a few months all potential has vanished and the team is fatally flawed. The coach is not a major problem. Its all the promising players we have? What?

Sorry but the facts are we are losing by riding old players that are not part of the future core Otis envisioned. Battie as core? Hill as core? Hedo? Isn't it obvious something is wrong with him? Hasn't it been obvious for months? For the sake of defending one coach that can't develop talent and instead loves veteran we are going to dump the whole team? Do you love the Magic or just the coach?

Incidentally anyone who states that offense will "Take care of itself" is day dreaming instead of coaching. In the NBA if you can't put the ball in the basket you are improving the other teams defense. The game is played at both ends. Chicago had great defensive players including one named Michael Jordan and they still worked on structured triangle offense even with the greatest offensive player in the world on the court.

Miami, I've stated my opinion in this thread already. If you want to go back and read it help yourself. I'm not going to keep repeating the same things over and over cause honestly I don't like typing that much.(lol)

You are correct, John Denton is not the end-all. But I certainly put a lot of stock into what he says cause studying the team and writing about them is his full time job.

His experience with basketball is probably much more vast than anyone on these boards. He also writes for ESPN, Hoopsworld and the Flordia Today.

quote:
His experience with basketball is probably much more vast than anyone on these boards. He also writes for ESPN, Hoopsworld and the Flordia Today.

Facts aren't established by appealing to any one person was my only point Ball Junkie. Lighten up. If you have a young team you don't expect them to be THE team they are going to be this year. We do not have a coach that even likes to play young players much less develop them.

Theres absolutely no reason to change direction with personnel except Jameer. How many games would we have won this year with another scorer ? Plenty. We are slated to go after one this offseason

I don't think its a coincidence that those who are the greatest defenders of BHill tend to be the ones leading the charge to scrap the team. Its a great cover for him.

Nah. If you say you have a young team with promise get a coach that knows how to develop not ride old vetrans regardless of whats happening on the court.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Grant was useless? I'm sure anybody on this team would be useless when guarded by Ron Artest.

Its a poor shooting night and lack of execution. Signs of a young team.

Maybe you forgot that Grant is playing out of position. He is our SG and was matched up with Martin, not Artest.

Grant was indeed useless.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Grant was useless? I'm sure anybody on this team would be useless when guarded by Ron Artest.

Its a poor shooting night and lack of execution. Signs of a young team.

Maybe you forgot that Grant is playing out of position. He is our SG and was matched up with Martin, not Artest.

Grant was indeed useless.

Meanwhile, Trevor was doing very well in the first half scoring on Artest.

no disrespect to the thread starter but does this even merit a response? You gotta be kidding me..

Leave it up to the undercover Brian Hill supporters who IMO want the team to lose.

As long as there are people who refuse to call for Hill's ouster the team is doomed.

Leadership? leadership should start at and come from the coach, that is kind of the job that the coach has, to lead the team, I can think of many players who have leadership qualities, G hill, maybe, jameer? nope not really he has been lazy, and unprepared mentally this year for most of the games, really, how bout the work ethic that diener, and jj have going on, oh wait work ethic hasn't been rewarded this season, who else battie, dooling has hustled almost every minute he has played, he seems like a leader, wait speeking of hustle Mr. outlaw would take offense to anyone saying he hasn't been a good leader repeatedly the last five years, no it is the coach's disabilites that hold this team back. who was it earlier that posted about the coach playing two small forwards ariza, and G hill at the same time and wondering why there is no offense. neither can hit a shot from outside 15 feet, but we all know that and we don't expect them to do that, so they go out play their hearts out on Defense, slash to the basket only to find no room near the basket because there is other player on the court beside two foot tall jameer to hit a jumpshot, that means every one is cheating two steps in tward the basket. and so the Offense bogs down and you tell me that because G hill isn't hitting 3's left and right we need personel, FOIEY, Why not play Dooling and redick at the same time and Diener and G hill at the same time, We need to start using the proper personel, and stop whinning that we don't have MJ, KoBe, Shaq, Magic Jhonson, and Wilt chambelin as our starting line up.

Personel problems, we don't have the dream team, or anything but this very same team has battled through poor conditions and won consistently during the early season. This team can and should win, and should make the playoffs, we are in the very weakest division, and are not the worst team, in the division, from a personel stand point.

Speaking strictly from a personel stand point the position on this team with the least amount of talent... Yep you guessed it... COACH

If you want to defend the coach then give some specific examples of decisions, or Instances where he has influenced the team in a positive manner. There are many negatives, posted every day, I Will start, I liked the line ups and rotations used against Utah, letting dooling play PG, like he was brought over here to do by management, Playing JJ at with ariza, and dooling, That was positive, benching Arroyo, It's about time, that was positive for our team.