magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

His PER36 suggests he actually isn’t though. Still just 22.

The same people that are comfortably giving AG 130 million aren’t comfortable giving Exum 36? Strange. 

Overpaying a starting 4 who can defend 5 positions and reliably give you 16ppg isn't the same thing as overpaying a guy who averaged 50% more turnovers than assists in the playoffs. 

Teams never regret big contracts for potentially good but not great players. Teams always regret paying mid level contracts for production you can find near the minimum. 

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Overpaying a starting 4 who can defend 5 positions and reliably give you 16ppg isn't the same thing as overpaying a guy who averaged 50% more turnovers than assists in the playoffs. 

Teams never regret big contracts for potentially good but not great players. Teams always regret paying mid level contracts for production you can find near the minimum. 

AG’s defense is totally overrated on here. Nice, he averages 16 a game on a bad team taking bad shots. It’s just not that impressive to me. I think Clifford will be good for getting AG back on track on offense and defense but he isn’t this lockdown shutdown defender you and most people make him out to be on here. Not saying he can’t be. Maybe It was just ****ty coaching. We’ll see. 

Theres obvious risks with Exum. But if his late push last season was a sign of things to come rather an outlier id roll the dice. He’s still incredibly young and has been hurt most of his career. 

Look at New Orleans. What's the worse contract? 5 for 104 for jrue holiday? A guy who is not a to point guard but still in that tier where he can start and finish playoff games and make a considerable impact. 

Or 4 for 48 for Solomon Hill?

20 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

His PER36 suggests he actually isn’t though. Still just 22.

The same people that are comfortably giving AG 130 million aren’t comfortable giving Exum 36? Strange. 

I'm not one of those people but AG is a much better player potentially.

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

I'm not one of those people but AG is a much better player potentially.

Yea he is and that’s why he’ll be making 80 million more dollars than Exum. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Look at New Orleans. What's the worse contract? 5 for 104 for jrue holiday? A guy who is not a to point guard but still in that tier where he can start and finish playoff games and make a considerable impact. 

Or 4 for 48 for Solomon Hill?

It’s only worth it if you think Exum can work himself into being a starter. If he can it’s sctually a steal if you get him for 4years around 36. 

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

AG’s defense is totally overrated on here. Nice, he averages 16 a game on a bad team taking bad shots. It’s just not that impressive to me. I think Clifford will be good for getting AG back on track on offense and defense but he isn’t this lockdown shutdown defender you and most people make him out to be on here. Not saying he can’t be. Maybe It was just ****ty coaching. We’ll see. 

Theres obvious risks with Exum. But if his late push last season was a sign of things to come rather an outlier id roll the dice. He’s still incredibly young and has been hurt most of his career. 

You keep saying his defense was overrated but have nothing to back it up. He was statistically the best post defender in the NBA last year.

He locked up:

Blake Griffin 9 points on 40% shooting

Ben Simmons 2 points in 47 possessions

Bradley Beal 4 points on 25% shooting

Jabari 5 points on 33% shooting

Kemba 5 points on 20% shooting

Chris Paul 0 points in only 12 possessions

You underrate our players. Did the same thing with oladipo

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You keep saying his defense was overrated but have nothing to back it up. He was statistically the best post defender in the NBA last year.

He locked up:

Blake Griffin 9 points on 40% shooting

Ben Simmons 2 points in 47 possessions

Bradley Beal 4 points on 25% shooting

Jabari 5 points on 33% shooting

Kemba 5 points on 20% shooting

Chris Paul 0 points in only 12 possessions

You underrate our players. Did the same thing with oladipo

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season

108th. 

Yep, but I’m the one underrating our player. Like I said earlier, it’s you overrating them. Sure you can find some stat that AG is elite at but that doesn’t round him out to be an elite defender. Look at that list. He’s not even in the top 100. The best defenders in the league are. But no I’m just being a hater. 

13 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It’s only worth it if you think Exum can work himself into being a starter. If he can it’s sctually a steal if you get him for 4years around 36. 

If he played like a point guard but just lacked the opportunity I'd be ok with this but he only attempted 20 shots outside 9 feet last year. 31 of his 42 made shots were varieties of layups or dunks. 

I'm not super convinced he develops into a point guard vs a 6'6 defense/slashing combo guard. 

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season

108th. 

Yep, but I’m the one underrating our player. Like I said earlier, it’s you overrating them. Sure you can find some stat that AG is elite at but that doesn’t round him out to be an elite defender. Look at that list. He’s not even in the top 100. The best defenders in the league are. But no I’m just being a hater. 

Imagine thinking defensive win shares was a measure of defensive ability. You can't even articulate what defensive win shares measure

Also, it’s not like I said I don’t think AG is a good defender. I literally said he’s overrated defensively and also said that could be due to poor coaching. 

He’s literally the one person you can’t say anything negative about on here. Ever since we drafted him. He’s gets a pass on everything. It’s really strange.