Sign in to follow this  
star_phenom35

Best Lineup thread

quote:
Originally posted by hs18:

You can't compare rooting for Jameer Nelson to do well this year to calling Carlos Arroyo "St.Carlos". That is, unless you are delusional.

Welcome to the Magic board. The St. Carlos prayer is a prayer that our friend Knappy does every day before posting in this board. this prayer has nothing to do with Carlos over Jameer. I like both player,that's why, I never said something bad about Jameer. Meanwhile Knappy all the time has something negative to say about Carlos.

rob, i have to disagree on the line up. the only players who have a spot are lewis and howard. every thing else is open and i see dooling competing for the pg spot more that the sg. he would serve the team better at point with his leadership. jacklj

Carlos is a good point guard I just don't think he fits with our team. Hopefully he proves me wrong because at least one thing is certain in this debate- without better point guard play this year we are not going anywhere in the playoffs(confidently assuming we make the playoffs).

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

rob, i have to disagree on the line up. the only players who have a spot are lewis and howard. every thing else is open and i see dooling competing for the pg spot more that the sg. he would serve the team better at point with his leadership. jacklj

Its like you have this thing about Nelson not being the starter. Its weird just cause he lacks defense. How many pgs actually beat us with their pgs anyways. Besides Arenas, in which he could be a sg as well. Just say it, its a height thing to you. Dooling could still be a leader at sg. Dooling is a flashy type player, why would you start him at the pg. He can put up points for us and thats what position he played with the Heat until they got Wade. Dooling is more of a sg then pg and you know it. I just feel he can do more at the sg then pg. If Dooling starts at pg then who will start at sg then.

i could care less how tall or short a player is. nelson's defense is not that great but his problem is decision making, passing, turn overs, and leadership. i just dont think we can go very far with him unless he makes a big turn around under svg. i hope he can. its not about if i like him or not. im sure he is a fine young man and i wish him the best. just like you i am a magic fan. trevor is not that big but i think he would do very well at pf. he would surprise people with his defense, speed and hustle. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

i could care less how tall or short a player is. nelson's defense is not that great but his problem is decision making, passing, turn overs, and leadership. i just dont think we can go very far with him unless he makes a big turn around under svg. i hope he can. its not about if i like him or not. im sure he is a fine young man and i wish him the best. just like you i am a magic fan. trevor is not that big but i think he would do very well at pf. he would surprise people with his defense, speed and hustle. jacklj

Are you fu***** serious. He only commited 2tpg out of a team average 17tpg. How many times do i have to keep saying that sh**. His defense is his only major problem. Also at times he makes some bad decisions but who doesnt. But go ahead and try to find some other sh** on him. Nelson wouldnt have took so many shots if someone wouldve stepped up. I didnt see Hill takeover games. I saw Hedo takeover 1 game and that was at the end of the season against Toronto Raptors. So somebody had to do something. If thats not a leader, than what is. If the smallest guy on the court can takeover a game against the #1 defense in the league and 06-07 champs, then you have to keep him in the lineup. He can only get better. Dont change nothing. Nelson Lewis Howard should be considered the starters for right now. Who's the Sg and Pf should be the only questions we should be asking. Nelson and Howard already have chemistry and Lewis is bonding with them so that trio should get real used to each other. Every good team has a trio and now we have one. Nelson is a balla, he will adjust to any system and perform well. Dooling is a fu***** sg that can also play some pg. I rather Dooling play sg then try out Ariza there. He undersized for a pf but hes quicker than most so that might work out fine. But he shouldnt start though. I truly feel that Gortat should show that he can start at pf and play alongside Howard. I would like them to get used to each other rather than having him backup Howard. Foyle can backup Howard and Battie or Ariza can backup Gortat. Turk can backup Lewis and Redick can backup Dooling. That leaves Arroyo to backup Nelson. Before you shoot down Nelson, you should consider that he was in a bad system that made him hold the ball and just dribble around until the shot clock ran out. Van Gundy is more of an uptempo offense so your going to see a new and improved Nelson. This guy is talented and guess you think just like Otis do, lets just get rid of our talented players AGAIN. Im sick of that sh**.

