Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, $40 mill a year for 4 more years is a tough pill to swallow. I was fiddling with the trade machine and something like Fultz, Harris, Chuma would work salary-wise and we’d undoubtedly have to throw in picks on top of that. Appeal to the Bulls would be all 3 of those guys they’d get back from us are expiring

I went to the trade machine also and came up with the exact same trade. I’d give them this years pick and Denver’s probably. Lavine is bad defensively also. I wonder if him and Suggs could man the backcourt?  Paolo, Franz, Suggs and Lavine could all bring the ball up. Maybe we wouldn’t need a traditional PG?

It’s not my favorite trade but not bad either. 

I've also looked at Lavine in the trade machine I just don't think we have enough without offering a prospect of some kind. 

Plus I'm not sure Im super excited to pay a guy with 4 career playoff games $180 million dollars over the next 4 years. Especially a guy who wants the ball in his hands and isn't a positive defensive player. 

• Upvote 1

After last night's game I might be on the way to changing my mind. This team is desperate for someone who can get a perimeter bucket in the 4th when defenses wall up on Paolo and Franz. 

(This is not a serious post)

A consistent pick and pop threat who can also be trusted to finish on the roll and make smart passing decisions in the short roll would be great for this team's offense. 

The Bulls have got a guy who might become available name of Vucevic, wonder what they'd want for him? 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

(This is not a serious post)

A consistent pick and pop threat who can also be trusted to finish on the roll and make smart passing decisions in the short roll would be great for this team's offense. 

The Bulls have got a guy who might become available name of Vucevic, wonder what they'd want for him? 

Wendell Carter Jr and Franz Wagner

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

After last night's game I might be on the way to changing my mind. This team is desperate for someone who can get a perimeter bucket in the 4th when defenses wall up on Paolo and Franz. 

Yes. Lavine’s salary is crazy and his knee has bad history but his offense can be crazy. He could be our best SG since T-Mac at getting those off the dribble shots and highlight plays.

I also wouldn’t mind overpaying for Andrew Nembhard. Dude needs his own team

14 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I also wouldn’t mind overpaying for Andrew Nembhard. Dude needs his own team

I've been racking my brain for bench guards who might be starters in another context and didn't find any good ones but Nembhard is a good shout. Was a fan of his in the draft. Just a solid guard. 

So just for kicks I wrote down all of the guys that have started 3 point percentages.

Franz 32.8

Markelle 0

Black 38.5

Paolo 38.7

Carter Jr 31.3

Suggs 34.1

Goga 0

So Goga and Markelle haven’t hit a 3 pointer all year.  Black and Paolo are the only ones above average from three so far.  Paolo is leading the team in 3 point percentage after last night.  I do think that Franz will start hitting his three again soon.  This really show that we need some shooting though.  Last night was better for three quarters but still……yikes.

More perspective I want to share. Paolo is now shooting 40% from three. That’s better than both Hedo and Rashard Lewis shot for their career. Two of the best shooters in Magic history.  

Now I don’t think he will stay there for his career. But it shows he’s not some awful shooter like several members here said over the summer.  If he is average he will be a super star with all the rest he brings. 

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

More perspective I want to share. Paolo is now shooting 40% from three. That’s better than both Hedo and Rashard Lewis shot for their career. Two of the best shooters in Magic history.  

Now I don’t think he will stay there for his career. But it shows he’s not some awful shooter like several members here said over the summer.  If he is average he will be a super star with all the rest he brings. 

This is an incredibly simplistic way to look at it.

Good 3P% doesn't equal good shooter. PJ Tucker has a better career 3P% than Luka Doncic. Who would you rather leave open?

Rashard Lewis if he was open he was shooting it. At his peak he was taking 10 3s per 100 possessions, and that was in a much different league with less emphasis on offensive spacing. (Would still be in the top 20%ish of the league in 23-24)

Paolo is open on the perimeter a lot and doesn't shoot it and he takes less than 5 3s per 100 possessions. If you don't shoot it when you're being sagged off of then why should the defense close out? And if the defense doesn't close out that means they're inside the arc clogging driving lanes for you and for others. 

If Paolo is consistent with taking jumpers when open he'll be fine even if he drops into the mid 30%s range.