Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Yeah, it's all about mentalities. Some people thrive under pressure (they want to be the best guy on the court, either as a starter or coming off the bench) and that would be a role better suited for Victor Oladipo.

McLemore should never have the pressure of being the best guy on the court because I think he wouldn't be able to handle it, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to know your role, otherwise you'll have guys like Big Baby who aren't even all-stars but want to play like superstars.

And yeah, I agree that Harris would be a better 6th man than Harkless because he's simply a better player. My doubt was if Harris would be OK coming off the bench. Some people like being the Manu Ginobili / OKC James Harden guy but others don't. Harris has the potential to be an All-Star so I don't know how he would feel

I'd say at this point Harris hasn't proven enough not to be ok coming off the bench (especially if he plays more minutes than a starter), but I could definitely see some potential discontent down the road (or at least around time of contract re-negotiation). My thinking was simply that, being an offensive minded tweener, he would be more suited coming off the bench and adjusting to the flow of the game and match-ups. Starting him next to Vooch is also quite problematic from a defensive standpoint, but I don't suppose that we have too many other options at that slot - at least not yet :D

• Upvote 1

I'd say at this point Harris hasn't proven enough not to be ok coming off the bench (especially if he plays more minutes than a starter), but I could definitely see some potential discontent down the road (or at least around time of contract re-negotiation). My thinking was simply that, being an offensive minded tweener, he would be more suited coming off the bench and adjusting to the flow of the game and match-ups. Starting him next to Vooch is also quite problematic from a defensive standpoint, but I don't suppose that we have too many other options at that slot - at least not yet :D/>

I agree with everything. He'd be a great bench player and candidate for 6th man of the year right away

I'm on the same boat.

--

I'd really love to get a top 3 pick next year. Even if we miss on Wiggins we can take Julius Randle (who I really like) and Jabari Parker who's pretty damn good

No matter what we do, after these next 2 drafts, we'll probably have to bench either Harkless or Harris. Who do you think would be the best fit as a 6th man?

I obviously think Harris would be an amazing bench player because of his energy, but I also think he might not want to play that role because he's too good.

I guess Harkless wouldn't be too happy being a 6th man either but if we get McLemore I think we should start him.

McLemore is not an "immediate energy" guy - that's usually reserved for more selfish players e.g. JR Smith - but he could be a great spot-up shooter (the same way Shane Battier plays better as a starter).

--

A team I'd be really happy with would be

Vucevic/O'Quinn

Randle/someone?

Tobias/Harkless

McLemore/energy SG, Lance Stephenson type of guy

Schröder/Nelson

Vucevic-Randle could be a Gasol-Randolph like combo offensively. Defensively they'd have to improve a lot, but time is on their side

Nelson would be a great 6th man, in my opinion

That team would take the pressure off a lot of guys, no one would be the clear star (Memphis/Indiana/San Antonio/2008 Boston way) and it would be a really fun team to watch.

We could have a tough time keeping it together (many potential stars) but it is what it is

EDIT: I completely forgot we had Andrew Nicholson, which is not a good thing.

Well were really going far into the future with this one. But I just think it's wayyyy to early to tell who will be coming off the bench or who will be starting .We really just don't know yet. I mean does anyone know what Harkless will be in 2-3 years? Harris? Vuch? McLemore/Oli?

It's fun to speculate but I just would not even no where to start without really knowing what we have.

I do like how you have Harris at the SF. I hate seeing him at PF. It's just not his position at all, granted he could play it with certain lineups throughout the game. I would love that starting lineup you listed given those players pan out.

I think a lot of us lost hope with Nicholson developing into a starter, but fortunately we get to see another season of him before the deliciously top-forward heavy 2014. I also hope that the FO does something with Afflalo-especially if we go with Depo or Benny this draft. I guess questions like these are part of the reason why so many people want the safety of the Burke pick.

And although I agree with the necessity of starting McLemore (once again assuming, among other things, that Afflalo is gone), I think Harris would be better off the bench than Harkless. I'd also like to go out a limb and say that Oladipo would be far better than McLemore as a 6th :D/>

People on here actually thought he could be a starter? Wow. No way ever.

Yeah, it's all about mentalities. Some people thrive under pressure (they want to be the best guy on the court, either as a starter or coming off the bench) and that would be a role better suited for Victor Oladipo.

McLemore should never have the pressure of being the best guy on the court because I think he wouldn't be able to handle it, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to know your role, otherwise you'll have guys like Big Baby who aren't even all-stars but want to play like superstars.

And yeah, I agree that Harris would be a better 6th man than Harkless because he's simply a better player. My doubt was if Harris would be OK coming off the bench. Some people like being the Manu Ginobili / OKC James Harden guy but others don't. Harris has the potential to be an All-Star so I don't know how he would feel

I think it's to early to make statements like this too. How do we know McLemore can't have the pressure of being the best player on the court at some point in his career? Were basing this off of 1 year of college ball we watched?

And no one on the current roster has the right to be upset with coming off the bench. All of them together won less than 25games. Vuch is the only person I could see having an issue with coming off the bench but even he needs to improve his defense for this team to ever become anything serious.

Well were really going far into the future with this one. But I just think it's wayyyy to early to tell who will be coming off the bench or who will be starting .We really just don't know yet. I mean does anyone know what Harkless will be in 2-3 years? Harris? Vuch? McLemore/Oli?

It's fun to speculate but I just would not even no where to start without really knowing what we have.

I do like how you have Harris at the SF. I hate seeing him at PF. It's just not his position at all, granted he could play it with certain lineups throughout the game. I would love that starting lineup you listed given those players pan out.

I like Harris at PF, but if he were to start it would have to be at SF. Vucevic-Harris would be a terrible frontcourt, defensively.

----

Btw, that Adetokunbo kid.. holy **** how many ways to spell his last name are there? I've seen at least 4

I think it's to early to make statements like this too. How do we know McLemore can't have the pressure of being the best player on the court at some point in his career? Were basing this off of 1 year of college ball we watched?

True. Nothing is for certain, but he doesn't strike me as a go-to-guy and there's nothing wrong with it.

Obviously this could change, sometimes players explode just like Paul George did.

People on here actually thought he could be a starter? Wow. No way ever.

Absolutely, he was very strong in the summer and showed up for a few games in the season. Perhaps I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "could be a starter?"

Absolutely, he was very strong in the summer and showed up for a few games in the season. Perhaps I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "could be a starter?"

I just thought from the first day I saw him he didn't have the body or foot speed to ever be an NBA starter. Mix that in with his terrible rebounding ability and lack of defense, I never saw him as more than a 12-18 minute off the bench guy.

I just thought from the first day I saw him he didn't have the body or foot speed to ever be an NBA starter. Mix that in with his terrible rebounding ability and lack of defense, I never saw him as more than a 12-18 minute off the bench guy.

agreed. Nicholson needs to shore up his d quite a bit but his lack of rebounding isnt terribly alarming since he plays next to vuc.

I'am not in favor of trading our pick.

I can't say that I really disagree with you, but I wouldn't say that the prospect of him becoming a starter is outlandish. Not every player on the team has to be a star or have tremendous upside. As everyone keeps mentioning, if he were to develop his mid range and defense, Nicholson could become a solid "sidekick" sort of player for a team with a good big man. That being said, whether Vooch reaches that level or not, I still do not see their games meshing all that well. Perhaps such is the reason for posters forgetting about Drew in their future plans ;)