Rob, the language is uncalled for, and makes us take your opinions less seriously, not more.

Furthermore, from an assist-to-turnover ratio; Arroyo was the best at 2.24 during the season and improved to 6.0 in the playoffs; Nelson was at 1.80 during the season and really struggled at 1.47 in the playoffs; and Dooling was at 1.55 during the season but improved to 2.6 in the playoffs. Does that mean Arroyo should start? I don't actually think so, but it makes me more inclined to shift my starting line-up depending on the match-ups. I believe that a lot of Nelson's difficulties last year were caused by the structure of the offense, and I look for him to improve dramatically this year; but let's face the facts, last year was not what he wants to post on his resume!

Going strictly on a five-man best "team" basis, not necessarily a best player at each position, my line-ups look like this.

Starting

PG Jameer Nelson

SG Keith Bogans

SF Rashard Lewis

PF Tony Battie

C Dwight Howard

2nd unit

PG Keyon Dooling

SG JJ Reddick

SF Trevor Ariza

PF Hedo Turkoglu

C Adonal Foyle

I believe these line-ups are the best mix of offensive firepower and defensive prowess as a "set five", but as I said above, there are times I would use Arroyo to start for match-up reasons. There are times I might use Garrity at PF with Rashard or Hedo at the SF. I haven't seen enough of either Augustine's or Gortat's games to know where/when to use them yet.

If I take Howard and Lewis as locks to start, then I have to start Battie for his team defense and ability to hit the 12-15 foot shot. I then take Nelson for his offense, so I need Bogans for his defense and 3-point shot.

Is Reddick better offensively than Bogans? Probably, but you need at least one good defender in a backcourt position. Is Ariza a better defender than Bogans? Probably, but Bogans hits the 3

better to keep the opposing defense honest. Is Arroyo more of a true point than Nelson or Dooling? Probably, but in the mix, is he as good a fit? I don't think so.

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

Rob, the language is uncalled for, and makes us take your opinions less seriously, not more.

Furthermore, from an assist-to-turnover ratio; Arroyo was the best at 2.24 during the season and improved to 6.0 in the playoffs; Nelson was at 1.80 during the season and really struggled at 1.47 in the playoffs; and Dooling was at 1.55 during the season but improved to 2.6 in the playoffs. Does that mean Arroyo should start? I don't actually think so, but it makes me more inclined to shift my starting line-up depending on the match-ups. I believe that a lot of Nelson's difficulties last year were caused by the structure of the offense, and I look for him to improve dramatically this year; but let's face the facts, last year was not what he wants to post on his resume!

Going strictly on a five-man best "team" basis, not necessarily a best player at each position, my line-ups look like this.

Starting

PG Jameer Nelson

SG Keith Bogans

SF Rashard Lewis

PF Tony Battie

C Dwight Howard

2nd unit

PG Keyon Dooling

SG JJ Reddick

SF Trevor Ariza

PF Hedo Turkoglu

C Adonal Foyle

I believe these line-ups are the best mix of offensive firepower and defensive prowess as a "set five", but as I said above, there are times I would use Arroyo to start for match-up reasons. There are times I might use Garrity at PF with Rashard or Hedo at the SF. I haven't seen enough of either Augustine's or Gortat's games to know where/when to use them yet.

If I take Howard and Lewis as locks to start, then I have to start Battie for his team defense and ability to hit the 12-15 foot shot. I then take Nelson for his offense, so I need Bogans for his defense and 3-point shot.

Is Reddick better offensively than Bogans? Probably, but you need at least one good defender in a backcourt position. Is Ariza a better defender than Bogans? Probably, but Bogans hits the 3

better to keep the opposing defense honest. Is Arroyo more of a true point than Nelson or Dooling? Probably, but in the mix, is he as good a fit? I don't think so.

