Sign in to follow this  
Jaguars06

3/14/07 Bianchi article

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Alright, alright, I admit that I'd want to have Dwight on my team more than Randolph by a LONGSHOT. No doubt about it.

Things just haven't turned out the way anyone hoped this season and it feels like the Magic got all their eggs into one basket, of which was promptly run over by a semi truck.

And didn't that "MACK TRUCK" run over everyone of us as well?? The question is, is the lack of leadership, lack of development, placing to much on the 21 year olds systemic or everything else????

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

Alright, alright, I admit that I'd want to have Dwight on my team more than Randolph by a LONGSHOT. No doubt about it.

Things just haven't turned out the way anyone hoped this season and it feels like the Magic got all their eggs into one basket, of which was promptly run over by a semi truck.

And didn't that "MACK TRUCK" run over everyone of us as well?? The question is, is the lack of leadership, lack of development, placing to much on the 21 year olds systemic or everything else????

Good question! None of us can answer that yet.

The Magic attempted to hand the team over to the young guys somewhere in mid-season and it simply hasn't worked out. Whether it be b/c of all the other factors, like Ariza being injured, Darko starting but then not having a legit backup, or coach Hill mucking things up, is just a huge question mark right now.

One has to hope this isn't a systemic failure by the Magic but a failure due to circumstance!

When the heck did the Magic attempt to hand the team over to the young guys?

Grant Hill, Keyon Dooling, Carlos Arroyo & Keith Bogans are still used WAY more than Diener & Redick.

An injury to Tony Battie promted the move to get Darko into the starting lineup and we still don't know if Darko will go back to the bench when Tony is healthy.

Ariza had a DNP-CD his first game back from his knee injury and hasn't played consistent minutes since before his injury.

Coach Hill still constantly puts Garrity & Outlaw in the game during crucial moments whiel Augie is inactive.

So, when exactly did the coches and mangement implement this youth movement that you refer to as failing?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Grant Hill, Keyon Dooling, Carlos Arroyo & Keith Bogans are still used WAY more than Diener & Redick.

An injury to Tony Battie promted the move to get Darko into the starting lineup and we still don't know if Darko will go back to the bench when Tony is healthy.

Ariza had a DNP-CD his first game back from his knee injury and hasn't played consistent minutes since before his injury.

Coach Hill still constantly puts Garrity & Outlaw in the game during crucial moments whiel Augie is inactive.

So, when exactly did the coches and mangement implement this youth movement that you refer to as failing?

Augie, Diener, and Redick - I'm not talking about them. Although I want to see Redick actually get consistent pt...

I'm talking about the "young core" that we ever so desperately didn't want to break up to get Vince Carter - Jameer, Ariza, Darko, and Dwight.

It's pretty freaking obvious that the four of them are NOT going to lead us to the promised land this season or the next... get back to me in 2 or 3 years.

You don't have to give players 46 minutes a game for them to prove themselves.

Jameer is NOT the point guard of our future. His play has regressed this season. He has a lot to learn about the PG position.

Ariza is a nice player but he doesn't have the kind of impact many folks were hoping he'd have on our team. So what if Ariza got a DNP-CD? Do you think he really would have won the game himself? I thought so at the time, I was outraged he got the DNP, but it's obvious that Ariza does NOT have the lift and explosiveness he had before the injury.

Darko has NOT shown he is a solid year-long starter in this league. So what if it took a Battie injury for Darko to start? The dude does NOT have the fire necessary to dominate the paint. He misses so many bunny shots, which is a strong indicator he still does not have the necessary confidence in his own game.

Dwight is good and has played well, with a lot of heart, but he isn't ready to step up and be the leader we need him to be. He isn't a superstar top-10 NBA player yet - he isn't ready to put an entire team on his back and carry them.

This is the youth movement that is failing to get us to the playoffs. We all hoped Ariza would come back and dominate and earn a starting spot. We all hoped Darko would step in and have a 13/16 game every week. We all hoped that Jameer would step up his game when it started getting tight the second half of the season. We all hoped that Dwight would take his game to yet another level when it mattered.

The coaches and management both hoped for all of this. Remember Otis saying that Ariza was just so ultra-important to this team's success? That Darko was ready for the big time? That our guards need to focus more on getting Dwight the ball for the good of the team?

Well none of these hopes have become reality...

quote:

Augie, Diener, and Redick - I'm not talking about them. Although I want to see Redick actually get consistent pt...

I'm talking about the "young core" that we ever so desperately didn't want to break up to get Vince Carter - Jameer, Ariza, Darko, and Dwight.

