Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

OT-the arena situation...

i have to vent here...

let me start this off by saying that i am a diehard magic fan through and through. i lived in orlando for my formative years and now live in kansas city.

if your commissioners vote to nix this venues project(much like the rail project), it will be because of the multitude of stupid people in that city. i just got done reading blogs on the sentinel about the venues, and not only do your columnists clearly oppose the plan, but a lot of citizens do too...they say there are more important things to spend money on. why is it that the majority of people think that the money used for the proposed projects can be used on other 'more important things'. its due to lack of information. too few people care enough to get the point across in orlando. if this deal doesnt go through this week, i think the magic should pick up their shiot and move cities. KC is looking for an nba team and they would sell out every **** night even if the team sucked. (basketball was invented in kansas, for those of you who didnt know). they take it seriously out here, and they are die hard. im saying this here because i know this is where the other die hard fans are for the magic. i dont want them to move cities, but it seems like the majority of people dont care one way or the other about anything in that city...depressing. i dont know what it would take, but someone needs to go door to door down there and educate some more people on what being a major league city is like. hell, we have the royals who suck, but they are popular here. dont even get me started on the chiefs, or KU basketball.

maybe some pro-venue protests in visible places this week leading up to the vote will help or something. why is it that the only people making noise are the ones who oppose the project???

i have to vent here...

let me start this off by saying that i am a diehard magic fan through and through. i lived in orlando for my formative years and now live in kansas city.

if your commissioners vote to nix this venues project(much like the rail project), it will be because of the multitude of stupid people in that city. i just got done reading blogs on the sentinel about the venues, and not only do your columnists clearly oppose the plan, but a lot of citizens do too...they say there are more important things to spend money on. why is it that the majority of people think that the money used for the proposed projects can be used on other 'more important things'. its due to lack of information. too few people care enough to get the point across in orlando. if this deal doesnt go through this week, i think the magic should pick up their shiot and move cities. KC is looking for an nba team and they would sell out every **** night even if the team sucked. (basketball was invented in kansas, for those of you who didnt know). they take it seriously out here, and they are die hard. im saying this here because i know this is where the other die hard fans are for the magic. i dont want them to move cities, but it seems like the majority of people dont care one way or the other about anything in that city...depressing. i dont know what it would take, but someone needs to go door to door down there and educate some more people on what being a major league city is like. hell, we have the royals who suck, but they are popular here. dont even get me started on the chiefs, or KU basketball.

maybe some pro-venue protests in visible places this week leading up to the vote will help or something. why is it that the only people making noise are the ones who oppose the project???

Most of the people that post on the Sentinel board are anti-venues, and from what I have seen anti anything that isn't handed to them on a silver platter with a contract signed in blood that nothing bad will ever happen. They are not realistic about things and they do not care about any sort of progress.

There are a lot of people in the area that very much want these venues to be a reality, the problem is that they don't get out and make their voices heard by voting. Because of this we keep getting people in positions of power that make decisions based on retirees and tourists.

Someone touched on this in another thread but those retirees and tourists are not going to be around forever. Drunk and WP also mentioned this and I feel the same way about it, younger people, the ones that will be adding to this area may just decide to move away to areas that do care about their opinion. They will take their enthusiasm and job skills to places that have things to offer them as a local resident.

Me personally, I'm tired of things being done half-***ed in this town, we build roads and schools for the people we have right now instead of what we are projected to have so they are obsolete by the time they are completed. I'm very frustrated by all of the resistance to change in this city by people that either live here part of the year or have no interest in the future of this city. If these venues don't go through I am going to think long and hard about moving to a city that is more forward thinking and has something more to offer than what Joe and Suzi Smith in Duluth want to do on their family vacation rather than what I want.

Arguing with the people on the Sentinel board is a waste of time. They can't get it through their skulls that the Tourist tax can not be used for police, roads, educations or anything else. We either use it on Venues or the tourist industry will be more than happy to spend it on advertising or another improvement to the already too big convention center.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Arguing with the people on the Sentinel board is a waste of time. They can't get it through their skulls that the Tourist tax can not be used for police, roads, educations or anything else. We either use it on Venues or the tourist industry will be more than happy to spend it on advertising or another improvement to the already too big convention center.

They actually don't seem to have a problem with adding on to the convention center, they believe that brings in more tourism dollars. When was the last time you went on vacation to see the convention center in a city? How many times have you been to the convention center in the last 5 yrs? They are unbelievable on that board.