CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, South_Aussie_Magic said:

The Jonathon Givony mock draft on ESPN has us taking JT Thor with our 2nd rounder. Couple people here were high on him before right?

Yea I think he's a first rounder now. Just an unreal combination of length and athleticism with a jumper that's looking pretty good. 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I think he's a first rounder now. Just an unreal combination of length and athleticism with a jumper that's looking pretty good. 

The kind of late 1st/ early 2nd pick to love, but not the kind of experiment it feels like we're going to be making up top too :(

We haven't talked enough about Moses Moody since the draft. 

Weltman and Hammond will take one look at this photo and promise him on the spot lol

I think he's very much in the conversation at either 5 or 8. 

3 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

The kind of late 1st/ early 2nd pick to love, but not the kind of experiment it feels like we're going to be making up top too :(

It's tough anyway with Chuma and Isaac to envision us investing more draft capital in a PF (another reason why I'm low on Kuminga because I think he might be a PF in the league) but Thor is basically the ideal Weltman/Hammond prospect.

4 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

This whole 8-20 range seems ultra fluid

It is. And its basically 6-20. There's no real consensus who the 6th guy is if the 5th guy is Kuminga. It looks like it might end up being Scottie Barnes but there's a long way to go until the draft. 

I like it. As much as it'd be more exciting and generally better if we got #1 and Cade there's been much more discussion on here because of the uncertainty of #5. 

4 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Keon Johnson with a 48” vertical - that’s the kind of athletic measurement that makes people take a guy in the top 4

He almost certainly tanked the Standing Reach measurement to get this. But it's a smart play from his agent because that gets a lot more attention than great but not record breaking vert and 3 more inches of standing vert.

Sam Vecinie mock has us going:

5. Kuminga

8. GIDDEY

33. Josh Christopher

I would be happy with this draft all things considered. Though there are guys on the board at 33 I'd rather have instead of Christopher.

Listening to Hollinger podcast and he's pushing Scottie Barnes to Toronto. 

Im not actually super excited about Jalen Suggs he was a distant 4th to me but if he fell to us at 5 I'm taking him 100%.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Listening to Hollinger podcast and he's pushing Scottie Barnes to Toronto. 

Im not actually super excited about Jalen Suggs he was a distant 4th to me but if he fell to us at 5 I'm taking him 100%.

Given where we ended up, I would be ecstatic with this outcome.  I think Suggs is a significant upgrade over Kuminga, so him falling to us would be a major win.

Question for you since you follow this more closely than me: what exactly makes Kuminga a better prospect than Barnes to begin with? Maybe he's not since lots of mocks have then 5 & 6.  I see two big wings with severe offensive limitations but great defensive tools.  At the moment, Barnes is the better defender.  Kumingas offensive ceiling seems quite a bit higher, so perhaps that's the main future differentiator?