Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Does anyone know what Otis is up to?

Here's what I don't understand about this whole process with Otis.

He says, "I want it all" followed by "you can't do it all in one off season".

He says that, creative financing will allow us to maneuver into a position to significantly improve the squad. What's creative about signing a guy to 120 million contract? Hell, any idiot could do that.

Anyway, I'm still fuming about this. The only way that Otis redeems himself now is to dump a few expiring contracts or trade talent to fill the holes he has created.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Anyway, I'm still fuming about this. The only way that Otis redeems himself now is to dump a few expiring contracts or trade talent to fill the holes he has created.

Yep...and to get Fran over here now.

Originally posted by SmackDaddy

Here's what I don't understand about this whole process with Otis.

He says, "I want it all" followed by "you can't do it all in one off season".

He says that, creative financing will allow us to maneuver into a position to significantly improve the squad. What's creative about signing a guy to 120 million contract? Hell, any idiot could do that.

I agree with you, I don't get it either

I really have not known what to say all day and was hoping that the later the day got the more I might convince myself I like this but I really don't. Like Smack I really thought this was part of some elaborate plan to sign Rashard and keep Darko.

The fan side of me says I really like this team and in a weak Eastern Conference this team could elevate itself to the top tier as long as these expiring contracts can be moved for better assets.

The business side of me says that this deal will handcuff the Magic for the next 6 years to fight with other teams over mid-level players and the veteran minimum to fill the holes. This is a very risky proposition in my opinion.

Also the NBA salary cap only goes up about 3-5% per season while Dwight and Rashard's contracts can escalate at 10.5 percent. While Dwight is well worth it if you combine him with Rashard these contracts will be eating up more and more of the cap as the years go by. My point is how far past the luxury tax are the DeVos family willing to go. I think you had to overpay Rashard to get him here especially after all the back-handed negotiations but he is unmovable already.

I will hold to this hope. SVG was able to get the very best out of Lamar Odom and is credited with making Caron Butler and Dwayne Wade all-stars as well as grooming a non-drafted guy in Udonis Haslem into a serviceable power forward. Can he do the same for Fran, Gortat, or Augustine. Only time will tell.

If not the Magic better hope that they draft really well and their "core" develops at a very high rate.

The other thing that really irritates me the most is the constant spin from the front office. Each General Manager of the Magic the last few years has been left to clean up the other guys mess. I really hope that this is not Otis legacy. The guy whose mess gets cleaned up.

Yea, well caron butler, Lamar odom, Dwane Wade, all give out uber props to Coach SVG.

And really If we keep Jameer, and he progresses all we really need is mid level role players well coached to win championships, the key now is to get the "right" midlevel role players.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

I have a feeling Otis is counting with his big men from the bench to take the slack for Darko. Gortat can do good defensive job and a fair offensive role and Fran may be coming on next year or his options can be traded for new picks or good role players in the future.

I can't believe it has come to this... fans counting on Fran to come from overseas to save the Magic!

I agree 100000% with ATL, this team is way better and i dont feel darko is worth even the MLE. Why waste money on a PF when we can go small all the time?? HELLO!!!! we play in the Eastern Conference. what team has a "big" PF in the East that would be difficult for us to contend with??

quote:
Originally posted by jshann:

I agree 100000% with ATL, this team is way better and i dont feel darko is worth even the MLE. Why waste money on a PF when we can go small all the time?? HELLO!!!! we play in the Eastern Conference. what team has a "big" PF in the East that would be difficult for us to contend with??

To me, that's exactly why we should have resigned Darko. To have the twin towers developing for the next 5 years together, along with Rashard Lewis, its a no-brainer. Dwight and Darko together in the East would have given us a great chance for the next 5-10 years. Now, any team with one good PF or center is going to give us trouble.. ie Toronto, NY, etc. Dwight is going to be great, but he can't do it alone down low.

zach randolph and eddy curry are now offically gonna destroy our front line

i would have considered this off season a great success if we could sign a 2nd tier free agent for decent money, re sign darko and extend dwight

what a sh!!tty summer!!!, what a rubbish contract, what terrible managing

i agree 100% with all of you guys who are not happy about this

i would have been happy for our young guys to grow, learn and peak together...i dont believe this darko wanted 10 mil thing for one second

Zach Randolp and eddy Curry are gonna get destroyed by our front line, they are both two big fat asses, Newyork wont be able to simply double triple and quadruple team Dwight, so they wont have that advantage no more. And if they cant double Dwight then Dwight will have a field day with that front line

eddy curry alone alone went off on us last year with both 265 pound howard and 275 pound milicic banging on him...both got in foul trouble...now yo9u think BATTIE can handle either of those guys or give them anytthing down the other end??...please...the way things stand there in a ton of presure on dwight...not just on offense but with jameer, jj, lewis playing significant minutes...you certainly wouldnt call any of them good defenders...dwights gonna have to make up for quite a few mistakes and keep himself on the court avoiding foul trouble....i'm worried, i hope we add some front court help

quote:
Originally posted by ATL_MagicFan:

I can't wait for all these Otis haters to start eating crow next year. This team is much better than last years team just by adding Lewis. Darko played very little last year and we still went to the playoffs. Trust me folks, we won't miss him. I think everyone is overrating Darko and underrating Lewis.

Forget about Darko, but I cannot imagine that Otis is going to pay 110/127 millions to one above average player and lock the roster for another 6 years? We still haven