Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

I quite like Kevin McCullar Jr as a pick outside the lottery. Wish there was a way to be sure that his 38% from 3 this year is real versus his first 3 years in college because this team really doesn't need to add any more non shooters. But if you believe in the jumper it's hard to not look at a 6'6 grown man who plays good defense and can pass and think "sure I can throw this guy on the wing in an NBA game for 20 minutes"

For us specifically I like the switch-ability on defense and an underrated thing but he's a good post entry passer which is a nice ancillary skill to have around Paolo.

New Jonathan Wasserman BR mock has some insane movements of guys climbing 10+ spots. I'm sure NBA teams have more solid rankings but the media rankings are shifting wildly every week. Here's some shocking picks:

Matas Buzelis at #1

Tidjane Salaun at #12 

Terrance Shannon at #14

Yves Missi at #18

Tristan Da Silva at #22

I was thinking all those (non Buzelis) guys might be on the board for us. Terrence Shannon in the lottery is kind of wild, he's a solid NBA wing bet but he'll be 24 before he plays an NBA game. 

22 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I like Shannon a lot, since I’m an Illini fan. He is a very good defender and can shoot, I don’t give a dam about his age, his height and length is probably an issue with Weltman. 

oh btw where is Anthony Parker?? 

For us, in this draft, I don't care too much about his age either, but lottery picks aren't often 24 which is why Im surprised Wasserman has him in the lottery. That's all I was saying.

You've liked every Illinois prospect I can remember so not sure you're the most impartial observer but Shannon is 6'6 with what appears to be a plus wingspan. That's solid positional size for a 2/3. Can't imagine Weltman would have an issue with that. 

Though I'm not even sure Shannon is the best 5th year wing in this class, personally I like Kevin McCullar Jr more, he's slightly bigger, a better rebounder, a better passer and almost a full year younger. 

9 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I still like Ayo btw. Didn’t think Shannon was that tall. If he is he’d be nice. Don’t recall liking anybody from last years class from Illinois. You didn’t see me calling for Mayer, so I have some discretion lol. 

You were pretty big on Kofi Cockburn if memory serves. He's in (I had to Google this) Korea now.

But yeah you were right about Ayo he's a legit NBA player drafted too low. 

96.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Reed Sheppard | PG/SG | Kentucky

6-2 | Age: 19.4 | Previously ranked: NR gn-arrow.png

Sheppard has been a revelation for Kentucky this season, turning in several strong showings and forcing his way into the draft conversation. While his more touted teammates have largely struggled, Sheppard has been a constant with his perimeter shooting, energy, poise and excellent decision-making. Sheppard doesn't have a great physical profile for an NBA guard and wasn't expected to challenge for one-and-done status -- and it might ultimately benefit him in the long term to spend multiple seasons in college -- but he has stepped up when sorely needed, which has been hard to ignore considering the context. It's not hard to see him finding his way into an NBA role, but he's also not the type of guard in which teams traditionally invest high-end draft capital. -- Woo

He’s a legacy kid …Mom and Dad both played for UK …high high intelligence player …Dad was Jeff Sheppard won a ring playing for Pitino I think …KID IS SHOOTING 57 % FROM THREE …creates off the dribble …athletic …the whole ball of wax …you see where Givony has him on the prospect list …might be right around where we are picking 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

You were pretty big on Kofi Cockburn if memory serves. He's in (I had to Google this) Korea now.

But yeah you were right about Ayo he's a legit NBA player drafted too low. 

Kofi would have been great in the shaq era or earlier. Sadly the game has changed, and not for the better imo. 

19 hours ago, ball junkie said:

96.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Reed Sheppard | PG/SG | Kentucky

6-2 | Age: 19.4 | Previously ranked: NR gn-arrow.png

Sheppard has been a revelation for Kentucky this season, turning in several strong showings and forcing his way into the draft conversation. While his more touted teammates have largely struggled, Sheppard has been a constant with his perimeter shooting, energy, poise and excellent decision-making. Sheppard doesn't have a great physical profile for an NBA guard and wasn't expected to challenge for one-and-done status -- and it might ultimately benefit him in the long term to spend multiple seasons in college -- but he has stepped up when sorely needed, which has been hard to ignore considering the context. It's not hard to see him finding his way into an NBA role, but he's also not the type of guard in which teams traditionally invest high-end draft capital. -- Woo

He’s a legacy kid …Mom and Dad both played for UK …high high intelligence player …Dad was Jeff Sheppard won a ring playing for Pitino I think …KID IS SHOOTING 57 % FROM THREE …creates off the dribble …athletic …the whole ball of wax …you see where Givony has him on the prospect list …might be right around where we are picking 

He’s great! probably my favorite prospect out of Kentucky this season!

Terrence Shannon Jr. was suspended from all Illinois basketball activities, the university announced Thursday afternoon. The Douglas County (Kan.) district attorney issued a warrant for Shannon’s arrest Wednesday. Per policy, the Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics suspended Shannon from all team activities, effective immediately. Shannon has been charged with rape, as defined under applicable Kansas law

No need to follow Shannon anymore.. 

7 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Terrence Shannon Jr. was suspended from all Illinois basketball activities, the university announced Thursday afternoon. The Douglas County (Kan.) district attorney issued a warrant for Shannon’s arrest Wednesday. Per policy, the Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics suspended Shannon from all team activities, effective immediately. Shannon has been charged with rape, as defined under applicable Kansas law

No need to follow Shannon anymore.. 

I'm begging sports men to just not be scumbags. It's such a low bar to clear.