Soul Bro

2020-2021 General Game Thread

7 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Since 1998 only 5 players picked # 1 overall have won an NBA title. LeBron James, Andrew Bogut, Dwight Howard, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis.... Kyrie, Dwight, AD all road LeBron there, Bogut road Steph, Klay and Draymond there

Very good point!

46 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Steph Curry says "Hello". 

2009-2010 - Warrior's record was 36-46 - third in the Pacific Division. There were no superstars on that team. Steph averaged 17.5 points a game. He is now averaging 30.0 pts. per game.

2015 NBA Finals Champions (Golden State Warriors)

"For the first time in 40 years, the Golden State Warriors are NBA Champions. In a fitting end to a spectacular, record-breaking season, the Warriors defeated the Cavs 105-97 in Game 6 on Tuesday night to win the NBA Finals 4-2."

Golden State Warrior's Roster 2009-2010

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date   Exp College
4 Jeff Adrien PF 6-7 245 February 10, 1986 us R UConn
19 Lou Amundson PF 6-9 220 December 7, 1982 us 4 UNLV
34 Charlie Bell SG 6-3 200 March 12, 1979 us 6 Michigan State
15 Andris Biedriņš C 6-11 240 April 2, 1986 lv 6  
25 Rodney Carney SF 6-7 205 April 15, 1984 us 4 Memphis
30 Stephen Curry PG 6-3 185 March 14, 1988 us 1 Davidson
8 Monta Ellis SG 6-3 185 October 26, 1985 us 5  
50 Dan Gadzuric C 6-11 240 February 2, 1978 nl 8 UCLA
2 Acie Law PG 6-3 195 January 25, 1985 us 3 Texas A&M
10 David Lee PF 6-9 245 April 29, 1983 us 5 Florida
7 Jeremy Lin PG 6-3 200 August 23, 1988 us R Harvard University
77 Vladimir Radmanović PF 6-10 227 November 19, 1980 ba 9  
23 Al Thornton PF 6-8 220 December 7, 1983 us 3 Florida State
20 Ekpe Udoh C 6-10 245 May 20, 1987 us R Michigan, Baylor
55 Reggie Williams SF 6-6 205 September 14, 1986 us 1 Virginia Military Institute
32 Brandan Wright PF 6-10 210 October 5, 1987 us 2 UNC
1 Dorell Wright SF 6-9 205 December 2, 1985 us 6

Good post. As a response, who do you believe could be that transcendent star on our roster? Steph had incredible percentages even as a rookie but he didn’t start getting the volume of shots he now has until they shipped out Ellis. In my opinion, Fultz and Isaac have flashed but both are now shelved for the entire season with serious injuries. 

16 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Since 1998 only 5 players picked # 1 overall have won an NBA title. LeBron James, Andrew Bogut, Dwight Howard, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis.... Kyrie, Dwight, AD all road LeBron there, Bogut road Steph, Klay and Draymond there

What if we expanded that list to top 3?

17 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

This is correct but for one small problem. Our Steph was Oladipo who by his second season averaged 17 points a game and had a nice stroke. Our management didn't want him because he wasn't a point guard, simple as that and Evan was cheaper. 

The difference is, Steph is on the same team since being drafted by the Warriors. This is Oladipo's 4th team, playing alongside John Wall. Oklahoma's record this season is 11-18. So, adding 2 elite stars to the team has not made a difference. (Note: I know Oladipo has been plagued with injuries but so has Steph, and he is still with the same team, putting up big numbers.

If not for the injuries to Steph, Klay, and Draymond last year, the Warriors would have still been in the hunt for the NBA finals.

17 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I truly don’t know the answer! Haha!

2020 - Edwards, Wiseman, La. Ball

2019 - Williamson, Morant, Barrett

2018 - Ayton, Bagley, Doncic

2017 - Fultz, Lo. Ball, Tatum

2016 - Simmons, Ingram, J. Brown

2015 - Towns, Russell, J. Okafor

2014 - Wiggins, J. Parker, Embiid

2013 - Bennett, Oladipo, O. Porter

2012 - A. Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal

2011 - Irving, D. Williams, Kanter

2010 - Wall, E. Turner, Favors

2009 - Griffin, Thabeet, Harden

2008 - Rose, M. Beasley, Mayo

2007 - Oden, Durant, Horford

2006 - Bargnani, Aldridge, Morrison

2005 - Bogut, M. Williams, D. Williams

2004 - Howard, E. Okafor, B. Gordon

2003 - James, Milicic, Anthony

2002 - Ming, J. Williams, Dunleavy

2001 - K. Brown, Chandler, P. Gasol

2000 - Martin, Swift, Miles

1999 - Brand, Francis, B.Davis

1998 - Olowakandi, Bibby, LaFrentz

So, off the top of my head extending it to the top 3 only adds two more title winners (unless I’m forgetting about guys who chased championships on the bench). Top 3 draft picks who’ve won a title since 98 are LeBron, AD, Dwight, Kyrie, Bogut, KD and Pau.

LeBron and KD are the only 2 that led their team to a title, I’d listen to an argument about Pau, but he doesn’t win without Kobe, who was picked 13th

23 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Wait... This is a bit misleading. The question should be how many of the championship teams since 1998 included a #1 pick on their roster? The answer is 13 of the teams... or 59% of the teams.

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Good post. As a response, who do you believe could be that transcendent star on our roster? Steph had incredible percentages even as a rookie but he didn’t start getting the volume of shots he now has until they shipped out Ellis. In my opinion, Fultz and Isaac have flashed but both are now shelved for the entire season with serious injuries. 

To borrow from your reply to a post by All Eyes On Me. . ."I really don't know the answer!"   ;0

But honestly, I watched some of the Warriors games in 2009-2012, but I focused on the team as a whole, I didn't just focus on Steph and his stats. I had know clue that he would turn into a breakout superstar. So, this is the point I've been trying to make. We do have a couple of players on the Magic that have that potential--diamond in the rough qualities that could turn them into our superstar or elite player if we don't give up on them like we did with Dipo. (and I'm not talking about Fournier ...hahaha!) 

3 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Wait... This is a bit misleading. The question should be how many of the championship teams since 1998 included a #1 pick on their roster? The answer is 13 of the teams... or 59% of the teams.

But how many players make that up? Duncan, Shaq, LeBron? So it’s about being bad at the right time, not just being bad

8 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If we add in top 3 picks, the number goes to 16... 68%. 

4 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

But how many players make that up? Duncan, Shaq, LeBron? So it’s about being bad at the right time, not just being bad

Sure but the point is to truly contend we need a transcendent star. I’m not watching much college ball but all of the draft pundits say this year is loaded. Thus, my deep desire to trade Vooch and aim for the moon.