Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

28 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not sure I see what you see with Almansa, I like his offense a lot more than I like his defense at present. 

I also don't think Klintman is a 5 at all really. 

I'm not really worrying too much about what position we target anyway, outside the lottery in this draft I'd just be trying to find someone who could be a rotation player whatever position they play. 

Honestly, we might just trade the pick. It's not like we have much opportunity for minutes on this team for a rookie anyway.

I agree with that.. Both aren’t centers. But they are physically and good defenders to be PF/C hybrid.. kind of like Isaac. 

But like you said. It’s not my number one option.. 
my first option would be to combine our pick with the Denver pick and Harris, Okeke and maybe J. Howard and add a significant piece.

just went through a draft to get a feel who is eligible for us.. 

Heres a list of backup centers we could target. 

- Aaron Bradshaw (could fall because of injury)

- Donovan Clingan

- Zvonimir Ivisic 

- Kaleel Ware

That’s my order for backup center.. Although i believe the Magic value versatility, that’s why i wouldn’t rule out the guys i mentioned before.. 

Either way, i still don’t understand why we didn’t draft Lively 

Having a good team makes the draft a lot more difficult because you're thinking more about what we already have and how guys fit into that versus just best talent.

I love Ryan Dunn. Seems unlikely to me he doesn't stick in the league because his defense is just so so good but he's basically a none entity on offense at the moment outside of dunks and that's tough to swallow on a team that's already elite defensively but needs shooting. 

Then again if the guy you pick is going to be an end of the bench type year 1 anyway maybe you just double down on your identity and add shooting in free agency and trades. 

Just the 21 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assist, 3 steals and a block (8/13 FG, 5/9 3P) for Reed Sheppard in a win for Kentucky over #8 ranked Miami. 

It's a shame he'll end up being a lottery pick.

EDIT: that last line is hyperbole I have no idea where he'll end up, he's shooting like 65% from 3 at the moment that's not sustainable but I'm a big fan of his game. He doesn't feel like a Magic draft pick given he's only 6'3 and isn't a superb athlete so my cope will hopefully be that he's off the board before we pass on him. 

The Magic may have picked the perfect draft to get good. This draft is kind of messy. 

ESPN have released a fresh mock today and it isn't pretty.

Half of the Freshman that made up the lottery pre-season have slid. The lottery is constantly in flux and half the guys in it are mostly there based on pre-season hype and "potential" versus any actual basketball results this season.

Oso Ighodaro, who I do think is an interesting prospect to be fair but I was thinking as a late first to second round guy, is in the top 20. 

I've a feeling it'll adjust as we get closer to draft time, Givony is usually slow to adjust his rankings and the cream tends to rise to the top of drafts but my favourite prospects are mostly outside of the current lottery.

Hey I'm a new bandwagon Magic fan, guess they're in 2nd place so that makes me a fairweather fan but I kinda feel like the Magic dont really get much respect even though their good (and fun to watch)

1st post on the forum. I'm also a bigtime college basketball fan, a bigger college fan than NBA tbh but I'm just one of those draftwatching types and theres quite a bit to unpack these days with the rise of the G-League and the OTE and so many international leagues are better than ever.  Even if the Magic have a very low 1st rd pick I do think they can land an interesting player.

so hopefully i dont need to get too many posts approved by mods before i can post freely.

the depth chart looks so deep if you ask me, here in orlando, its a daunting task to even try and figure which positions/needs are likely to be addressed.. but thats a good problem to have..

Dalton Knecht has been the JUCO x-fer whos caught my eye the most early in the season, he almost seems good enough to go in the 1st rd though no ones projecting him there yet.. he's like Grayson Allen but 2" taller..   they lost vs UNC but he dropped 37 points and looked great.

also I'm a fan of Trevon Brazile at Arkansas he woulda got drafted last year if not for injury, he's back and shooting 44% from 3, they just had a huge upset win over Duke where he outplayed Filipkowski whos commonly projected in the teens --- for the Magic to land him in the late 1st, that'd be great value cuz he s a phenomenal athlete with long arms and a shotblocker..

I'm also a big Caleb Foster believer and he's terribly disrespected everywhere I look on mocks right now... and I'd sure take him on this Magic team to be developed.. 6'5 cg with a deft touch.. he's not built to be a bigtime defender or finish around the rim at the NBA level but the kid can shoot the lights out plus he's got all these floaters so he can score in the paint without getting to the rim no problem

Obviously you guys have Wendell Carter here, whos family made a bit of a stink after he left Duke talking about how they recruited Carter to be the man, then they recruited marvin bagley and told him the same thing... a too many chefs spoiling the stew situation...

