The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Here's what ESPN says about the Eastern Conference playoff odds. 

Eastern Conference Projections

TEAM WIN-
LOSS
PLAY-
OFFS
NBA
TITLE

det.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  DET 42-40 96.4% <0.1%
orl.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  ORL 40-42 78.0% <0.1%
bkn.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  BKN 40-42 76.4% <0.1%
mia.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  MIA 40-42 46.8% <0.1%
cha.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  CHA 37-45 2.5% 0.0%

32 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Here's what ESPN says about the Eastern Conference playoff odds. 

Eastern Conference Projections

TEAM WIN-
LOSS
PLAY-
OFFS
NBA
TITLE

det.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  DET 42-40 96.4% <0.1%
orl.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  ORL 40-42 78.0% <0.1%
bkn.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  BKN 40-42 76.4% <0.1%
mia.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  MIA 40-42 46.8% <0.1%
cha.png?w=16&h=16&transparent=true  CHA 37-45 2.5% 0.0%

I hope so

17 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the best version of this team looks like. 

It can't be too far off from what we are now. But Isaac is shooting 40% on threes the last 24 games and shot 26% from three over his first 48 games. How much better are we if he shot 35% instead of 26% for the better part of the season?

At the same time we're still flawed and at least a magnitude worse than Toronto. 

So are we basically Indiana? I think we're probably better than Indiana but worse than Boston or Philly. 

Or maybe we're right where we should be and if we played this season 1000 times with today's roster we'd still end up in the same general realm of where we are today with Isaac winning a few games we lost this year and Ross' streakiness coming at less fortunate times. 

Are our losses against Cleveland, Memphis, Washington signs of flaws being hidden by coaching? Or are they momentary lapses that are excusable in the greater context of these long winning streaks?

Because San Antonio is a well coached veteran team with limited talent but differs from us in that they have end of game closers and San Antonio still loses to Chicago in the middle of a long winning streak and has a down month when they lose 7 of 8 including back to back games against the Knicks and Brooklyn and San Antonio can't seem to figure out Charlotte. 

So are our flaws just the tarnish of a third tier NBA team that's ceiling is in the mid 40s?

If we were less flawed where Vuc did his stuff on offense and wasn't a target on defense and we had a legitimate end of game closer would we be a 50+ win team?

Are we that close to being something (though also that far away because our missing piece is the most difficult player to obtain)?

I love the reflections and and think the closest I can see is "So are we basically Indiana? I think we're probably better than Indiana but worse than Boston or Philly".  What I see and why I see the future is bright is our  great core of young players growing together.  We still need that star game closer you mention.  Perhaps Fultz and/or Isaac become that player or we get that person in FA in a year or two.  The potential I see is our young players (Bamba/Isaac/Gordon/even Iwundu) who are athletic and can defend and even can shoot (Gordon being the worst) which should get better.  Obviously Fultz is the wild card who, if he can play like the #1 drafted player of two years ago woulkd make us much much closer to Philly and Boston.  In Bamba, we may have the only center in the east who has the potential to control Embiid.  Even Briscoe was impressive before his injury.  And who knows what Frazier will bring to the table and whoever we draft this year.  What I like is we see a team that can compete (after 6 looong years) and should get better as our young players improve and, at some point (a year or two away), we will have the money and can be a player in pursuing top flight FA's rather than accepting crumbs.

Knicks started Mudiay, Dotson, Knox, Kornet, Robinson in their last game.  This should really put the "random white guys excel against Isaac" phenomenon to the test assuming he checks Kornet.

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I love the reflections and and think the closest I can see is "So are we basically Indiana? I think we're probably better than Indiana but worse than Boston or Philly".  What I see and why I see the future is bright is our  great core of young players growing together.  We still need that star game closer you mention.  Perhaps Fultz and/or Isaac become that player or we get that person in FA in a year or two.  The potential I see is our young players (Bamba/Isaac/Gordon/even Iwundu) who are athletic and can defend and even can shoot (Gordon being the worst) which should get better.  Obviously Fultz is the wild card who, if he can play like the #1 drafted player of two years ago woulkd make us much much closer to Philly and Boston.  In Bamba, we may have the only center in the east who has the potential to control Embiid.  Even Briscoe was impressive before his injury.  And who knows what Frazier will bring to the table and whoever we draft this year.  What I like is we see a team that can compete (after 6 looong years) and should get better as our young players improve and, at some point (a year or two away), we will have the money and can be a player in pursuing top flight FA's rather than accepting crumbs.

Yeah. Fultz is the hope. 

It's really nice that we have these meaningful games to answer these questions. That one Miami game told is so much about Isaac

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Knicks started Mudiay, Dotson, Knox, Kornet, Robinson in their last game.  This should really put the "random white guys excel against Isaac" phenomenon to the test assuming he checks Kornet.

Hezonja revenge game

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Hezonja revenge game

Oh god, that's not something I've prepared myself for.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Hezonja revenge game

This should be our revenge game for when the Knicks beat us two weeks ago.  Hope we study how to control Mudiay.  Last time we played he looked like he could have scored 60.

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Mitchell Robinson is gonna tear us a new one. But we neeeeed this W

There better be a focus amongst the staff on reiterating to the players that Mitchell is going to go after everything.  Gotta use pump fakes, hesitations, etc to get him to bite and put him in foul trouble.

I'm not really worried about Robinson. He'll do his stuff. Whatever. 

We lost because our bench was outscored 75-7. We outscored them by 18 with Augustin in for the first 3 quarters. 

Robinson can get 20. Mudiay can get 29. We'll probably be fine. 

We won't be fine if Robinson gets 20, mudiay gets 29, and Dotson, Knox, hezonja, Kornet combine for 60.