Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Raptors - Monday, Oct. 28th at 7:30 P.M.

20 minutes ago, Tough Break There said:

Lewis,

I’m just not seeing (and haven’t really ever seen) what Bamba turns into. He doesn’t have the quickness and that doesn’t get better as he gets older. 

I’m sure you have the advanced stats, but just watching, I don’t think we rebound better with him. He doesn’t do more then get generic balls and the occasional put back. I rarely see him win 50 50 balls. That’s really the opposite of what you’d expect from a young big. 

He has lateral quickness to defend a bit on the perimeter which allows us to vary our defensive coverages. We saw that a bunch in the first few preseason games when we were blitzing screens. He can catch lobs. He can rim protect. He has a really nice shooting stroke. He just needs reps

He's not a good rebounder. We just happen to rebound better when he's in the game so his rebounding doesn't hurt us. 

19 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Bamba’s ceiling is a unicorn that shoots threes, runs the floor, protects the rim and can be relatively elite defending smaller players as a big man. I don’t think he gets to some elite level, but I think a Clint Capela that can shoot ok from 3 is within the range of outcomes.

Bamba athletically is one of the best combine testers since Gobert. Right now, I think it’s mental quickness rather than physical quickness. You hope for the proverbial “slowing down of the game” that comes with game reps. His issues is with timing his blocks and lapses in defensive positioning. I do think those are fixable with coaching and a large amount of reps.

Oh. Yeah. There's no way he's going to be an elite defender ever (like Dwight where we could play him with poor defenders and still have a great defense). 

The hope is Bamba can have an elite impact eventually by playing behind other elite defenders while being a unique offensive player. 

33 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Shouldn’t the argument be that Birch is better than Bamba? If they’re equal, then why the hell would you play Birch when Bamba is younger and has drastically better potential than Birch? 

Birch averages 4.5 points and 4 rebounds a game in 13.3 minutes a game over his career.

Bamba, through three games, averages 4.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in 13.7 minutes. He’s in our best defensive lineups. In three games where Bamba has been arguably at his worst, he’s still drawing even with Birch.

If you extend it to include Bamba’s rookie season’s averages, he has a stat line of roughly 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1 block a game.

I understand being frustrated by Bamba, but putting in Birch wouldn’t change anything that isn’t completely marginal. Right now, Birch is at best equal to Bamba, and at worst marginally worse than Bamba. Switching them out would hurt Bamba’s development with no significant uptick in production 

Birch is better than Bamba 

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

Sending him to the GLeague for a month or two and giving him some reps isn't going to hurt his trade value any more than his current play is. Not to mention we're not moving him anytime soon.

"Hey we'd like to trade our 1st rd center that we sent to the G-League because well he just isn't any good for your established wing scorer. What do ya say??"

4 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

"Hey we'd like to trade our 1st rd center that we sent to the G-League because well he just isn't any good for your established wing scorer. What do ya say??"

It's not even about that. 

He's not Bruno Caboclo. He knows how to play basketball. He's great in summer league. He's great in preseason. He needs NBA game reps to improve. 

23 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

If you can show me data that shows that Birch presents a significant upgrade over Bamba, I’m open to it

You'd have to define significant, but our record over the last third of the season is my evidence and the eye test that his energy is contagious, because you could see how it fired up this squad.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Who said anything about trading him other than you?

7 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

It's not even about that. 

He's not Bruno Caboclo. He knows how to play basketball. He's great in summer league. He's great in preseason. He needs NBA game reps to improve. 

I guess I just feel like its sort of at the expense of the team right now. I know he needs reps but he's also coming off an injury. Let him get his reps in GLeague for the short-term and give Birch some burn in the meantime.  

5 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Who said anything about trading him other than you?

It was mentioned a few pages back. My intial post that you responded to said for those who want to trade him or bench him. Sitting him for Birch does the same thing to his value as sending him to the G-League.

8 minutes ago, magicblue said:

I guess I just feel like its sort of at the expense of the team right now. I know he needs reps but he's also coming off an injury. Let him get his reps in GLeague for the short-term and give Birch some burn in the meantime.  

How is it at the expense of the team when we've won all of the minutes in every game that he's played?