Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

6. Orlando Magic

Ausar Thompson
Overtime Elite
PG/SG

Thompson's range appears a tad wider than that of his twin brother, beginning here and likely ending with the Magic's pick at No. 11, with Orlando, Washington and Utah viewed by rival teams as the most probable landing spots. The Magic have explored moving around in the draft, but will have a difficult choice to make if they stay put, particularly if the Rockets and Pistons opt to pass on Whitmore and send him down into the next part of the lottery. Thompson's perimeter defense, passing ability and potential for on-ball creation make him a cleaner fit on paper than Whitmore, with a more viable pathway to develop into the type of big, two-way guard Orlando's roster needs. Anthony Black, who brings a similar but more pass-first skillset, is also in the mix here. -- Woo

11. Orlando Magic (via Chicago)

Gradey Dick
Kansas
SG/SF

Drafting at No. 6 and No. 11 has given the Magic a chance to look at virtually every lottery prospect outside of the top three, with the exception of Bufkin. This is assumed to be the floor for Black, who is believed to be in consideration for the Magic's No. 6 pick. Provided the Magic don't select Whitmore at No. 6 (a possibility), picking Dick at No. 11 is a move that many rival teams anticipate due to the floor spacing he could provide as arguably the best shooter in the draft. Lively is said to be another option here after a strong workout in Orlando. Another likely candidate is Bilal Coulibaly, who's been one of the hottest names going into this week. -- Givony

Givony updating every day now …if we take Black at 6 smh

I like this notion of getting an uber-athlete and an uber-shooter, but it's been mocked so many times that I feel like it won't happen haha.

Trading for Scoot would make me happy but I think other teams have more enticing packages (Zion / Ingram)

46 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If I had to have a guess at what I think we'll do I'd guess:

#6 Taylor Hendricks

#11 Kobe Bufkin

#36 traded

I’d like that. Bufkin is interesting, as his ability to be crafty to create space is superb. Both are also hustlers on defense.

13 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’d like that.

It's not my what I'd say is my "favourite" draft (more so with Hendricks at 6 to be honest, I love Bufkin at 11) but honestly, I've come to realise that there are very few drafts we could realistically have that I'd be actually disappointed by. 

Soul’s latest…

I still want us to swing for Scoot.

I also like Miller, Whitmire, Hendricks, Wallace, Bufkin, Dick and Coulibaly.

I’ll support anyone we draft. Lol. Go Magic!

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

I’ve cooled a lot on Hendricks and Whitmore.

I'm with you.

I've, somewhat reluctantly, got Whitmore at 6 on my board because he's an awesome athlete who got to the rim a bunch and can shoot. But his lack of feel is kind of unsettling to me and if I were to be more subjective with my rankings he'd probably be lower because I prefer high feel guys. 

Hendricks as well I think is more of a guy I'd be happy picking at 11 than 6 (I have him and Jarace Walker at joint 9/10), just don't believe he's got a load of star upside but it's clear he's got a solid path to be an impactful starter.

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Whitmore would be a wrecking ball as a sixth man to begin his career, imho.

Well at least he’s built like a wrecking ball. Lol. Give me Hendricks, Gradey, or Hawkins. Any two of those and I’ll be happy. 

Don't pay too much attention to this post, just trying to escape from work, but wouldn't it be fun to draft Gradey and trade the other pick for Jabari Smith Jr?

We'd have the possibility of having a massive (in size) lineup with shooting at all 5 spots.

Franz, Gradey, Jabari, Paolo, Wendell