Well i view things different from most of you guys on here. Nelson didnt mess up as bad as you guys make it seem. Defense from him was his biggest problem. I believe his turnover average were lower then most pgs in the league at 2tpg. However as a team they had the highest turnover average in the league at 17tpg. So according to stats, he wasnt the main problem. He made bad decisions at times. Name a player on the team that didnt. Too much negativity against Nelson who's coming off his 3rd season. The offensive scheme was terrible but blame it on Nelson. Why dont Otis trade him then and help another team out. So quick to trade their talent away. Im just sick of that. We had Tmac, ran him off. Players like that you give them what they want. Surround them with good players to keep him here. He wouldnt have left if the Magic would have kept some of the players who now are stars. All this talk about replacing Nelson is ridiculous. But go ahead, i really stop caring now. Any player that can show up in a big game against the #1 defense in the league now champs and lead us to a victory. Now you want to replace him. Thats pure leadership. A 3rd year player takeover a big game playing a new position at sg and facing off with a good defender in Ginobili and scorching him for 31 points to help us win. That lets me know when Lewis or Howard is having a bad shooting night, dont count Jameer Nelson out. Now yall wanna replace him. Go ahead. Its fu***** stupid but go ahead and help another team get better like always. Why cause he didnt end up with assist averages like Nash or Billups. Look at the weapons they have. How could they not have high assist averages. Who Nelson had that was consistent, Howard, thats it. This is just unbelievable. The defense already knew who he was going to pass it to everytime. Thats coaching not Nelson. I just hope when Nelson gets traded he becomes as good as i know he will be. He now recieving the blame cause a dumbas s coach that dont know how to use his players. Playing that old man type of offense. Its all about run and gun offense now. Using the basic pick and roll plays and some spot ups, thats about it. Hes not a shoot first pg, he had no fu***** choice to become one. Nobody stepped up. I guess i was the only saw that. If Hedo would have stepped up big he wouldnt be benched starting this season with Lewis in his spot now would he.

C-Howard

PF-Turkoglu

SF-Lewis

SG-Ariza

PG-Nelson

SVG did say that Hedo would play some PF this upcoming season, but if he wants a bigger 4 he can bring in Battie.The stragety is outscore the opponents early on and then maintain the lead with a better defense lineup.

This is the best lineup SORRY KNAPPY THIS IS THE TRUE LINEUP.

PG ARROYO/NELSON

SG JJ/DOOLING

SF ARIZA/TURK

PF LEWIS/BATIE WE CAN FIND A BETTER PF FOR BATTIE

C HOWARD/FOYLE

quote:
SVG did say that Hedo would play some PF this upcoming season, but if he wants a bigger 4 he can bring in Battie.The stragety is outscore the opponents early on and then maintain the lead with a better defense lineup.

Not a bad strategy there T-Cat. Though if thats the plan then offensive lineup would be

Dwight

Lewis

Turk

JJ

Nelson

And then defensive lineup would be

Foyle

Dwight

Ariza

Bogans

Dooling

But an allround lineup of

Dwight

Lewis

Bogans/Ariza

Redick

Nelson

would be better. Atleast untill we can get another big body to bang in the paint. Still hoping Otis lands us Evans.

Hahahhaa can somebody tell me why Rob got pissed like if somebody wouldve insulted his mom?? look budy this board is for opinion and if u cant deal with it too bad. The same circumstances that Nelson was going through last year were the same for everybody so that excuse that he was on a bad system counts for everybody. Nelson played 30 minutes per game with the starting line up while arroyo got stucked with people that cant score.

And please try to remember what happend on the playoffs that Arroyo was the only one playing with heart and played a great role.On the last game we lost because of Jameer. Jameer is a great player but he thinks hes kobe and shoots all the important shots trying to be the Jordan of the magics but hes not. And he had a lot more chances than anyone in the team, lets not forget that he was B.Hill's favorite.