Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

I think Bub goes top 20 in this class if he were to declare. This will be one of the oldest draft classes, due to the Covid year, and he's the youngest prospect in this class (doesn't turn 19 until after the draft). Plus, he finish the year pretty strong, shot over 40% from 3 over the past month and rebounds the ball very well for his size.

Just off his potential alone, and the way he stuff the stat sheet in his freshman year, I think he's a lock to go top 20 in this class. 

34 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

I think Bub goes top 20 in this class if he were to declare. This will be one of the oldest draft classes, due to the Covid year, and he's the youngest prospect in this class (doesn't turn 19 until after the draft). Plus, he finish the year pretty strong, shot over 40% from 3 over the past month and rebounds the ball very well for his size.

Just off his potential alone, and the way he stuff the stat sheet in his freshman year, I think he's a lock to go top 20 in this class. 

ESPN/Givony and Woo have him at #25 in their best available and #33 in their most recent mock. 

Wasserman at Bleacher report didn't even have him in the Top 60 in his latest mock. 

He wasn't in Sam Vecinie's top 30 in his latest mock either.

He doesn't appear on Kevin O Connors big board last updated 03/11. That's a top 50.

Regardless of my personal opinions on the validity of those people's draft boards all of them are plugged in to scouting circles and talking to people about prospects. They don't get accurate mocks by properly judging prospects they do it by talking to people about who teams like and don't like. 

Given all that it seems highly unlikely Carrington was a first round pick this year. 

With a good year next year though he can be a lottery pick. The difference in guaranteed money between a 2nd round pick and a lottery pick is substantial. And his potential loss of earnings this year is bridged by the fact he'll likely make a decent amount in NIL.

25 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

ESPN/Givony and Woo have him at #25 in their best available and #33 in their most recent mock. 

Wasserman at Bleacher report didn't even have him in the Top 60 in his latest mock. 

He wasn't in Sam Vecinie's top 30 in his latest mock either.

He doesn't appear on Kevin O Connors big board last updated 03/11. That's a top 50.

Regardless of my personal opinions on the validity of those people's draft boards all of them are plugged in to scouting circles and talking to people about prospects. They don't get accurate mocks by properly judging prospects they do it by talking to people about who teams like and don't like. 

Given all that it seems highly unlikely Carrington was a first round pick this year. 

With a good year next year though he can be a lottery pick. The difference in guaranteed money between a 2nd round pick and a lottery pick is substantial. And his potential loss of earnings this year is bridged by the fact he'll likely make a decent amount in NIL.

that’s a different talking point.. i’ve said if he’d have a first round promise, he’d be ill advised not to take that opportunity. 

It would be a bad decision to do such a thing, just to bet on yourself to make the lottery. 

50 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

that’s a different talking point.. i’ve said if he’d have a first round promise, he’d be ill advised not to take that opportunity. 

It would be a bad decision to do such a thing, just to bet on yourself to make the lottery. 

What exactly is a different talking point? Because my point all along was he's probably not a first round guy so it's a good decision.

Wasserman has him going 26th in his latest mock, and had him going 29th in his previous mock. He's been one of the hottest prospects in college the past month, along with Devin Carter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10112187-2024-nba-mock-draft-full-2-round-projections-and-pro-comparisons

26. Washington Wizards (via Clippers): Carlton Carrington

26 OF 58

PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA - MARCH 5: Carlton Carrington #7 of the Pittsburgh Panthers dribbles against Jamir Watkins #2 of the Florida State Seminoles in the first half during the game at Petersen Events Center on March 5, 2024 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin Berl/Getty Images)
Justin Berl/Getty Images

Previous mock draft spot: No. 29

School/team: Pittsburgh

Position: PG/SG

Size: 6'5", 190 lbs

Nationality: American

Pro comparison: Nickeil Alexander-Walker

One of the more interesting names teams will monitor during the predraft process, Carlton Carrington has divided scouts with his shotmaking, playmaking production and some athletic and statistical red flags. He finished the regular season averaging 1.9 threes, 5.2 boards and 4.2 assists, impressive production for a 6'5", 18-year-old point guard in the ACC. But he also shot 47.7 percent on layups, made just 23 half-court field goals at the rim and recorded 17 steals in 31 games. Scouts are drawn to his positional size, pull-up game and live-dribble passing, but they're torn by his lack of rim pressure, heavy reliance on jumpers and scary defensive playmaking rate.