I wonder - is the backlog in Dukes backcourt creating a toxic situation for Caleb Foster this season? cuz that team should be better..

Duke lost to Arkansas WITHOUT Tramon Mark... and Mark is worth a post here all by himself, but  Arkansas upset Duke without their leading scorer/best perimeter defender.

1 hour ago, smd_swagswag said:

Hey I'm a new bandwagon Magic fan, guess they're in 2nd place so that makes me a fairweather fan but I kinda feel like the Magic dont really get much respect even though their good (and fun to watch)

1st post on the forum. I'm also a bigtime college basketball fan, a bigger college fan than NBA tbh but I'm just one of those draftwatching types and theres quite a bit to unpack these days with the rise of the G-League and the OTE and so many international leagues are better than ever.  Even if the Magic have a very low 1st rd pick I do think they can land an interesting player.

so hopefully i dont need to get too many posts approved by mods before i can post freely.

the depth chart looks so deep if you ask me, here in orlando, its a daunting task to even try and figure which positions/needs are likely to be addressed.. but thats a good problem to have..

Dalton Knecht has been the JUCO x-fer whos caught my eye the most early in the season, he almost seems good enough to go in the 1st rd though no ones projecting him there yet.. he's like Grayson Allen but 2" taller..   they lost vs UNC but he dropped 37 points and looked great.

also I'm a fan of Trevon Brazile at Arkansas he woulda got drafted last year if not for injury, he's back and shooting 44% from 3, they just had a huge upset win over Duke where he outplayed Filipkowski whos commonly projected in the teens --- for the Magic to land him in the late 1st, that'd be great value cuz he s a phenomenal athlete with long arms and a shotblocker..

Welcome aboard! Our system requires the first 10 posts to be approved. Great posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smd_swagswag said:

Welcome! I like Brazile a lot too. Jumper looking great so far this season. 

this freshman Baye Ndongo, whos listed at 6'9 and 214lbs on Georgia Tech from Senegal IS DETONATING ALL OVER FILIPKOWSKI what in the world is happening.... Absolutely fantastic showing tho my goodness

I guarantee you if this kid keeps playing like this he'll get hyped up quickly...  He's earned a spot on my watchlist... Down goes Duke --- Its preposterous Scheyer is keeping TJ Power buried on the bench when the team is shooting so poorly from 3..

Once I get to 10 posts I'm just gonna drop a mock here, and I'll keep that updated.

Ole Miss improved to 7-0 yesterday with a close victory over Memphis... I sure like Ole Miss's starting lineup, plus Moussa Cisse just got cleared by the NCAA a week or 2 ago so he'll get better quickly for them, NBA level frame and athelete of a shotblocker who needs to polish the rest of his game...  they have 7'4" Jamarion Sharpe at C so they are actually quite the spectacle., plus Auburn x-fer Allen Flanigan has had several 30pt outbursts and hes really an NBA level defender so a player to watch too..

Senior 6'4 Matthew Murrell is unquestionably my favorite player on Ole Miss though -- I think hes pretty damn good and has been projected near the bototm of the 2nd rd since last season..

He can jump and he's got a very solid build he's been 200lbs for some time.. He's also a pretty good shooter..

anyways 7/12, 6/7 from 3, 6 rebs, 5ast, 3stl 1blk

If he keeps playing like this he'll gain traction quickly..

Ay since this is a florida based forum... Lots of the draft watchers have become very high on Carlton "Bub" Carrington at Pittsburgh, and he's mostly played great whenever I've seen him..

Bub will probably be late int he 1st in my mock i do soon. I've seen some mocks who have him in the lottery already even top5.

But I thought Walter Clayton Jr. 6'2 JUCO x-fer at Florida thoroughly outplayed him in their matchup... Clayton is a former bigtime football recruit, he's quite physical and throws his weight around like a football player on the court... Clayton also has a pure looking jumpshot, and I think he's fun to watch. competitive kid..

Thought this was noteworthy ---- Riley Kugel has mostly been underwhelming for UF so far, from what I've seen... but I like this kid Clayton Jr., hes fearless.