Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

1. Anfernee Simons, Portland Trail Blazers

2. Quentin Grimes, New York Knicks

3. Malcolm Brogdon, Portland Trail Blazers

Of all the kinda, sorta feasible fake trades out there, Simons to Orlando is a personal favorite.

The Magic need more offensive punch to pair with their sixth-rankeddefense, and he'd be an awesome source to provide it, as his skill set covers everything from pull-up triples to rim-rockers. And at 24, he's the right age to grow alongside Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner.

Simons also may not be available, so there's that. The Blazers still see him as a "key building block," per Action Network's Matt Moore, so perhaps this is nothing more than wishful thinking. Then again, Portland also has Shaedon Sharpe and Scoot Henderson locked into its long-term plans, so Simons doesn't feel totally untouchable.

Otherwise, Orlando should be scouring for scoring and spacing. Grimes and Brogdon check both boxes, though the former gets the nod for being younger and not having the same injury concerns as the latter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10106204-every-nba-teams-top-3-trade-deadline-targets

26 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Junkie, Fultz is not guarded at the 3 point line, either. One is shooting 35% from three this year (AB), while the other is shooting 0% from three this year (Kelle). One actually can hit shots from three, while the other literally can't/won't. (Both have awful form). I'm not sure there is another starting PG in the league like Kelle that is shooting 0% from three. Just let that stat sink in. And for the record, I love Kelle's handle and passing, but I'd trade Kelle and/or AB and picks to upgrade that spot.

Soul …I’m assuming you didn’t read my post right before this one where I alluded to Fultz not being guarded at the 3 point line …1 is shooting 35 percent …AB …on 1 attempt per game lol …also, Fultz has only played in 12 games this season …8 just recently …he’s working his way back to form and I’m not giving up on him if you are that’s fine …context my friend lol …let that sink in haha 

I think Kelle would make a great backup point guard, if he could stay healthy. In the modern NBA, where shooting and spacing are critical, here are Kelle's three point percentages by year:

• Year 1 - 0%
  • Year 2 - 28%
  • Year 3 - 26%
  • Year 4 - 25%
  • Year 5 - 23%
  • Year 6 - 31%
  • Year 7 - 0%

For the Magic, it has been far too long since we had a legit, starting, floor spacing, point guard. I'm not sure what the fanbase would even do if we added one.

• Upvote 2

I agree Soul, I would parade naked down church street if we got a competent shooting PG. but I have no worries about that, why? Magic. 

I also would move AB if it would bring in one of those type players. I really don’t see his ceiling being any higher than Shaun Livingston. But more than likely MCW without his rookie year. Yikes. 

• Upvote 1

In all fairness Soul …Fultz isn’t the only one 

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/team/_/table/offensive/sort/threePointPct/dir/desc

We have sunk to new lows …even I didn’t realize it was this bad now …team wise dead last in the league shooting the three …34.2 percent …OUCH !

Its gonna take a lot more than a good shooting PG to fix this teams 3 point shooting woes ….feel free to blame whomever for this deficiency 

• Upvote 1

While we're at it Anthony Black is also a better shooter as a rookie than MCW or Shaun Livingston ever were. 

EDIT: Add Elfrid Payton to that list too if you want.

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

The Magic dropped a new video on you tube. It’s 2 hours and 45 minutes long and it is every basket that Fultz has made for the Magic. Interesting timing. Advertising? 

They also did it with Cole, who's poison pilled and not likely to be traded, so I wouldn't be so hopeful.

8 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I think Kelle would make a great backup point guard, if he could stay healthy. In the modern NBA, where shooting and spacing are critical, here are Kelle's three point percentages by year:

• Year 1 - 0%
  • Year 2 - 28%
  • Year 3 - 26%
  • Year 4 - 25%
  • Year 5 - 23%
  • Year 6 - 31%
  • Year 7 - 0%

For the Magic, it has been far too long since we had a legit, starting, floor spacing, point guard. I'm not sure what the fanbase would even do if we added one.

You're right but percentage is only half the story honestly.

The willingness to actually take a shot is more important than percentage. The difference between someone who takes 5 3s a game and shoots 33% versus 39% is 0.9 points. Less than a point a game. 

Shooters shoot, regardless of percentage. Terrence Ross had multiple seasons shooting sub 35% from 3 but did teams ever not close out on him? Did teams ever not chase him around screens?  (This incidentally is why we shouldn't be too worried about Franz' percentage this season)

Markelle's just refusal to shoot is what hurts him, and this team's spacing, more than anything. Teams might close out on a bad or spotty shooter if he's hit one already but nobody closes out on a guy they know isn't going to shoot at all. Markelle is dead last in attempts per 100 possessions on the team. Goga Bitadze attempts more 3s than him, not even just this season but for his career. That's mental. 

Jonathan Isaac is shooting 28% from 3 on the year. Isaac has attempted 3s 14 times more frequently than Markelle this season. How many times have you heard a single Magic fan complain about Isaac's shooting this season? I can't remember one. He takes open shots in the flow of the offense and that's what guys need to do. 28% at that volume is far from ideal, but a Jonathan Isaac 3 is still statistically a better shot than a Paolo midrange jumper (the Isaac 3 is 0.84 points per possession, Paolo at present shoots 41% from 10-16 feet which equates to 0.82 points per possession).

Fultz has played 8 games since his return … when he’s ready he’ll shoot 3’s …but he’s this seasons scapegoat …this entire team sucks shooting 3’s …worst in the league …but it’s all Marquells fault for that …this team as presently constructed deserves a chance to compete together in the playoffs …nobody except me mentions the outstanding numbers the original starting group has….well, Jay and myself .

Please carry on with your Fultz criticism and your trade scenarios …will be interesting to see if Weltham agrees with you all 

Love kelle pre recent injury. His jumpshot is money and very explosive in open court. His on ball defense is also off the chart. Hope he gets back to that form. 
Isaac’s defense is otherworldly. He just have to play often

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

In all fairness Soul …Fultz isn’t the only one 

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/team/_/table/offensive/sort/threePointPct/dir/desc

We have sunk to new lows …even I didn’t realize it was this bad now …team wise dead last in the league shooting the three …34.2 percent …OUCH !

Its gonna take a lot more than a good shooting PG to fix this teams 3 point shooting woes ….feel free to blame whomever for this deficiency 

I totally agree with you here!