Two veteran NBA scouts told HoopsHype they’d select Carrington in the first round of this year’s draft.

“Carrington has been able to score the ball and is going to be a very good NBA player,” one of the NBA scouts told HoopsHype.”He reminds me of a younger and healthier Caris LeVert when he was coming out of Michigan. He should be as high as the lottery, in my opinion. He can score at all three levels and play some point guard. It’s not his natural position, but he can do it.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-aggregate-mock-draft-zac-risacher-nikola-topic-cody-williams-reed-sheppard-rising

His size, age and ability to score at all three levels will have teams willing to take a chance on him in the 1st round. More than likely top 20.

"ability to score at all three levels" lol that is not at all Carlton Carrington unless we're not counting the rim as one of the three levels. 

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

Wasserman has him going 26th in his latest mock, and had him going 29th in

My bad, ctrl+F didn't work for some reason. Still 26th is very much "fringe first round".

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

"ability to score at all three levels" lol that is not at all Carlton Carrington unless we're not counting the rim as one of the three levels. 

I mean, from what I seen he's been a three level scorer. The kid was getting anywhere he wanted to on the court. I mean he's 18 and his body isn't fully develop yet, but he attacks the rim pretty well for his size. Plus, you add in his play making and his potential to be a plus defender, I can't see him getting out of the top 20. He has one of the highest upside outside of the top 10-12 prospect in this class, and one of the hottest prospects, too. Teams are going to be intrigued by his size, age and potential that they'll be more willing to bank on his upside, rather than taking a guy that's 22 or 23 years old.

43 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

I mean, from what I seen he's been a three level scorer. The kid was getting anywhere he wanted to on the court. I mean he's 18 and his body isn't fully develop yet, but he attacks the rim pretty well for his size. Plus, you add in his play making and his potential to be a plus defender, I can't see him getting out of the top 20. He has one of the highest upside outside of the top 10-12 prospect in this class, and one of the hottest prospects, too. Teams are going to be intrigued by his size, age and potential that they'll be more willing to bank on his upside, rather than taking a guy that's 22 or 23 years old.

He's attempted a shot at the rim less than 2 times a game this season. And he finishes at a sub par rate. Those are verifiable facts. 

For anyone watching the tournament I might post here recommending interesting prospect games if I think of any. 

Only 1 game tonight really from a prospect stand point:

Virginia Vs Colorado State

Virginia have Ryan Dunn, an athletic, defensive forward who's projected first round. And Reece Beekman their PG is more of a fringe prospect on account of being a senior guard who's not a good shooter but he's a great college player and might get drafted.

Colorado State have Nique Clifford who I think is a bit of a sleeper prospect, think he could end up being a first round guy depending on how he performs in the tournament and private workouts. Kind of a do it all wing.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:29 PM, CTMagicUK said:

For anyone watching the tournament I might post here recommending interesting prospect games if I think of any. 

Only 1 game tonight really from a prospect stand point:

Virginia Vs Colorado State

Virginia have Ryan Dunn, an athletic, defensive forward who's projected first round. And Reece Beekman their PG is more of a fringe prospect on account of being a senior guard who's not a good shooter but he's a great college player and might get drafted.

Colorado State have Nique Clifford who I think is a bit of a sleeper prospect, think he could end up being a first round guy depending on how he performs in the tournament and private workouts. Kind of a do it all wing.

https://youtu.be/A7mSvuckG_0?si=0h2GBBZg4a0GKl6j

Maybe I'm crazy but 6'6, thick frame, can shoot it, put the ball on the floor, good passer, great rebounder for his size. Nique Clifford is a first round pick to me, he's not the most explosive athlete, he's 22 already and he benefits in college by being stronger than guys but he just looks like an NBA player and that's what I'm trying to get picking in the 20s.