It's pretty freaking obvious that the four of them are NOT going to lead us to the promised land this season or the next... get back to me in 2 or 3 years.

Jameer is NOT the point guard of our future. His play has regressed this season. He has a lot to learn about the PG position.

Ariza is a nice player but he doesn't have the kind of impact many folks were hoping he'd have on our team. So what if Ariza got a DNP-CD? Do you think he really would have won the game himself? I thought so at the time, I was outraged he got the DNP, but it's obvious that Ariza does NOT have the lift and explosiveness he had before the injury.

Darko has NOT shown he is a solid year-long starter in this league. So what if it took a Battie injury for Darko to start? The dude does NOT have the fire necessary to dominate the paint. He misses so many bunny shots, which is a strong indicator he still does not have the necessary confidence in his own game.

Dwight is good and has played well, with a lot of heart, but he isn't ready to step up and be the leader we need him to be. He isn't a superstar top-10 NBA player yet - he isn't ready to put an entire team on his back and carry them.

This is the youth movement that is failing to get us to the playoffs. We all hoped Ariza would come back and dominate and earn a starting spot. We all hoped Darko would step in and have a 13/16 game every week. We all hoped that Jameer would step up his game when it started getting tight the second half of the season. We all hoped that Dwight would take his game to yet another level when it mattered.

The coaches and management both hoped for all of this. Remember Otis saying that Ariza was just so ultra-important to this team's success?

You put it on the players. I put more of it on the coach. Without decent point guard play or a coherent offensive scheme, these players are not put in a position to succeed, and cannot show what they can do. Darko in particular looks like a fish out of water sometimes; Hill has got him completely confused about what he's supposed to do.

I do agree with you that while Ariza is a nice addition, I don't see him as the key to our success either, and never did.

If Jameer is regressing, as you state and I completely agree, why is that? Could it be coaching? And if there is regressing going on, why should we look forward to 2-3 years from now? I'd only be looking forward if we were showing signs of growing/maturing/improving; but we aren't.

Just to let everyone know, Otis contacted me after practice to have every player's "funny bone" removed. I performed this procedure early this morning using non-invasive laser technology (I disintregated them like a kidney stone). Expect a more intense and somber team tonight, the only odd thing was Darko's funny bone was already missing.

At this point... it's equal blame to everyone associated with the Magic franchise... management, coaches, players... everyone's at equal fault here.

For the record though, this all came about because Brian Hill is insane and started yelling at his players all game every game when we first started losing in January.

If Brian Hill hadn't lost his marbles back then maybe his relationship with his team would be a smite better (UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR).

y emailed

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

The coaches and management both hoped for all of this. Remember Otis saying that Ariza was just so ultra-important to this team's success? That Darko was ready for the big time? That our guards need to focus more on getting Dwight the ball for the good of the team?

I'm still a little puzzled by your reply. A youth movement at the midpoint of the season (as you stated in your previous post) would not include Dwight & Jameer. They were both starters from day one and therefore an adjustment has not occurred that would thrust them into the spotlight anymore than usual.

Ariza, has more regularly played 15-18 minutes than he has 25-30 and hasn't eclipsed 32 minutes playing time yet this season. Therefore I still don't understand how you can perceive Ariza's role changing due to any managerial onus placed upon him.

Darko was limited to 21 minutes per game until Battie was injured. Therefore Darko wasn't thrust into the foray until it was necessitated by injury.

Beleive me, I don't disagree that Jammer & Darko (and even to some degree Dwight) haven't lived up to expectations. Our entire team is underachieveing. However, without Ariza, JJ, Diener & Augie getting significant playing time instead of our senior citizens, I don't understand how any perceived youth movement could have ever failed. I understand that you are only talking about our core of Jammer, Dwigth, Darko and Ariza but 2 out of those four haven't been shown full confidence by management and therefore should be left out of the discussion. And if two out of those four are left out of the conversation along with JJ, Diener, and Augie...than there never has been a youth movement. Brian Hill continues to play Grant, Pat, Bo, etc instead of our prospects.

So, how can you determine that our young players have been utilized and thus failed?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
I look at Zach Randolph on the Blazers and I see a better player than Dwight. A player like Randolph has to overcome his physical limitations by improving his skills.

You mean the Zach Randolph that didn't make it back across midcourt to play defense against us when his shot wasn't falling? If you truly think that I don't know how to help you. Randolph is a more polished offensive player and that is all.

All Zach has on him is the jumpshot. He gets his points because he attempts close to 30 FG's a game. I always believed that Jameer was the leader of this team, but since the late slump, the low assists rate, and the smiles while we're down big, I'm seriously questioning it.