Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Justin Edwards with a possible breakout game.. Would be awesome if he fell to us in the draft and we’d bet on his potential and win.. Still like Ivisic too!

I wonder how much John Hammonds thinking is still resonant in the front office. He always seemed to be the main driving force behind "long bois" stuff if you think of his track record having drafted Joe Alexander,  Larry Sanders, John Henson, Giannis, Thon Maker in Milwaukee and then here we picked Isaac, Bamba and Okeke in 3 successive drafts.

Then once we started rebuilding we seemed to go away from that somewhat Cole (pre-rebuild pick technically), Franz, Suggs, Paolo, Houstan, AB all represent not necessarily moving away from "long bois" but an evolution of the idea from "giant humans doing crazy things" to "above average positional size with real skill" (I know Cole doesn't really fit this, I have a lot of thoughts about how he could fit into the philosophy from a more theoretical standpoint that didn't really pan out but CBA to get into it here). 

Anyway I didn't intend to get into an essay length post on draft philosophy or anything which this is threatening to be, I actually only bring it up because Ulrich Chomoche is a very John Hammond type pick. 6'11 18 year old Cameroonian big who's flashed a lot of potential in limited visibility but who is obviously very raw. 

CT, we did pick up Bol Bol and he sounds a lot like Ulrich. But they have digressed from long is everything to a more of a,  long but has some muscle to support it and can play. Cole was a more of potentiality aspect, but he had limited time in college due to injury. He can ball, but team concepts are lost on this dude. 

On 2/26/2024 at 7:45 PM, fan for too long 2 said:

CT, we did pick up Bol Bol and he sounds a lot like Ulrich. But they have digressed from long is everything to a more of a,  long but has some muscle to support it and can play. Cole was a more of potentiality aspect, but he had limited time in college due to injury. He can ball, but team concepts are lost on this dude. 

For me Cole was a "plays bigger than he is" gamble. Big rebounder for a guard, quite vertically athletic. I think the hope was that that stuff projected someone who could hang defensively against guys bigger than him with some development. Hasn't really worked out like that but I think it was a fine gamble and a solid enough pick in a vacuum. 

There are two things I don't really think this team should do (nor do I think they will do them) this draft and they are: 

Trade into the lottery

Draft another PG

That being said... If we traded up to draft Reed Sheppard I wouldn't be mad. Dude is so good. I get there are real size/athleticism concerns but he's so so skilled and so smart for a 19 year old and he has really good steal/block rates where you think he might be able to figure out how to stay on the floor defensively. And I think sometimes we fail to project skilled/smart guys getting even more skilled and even smarter as they get older. I learned that lesson with Tyrese Haliburton.

Dalton Knecht just dropped 39 points against one of the best defensive teams in college ball. 

That's the guy we should probably trade up for if we could. Dude is a killer. 

30 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Dalton Knecht just dropped 39 points against one of the best defensive teams in college ball. 

That's the guy we should probably trade up for if we could. Dude is a killer. 

absolute KILLER

Disclaimer being that Knecht is bad on defense and is 23 so like... Is there room for improvement defensively or is that just who he is? And if that's just who he is is he more of a 6th man type scorer or even bench shooter?

He apparently knows his defense is his weakness and wants to work at it but he's kind of a layup line at times...

(This is me coming down from the initial reaction to watching him score 39 and thinking more critically)

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Disclaimer being that Knecht is bad on defense and is 23 so like... Is there room for improvement defensively or is that just who he is? And if that's just who he is is he more of a 6th man type scorer or even bench shooter?

He apparently knows his defense is his weakness and wants to work at it but he's kind of a layup line at times...

(This is me coming down from the initial reaction to watching him score 39 and thinking more critically)

I compare the situation of Knecht to Jaquez. I looked Jaquez, even as a rookie. Wanted him in the second round couple of years back.. 

I went back and forth and ultimately decided because of physical limitations and defensive concerns that i’d pass! 

Huge regret on my part and lesson learned. kinda like US media treated Doncic.. 

Knecht can ball out. He has all the fundamentals that a lot of players don’t have in the NBA. Look at Okeke. I’ve been looking for years for him to develop some of those fundamentals. He’d be a stud. 

I come to the conclusion that these fundamentals come naturally and can’t be teached. They can be perfected nd you work on them, but the movement, body control, creativity is natural imo.. 

Therefore, if Knecht is the best player available, we have to take him 

17 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

I compare the situation of Knecht to Jaquez. I looked Jaquez, even as a rookie. Wanted him in the second round couple of years back.. 

I went back and forth and ultimately decided because of physical limitations and defensive concerns that i’d pass! 

Huge regret on my part and lesson learned. kinda like US media treated Doncic.. 

Knecht can ball out. He has all the fundamentals that a lot of players don’t have in the NBA. Look at Okeke. I’ve been looking for years for him to develop some of those fundamentals. He’d be a stud. 

I come to the conclusion that these fundamentals come naturally and can’t be teached. They can be perfected nd you work on them, but the movement, body control, creativity is natural imo.. 

Therefore, if Knecht is the best player available, we have to take him 

But Jaquez was never a bad defensive player in college. He was 2 times Pac 12 all defensive team. 

Random thought, by the time the Olympics after this coming one rolls around France might have enough talent to take on the US. They're getting at least 1 guy drafted a year lately but last year there was:

Wemby, Coulibaly, Rayan Rupert, Cidy Sissoko

And then this year there's: 

Risacher, Sarr, Salaun, Ajinca, Dadiet

There are also three (at a quick glance) French players in ESPNs first 2025 mock: 

Nolan Traore, Noa Essengue and Zacharrie Perrin