Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Young Players who may Explode in 13-14

Interesting article on young players who could be looking at some big time seasons next year. Instead of going for obvious names like Davis or Lillard, BR went a bit more under the radar. And two Magic men made it on the list. I personally think you should add Vucevic to this list too...

Tobias Harris, Orlando Magic

Position: Forward

Experience: 2nd Season

2012-13 Season Averages

15.10 PER, 9.7 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.8 BPG

During the first half of the 2012-13 regular season, Tobias Harris averaged 4.9 points and 2.0 rebounds in 11.6 minutes per game. Since being traded from the Milwaukee Bucks to the Orlando Magic, however, Harris has been outstanding.

As a member of the Magic, Harris is averaging 16.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.5 blocks and 0.9 steals per game.

As the numbers suggest, Harris has been one of the most improved players in the NBA since making the jump to Orlando. Although the wins haven't piled up, Harris has been one of the most marvelous individual performers of the second half of the season.

Thus far, Harris has six double-doubles since joining Orlando—as a 6'8" hybrid forward.

The truth of the matter is that Harris' contributions have gone far beyond the stat sheet. Instead, he has delivered on both ends of the floor with poise and maturity.

Contrary to what his time with the Bucks suggested, Harris is a budding star.

Maurice Harkless, Orlando Magic

Position: Guard/Forward

Experience: Rookie

2012-13 Season Averages

13.40 PER, 25.1 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 1.1 SPG, 0.8 BPG

Due to his season averages, Maurice Harkless is unlikely to receive any rookie-of-the-year votes. Per his recent production, however, Harkless has been one of the most productive rookies in the league.

Prior to his minor knee injury against the Chicago Bulls (via Joshua Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel), Harkless was averaging 17.5 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.1 blocks over the span of his past 10 games.

To put it simply, Harkless has been one of the best players to come out of his draft class. Not only has he been an offensive power, but he's crashing the boards at an extraordinary clip and playing opportunistic defense, too.

Under head coach Jacque Vaughn, Harkless has also improved his defensive base.

Due to the longevity of his recent string of success, we're inclined to believe that Harkless is capable of performing at this level on a consistent basis. For those who doubt that to be true, note this.

Harkless has topped double-digit scoring in 21 of his past 25 games.

Check out the full article for everyone else listed. Another player they mentioned was Eric Bledsode. Maybe Hennigan can make a run at snagging a player he helped choose in the draft? I would rather have him over any of the current PG's in this, he's young, athletic, and fast, fitting into the movement going on here in Orlando.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1594867-young-players-on-pace-for-monster-2013-14-seasons

Vuc shouldn't be on the list, he doesn't have much more room to "explode" next season.

12.7 PPG, 11.8 RPG and 1 BLKPG. While this kid has been terrific, he has potential to put better numbers. I'd like to see about 20PPG, 12.5 RPG and 2.5 BLKPG.

• Upvote 1

12.7 PPG, 11.8 RPG and 1 BLKPG. While this kid has been terrific, he has potential to put better numbers. I'd like to see about 20PPG, 12.5 RPG and 2.5 BLKPG.

15/13/1.5 max.

HEY GUYS LET'S TALK IN ABSOLUTES BECAUSE VUC WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THIS GOOD EARLY EITHER EVEN THOUGH PER 40 NUMBERS SUGGEST OTHERWISE LOLOLOL BUT HEY WE'RE THE EXPERTS AND THE EXPERTS ARE THE ELITE AND SCOUTS IN THE NBA KNOW POOPIE

Vucevic's ceiling isn't as high as some like to think, IMO.

I agree. There's only so much more he can do especially considering as we get better he's going to get less opportunity. I see him capping out at 15-12

in an alternate universe, we run a squad where Harkless is able to play the 2, Tobe plays the 3 and Vucci plays the 4 along with our newly acquired defense only 5 and some young gun PG that we happened to land in the draft as what some will call one the the greatest day draft gems in history.

I think Harkless and Tobias are a given for a possible surge in performance next year after a solid off season. I don't think Vucci will "explode," I would love for him to gain more talent on the defensive end and learn a couple of post moves to help add some more points but other than that, Tobias and Moe are the likely rookies to have an awesome 13-14 season.

Pretty sure Tobias isn't a rookie but I could be wrong. I think Harkless has a ridiculously high ceiling and Tobias can become a very good player in the NBA. Vucevic could be a 16 to 17 PPG guy if he develops some moves on the block.