CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Great stuff from Seth Davis and anonymous scouts in the Athletic today:

”For all the speculation as to who will be selected with the No. 1 pick, there was no debate among my scouts. Every single one said they would take Jabari Smith, and all but one said they would take Chet Holmgren second. So much for draft night suspense...

Jabari Smith, 6-10 freshman forward, Auburn. “If Orlando doesn’t take him, they’re stupid. Best upside of anyone in this draft. He’s not even close to being developed yet. From everything I’ve heard, he’s probably the best blend in this draft of character and skill set. When he wasn’t making shots he still defended his ass off. His weakness would be his shot-blocking and rebounding. He likes to float on the perimeter. He’s not as bouncy as some people would like to think. He moves his feet great defensively. He’s a super competitive player. He took his pregame stuff really seriously. He’s in a full sweat all the time. A professional mindset. He’s gotta become a better ballhandler. The only question would be if maybe he ends up being like Rudy Gay, who averaged 20 points in his career and never really won much….

Chet Holmgren, 7-1 freshman forward, Gonzaga. “He could potentially change the game. The concern is the body, obviously, but he’s got toughness to him. You can elbow him and he’s coming back at you. He does literally everything. He can shoot, can pass, handles well for his size. He’ll get a lot of clean looks from three because he’ll be guarded by fours and fives. He’ll shoot in the pick-and-pop and get a lot of trail 3s. There haven’t been a lot of guys that look like him physically, so you worry about his durability. Tiny hips, tiny shoulders, so I don’t know how much his body will fill out. Guys never seem to get a clean hit on him. He shot 73 percent from 2 and 39 percent from 3. What he does defensively is unprecedented. He’s an unbelievable weak side shot blocker…

Jaden Ivey, 6-4 sophomore guard, Purdue. “Best athlete in the draft. He has an explosiveness like Russell Westbrook or John Wall. He’s gonna be able to get downhill at will. He was able to bail himself out at the college level, although I’m not sure that works up here. He puts so much pressure on the defense with his speed. He’s not a great shooter, but he’s improved. People want to know if he can be a full-time point guard because he played a lot off the ball. The one concern would be lack of ball skills. He’s not a point guard, but man, he’s so athletic. Those guys succeed. He’ll be a better NBA player than college player.”

https://theathletic.com/3365902/2022/06/20/nba-draft-2022-anonymous-scouting-report/?amp=1

Soul you left this out …

Shaedon Sharpe, 6-6 freshman guard, Kentucky. “He’s a risk. If you watched his pro day, you’d think he was top three. He didn’t miss, and he took some tough shots. I love his size, I love his athleticism. He’s a great kid with high character. I wonder if he’s too nice. He’s an elite athlete and really good shooter. Those usually make for good NBA players. He and Jaden Ivey are the two best athletes in the draft. Somebody will pick him high because he was the No. 1 player in his class. You can look at the history of those guys, and very few of them have failed. If you’re a GM who’s not worried about getting fired, he’s worth the gamble.”

Shams Charania of The Athletic:

Sharpe is a projected high lottery pick, and sources say he has conducted strong group workouts such as three-on-three scrimmages to showcase his ability for teams who have not seen him play organized basketball over the past year or two. Instead of conducting individual workouts, Sharpe sought the competition, working out for teams between the draft ranges of Nos. 1-13.

I think, with Weltmans talk about how many young players can we have, if we can't trade up with 32 and 35 we might use at least one of those on a stash. I'd imagine Garbeile Procida would be an option there. 6'7 Italian wing, can shoot it. Think he could be a good player with another year or two in Europe. 

Latest SI Jeremy Woo mock has us:

1. Jabari

32. Caleb Houstan

35. Peyton Watson

Basically going all in on long, 5 star high school recruit, 3/4s. Very weird. (Individually i wouldn't be that surprised if we picked either of Houstan or Watson but together it's weird especially after the #1 pick playing the same position).

3 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Kevin O’Connor from the ringer just dropped a podcast with 2 Magic fans talking exclusively about our pick. His podcast is called The Mismatch

Link MP please.. ? Hope you are good and well brother

Kevin Clark saying both "I think most character stuff is junk science" and then "we need an alpha" in like the exact same sentence is hilarious. 

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Kevin O’Connor from the ringer just dropped a podcast with 2 Magic fans talking exclusively about our pick. His podcast is called The Mismatch

Was good fun. Was light on any real analysis especially with neither guest being full time NBA analysts (I'm not super high on KOC as an analyst either if I'm honest) but it was nice to hear some of the things Magic fans talk about in spaces like this discussed on a wider podcast.  

I don't always agree with Kevin Clarks Magic opinions (remember when he said we should trade for Westbrook? Oooph) but that dude is a true homer like all of us and I love it. 

• Like 1

Just some advice if you see any media availability for top prospects and think you should watch it... Don't. Here's what 90% of the Chet one was:

"Have you worked out for X team"

"I'm not going to comment on that or discuss what meetings or workouts I've had with anybody" 

"Well what do you think about X team"

*Generic answer with generic praise* 

Maybe some prospects will be wild and actually reveal stuff but the questions asked sucked and they warranted the generic answers they got. 

EDIT: I should note somebody asked him how he thought he'd fit on the Thunder roster and he gave a pretty good answer which made me feel like he'd been thinking about it and he might think he's going there.

• Upvote 1

We're playing Houston, OKC and Sac in summer league so I can't wait for the absolutely wild takes that will happen around then the moment our top pick makes a bad play or one of the other top picks dominates us. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Was good fun. Was light on any real analysis especially with neither guest being full time NBA analysts (I'm not super high on KOC as an analyst either if I'm honest) but it was nice to hear some of the things Magic fans talk about in spaces like this discussed on a wider podcast.  

I don't always agree with Kevin Clarks Magic opinions (remember when he said we should trade for Westbrook? Oooph) but that dude is a true homer like all of us and I love it. 

They really know some things that you can only know by watching the team over and over again. Like Bamba being so damn underwhelming. He sure gets some decent stats, but his impact on the game is close to nil

• Upvote 1