Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Smack Confidential 2:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Not sure how you guys missed this, but here is the official report from NBA.com:

With the move, the Magic have relinquished its right of first refusal, but retain the qualifying veteran exception (Bird Rights) and the rights to re-sign him.

Dude, that article only indicates that we removed our qualifying offer. It doesn't say that we renounced Darko yet. These are two different things.

This will prevent Darko from quick-accepting the qualifying offer, which would make it impossible for us to sign Shard outright, since any Darko contract signed right now will count against our free cap space.

If we want to sign Shard outright, which is Otis' current indication he will do barring a S&T with Seattle, then we will furthermore have to renounce Shard, which will then fall into the arguments I have been making.

removig our qualifying offer IS renoucing him. I dont understand how you can read the quote DIRECTLY from NBA front office and assume the opposite.

Like smack said rock chalk got his info DIRECTLY from the NBA front office and clearly states that we lose right of first refusual but still retain bird rights....as i had been saying since this morning. simply ridiculous that we ave been going back and forth over the same issue for 12 hours

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

removig our qualifying offer IS renoucing him. I dont understand how you can read the quote DIRECTLY from NBA front office and assume the opposite.

Like smack said rock chalk got his info DIRECTLY from the NBA front office and clearly states that we lose right of first refusual but still retain bird rights....as i had been saying since this morning. simply ridiculous that we ave been going back and forth over the same issue for 12 hours

-sigh-

Removing our qualifying offer makes Darko an unrestricted free agent. The term "unrestricted" does not mean that he has been renounced.

Rashard is an unrestricted free agent for Seattle, right? But because Seattle has *not* renounced Rashard, they still hold his bird rights exception, which would allow the S&T to go down. Also, Rashard continues to place a cap hold on Seattle's books for 150% of his current salary, according to the CBA FAQ.

By removing our qualifying offer, all we have done is place Darko in the same boat that Rashard is currently sitting in as an unrestricted free agent. For now, Darko continues to have that massive $16mil cap hold on us, but we also hold onto his bird rights and any other applicable player exceptions.

Le's address everyone's questions all at once so I don't waste too much valuable time before bed.

1) Removing a qualifying offer is the same exact thing as renouncing a player. It's just worded differently.

2) If Darko decides to turn down our offer (even if it is a sign and trade) he will be forfeiting 2.5 million total dollars during the life of a 5 year contract. Our Bird rights define our ability to provide an unrestricted free agent of OURS with a 10.5% annual pay increase while signing with another team would only provide an 8% annual pay increase.

3) You think the statement that came directly from the league office is wrong??? Well, I'm the one that should be apologizing. There is no way that you will ever believe any information that is provided here. Therefore I am apologizing for wasting my entire day reading the freaking rules fron to back and providing you guys with an explanation, that while it doesn't jive with your gut feeling, is indeed factual and accurate.

quote:

ok ok ok belive whatever you want i simply cant argue over this anymore. i need a aspirin

As you shall also believe what you want =) I don't think anyone gains / loses anything from being right or wrong on this, heh.

I duno if you caught it, but I apologized to you and Nathan in a reply up above somewhere... didn't mean to come down so hard on you guys the first time around. Sorry bro!

quote:

Le's address everyone's questions all at once so I don't waste too much valuable time before bed.

1) Removing a qualifying offer is the same exact thing as renouncing a player. It's just worded differently.

2) If Darko decides to turn down our offer (even if it is a sign and trade) he will be forfeiting 2.5 million total dollars during the life of a 5 year contract. Our Bird rights define our ability to provide an unrestricted free agent of OURS with a 10.5% annual pay increase while signing with another team would only provide an 8% annual pay increase.

3) You think the statement that came directly from the league office is wrong??? Well, I'm the one that should be apologizing. There is no way that you will ever believe any information that is provided here. Therefore I am apologizing for wasting my entire day reading the freaking rules fron to back and providing you guys with an explanation, that while it doesn't jive with your gut feeling, is indeed factual and accurate.

ive been trying to say this all day bro...If their not going to belive the NBA front office their not gonig to belive anything we say.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:

ok ok ok belive whatever you want i simply cant argue over this anymore. i need a aspirin

As you shall also believe what you want =) I don't think anyone gains / loses anything from being right or wrong on this, heh.

I duno if you caught it, but I apologized to you and Nathan in a reply up above somewhere... didn't mean to come down so hard on you guys the first time around. Sorry bro!

its straight bro...its good to know magic fans are as enthusiastic as me about the well eing of our team...jsut mean theres a good fan base ut their for our otown magic and that can ONLY be a good thing

quote:

Smack, they are two different things. The league sources ARE correct - but you are mislead to believe that removing a qualifying offer is the same thing as renouncing a free agent. They are not the same.

Removing a qualifying offer turns the free agent into an unrestricted free agent. Unrestricted free agents continue to hold onto various salary cap exceptions, but they also have a hold against their current team's salary cap.

To remove this hold, a team must renounce the free agent. In doing so, that team also loses any player salary cap exceptions they have for that player, such as bird rights.

quote:

I'm afraid we're fighting a losing battle. It's a losing battle because the opposition doesn't even know what they're fighting for. The eqivalent of brainwashed carbombers.

A war without a purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:

-sigh-

Removing our qualifying offer makes Darko an unrestricted free agent. The term "unrestricted" does not mean that he has been renounced.

Rashard is an unrestricted free agent for Seattle, right? But because Seattle has *not* renounced Rashard, they still hold his bird rights exception, which would allow the S&T to go down. Also, Rashard continues to place a cap hold on Seattle's books for 150% of his current salary, according to the CBA FAQ.

By removing our qualifying offer, all we have done is place Darko in the same boat that Rashard is currently sitting in as an unrestricted free agent. For now, Darko continues to have that massive $16mil cap hold on us, but we also hold onto his bird rights and any other applicable player exceptions.

ok now this makes sense. seems like otis just wanted to make sure Darko didn't accept the qualifying offer if we didn't pony up the 10 mil. this must be what pissed of his agent so much. so darko still has a massive cap hold meaning that we still can't sign rashard. not much has changed since this morning. we still need a S&T.

You can be sure that Otis and his legal aids have cleared anything they are doing with the NBA office. Sometimes contracts can be ambiguous and the NBA has the authority to clarify and resolve such issues quickly.